IGNORED

This prick on ebay needs stabbing through the face

oky2000

Send him a message stating he's obviously made a mistake with the decimal point and you'd be willing to pay the 29 Pounds 99 Pence BIN fee that he obviously intended to put on the auction.

Actually, it's not a bad looking machine. My XEGS keyboard looks like arse in comparison.

But, the thing with XEs I've found is that even a shitty one can be easily made to look good in a photo.

My 130XE has an ugly green tinge all over but for some reason looks much better in a photo than IRL.

Edited by Rybags

This is about the 3rd relisting of that XE. I sent the seller a message when it 1st appeared asking "Are you serious?" He told me that I obviously don't know anything about the vintage computer market.

Hell, if they're worth that (or the £480 for a boxed 800 on UK eBay now) I'm selling up and paying off my mortgage.

Hell, if they're worth that (or the £480 for a boxed 800 on UK eBay now) I'm selling up and paying off my mortgage.

Yeah you mean this one

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3803374895241?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380337489524&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I saw that one too. And it is an NTSC machine?!? Which are rather common.

They are crazy. In The Netherlands we also have such a guy: HQ-Retrogramecomputers or something like that. He has trying to make profit on the Shipping costs too for ages.

I understand people try to make money. I'm ok with that. But some are pushing it too much ;)

And I don't know what I would do: when those prices are real... I am afraid when I sell everything there is so much on the market, that the price will fall down to nothing ;)

Edited by Marius1976

Notice that it says ARARI XE....must be a clone or sommat (perhaps clone's are worth more then the original/best)

As for the price....perhaps he bought a proto or gold plated mobo one from curt....doubtfull but worth a shot (perhaps there's an engraving of JT somewhere on the mobo)

Edited by carmel_andrews

It's all well and good saying he's free to charge what he wants, which is absolutely true (although he won't get a sale), but what's frustrating for the rest of us is that it gives other potential sellers a completely false set of expectations regarding the actual worth of these items. I was complaining about high starting prices the other day. The fact is, sellers should observe the time-honoured rule of the low start bid. It's a proven way of generating interest in an item.

The best thing to do with sellers like these is to completely ignore them, IMO.

I agree. Stabbing them through the face is probably an over reaction.

Quite so. The OP's sentiment is a little... vivid. :)

I think he needs to let go and let us know what he really thinks!!

• Like 1

sad truth is, people are more interested in making a quick buck, and all this is gonna do is make people think these are worth much more then they are. Then you will get sphincter's who have the unfortunate attitude of 'well yuck foo, this IS worth how much i am listing it for, and if you cheap mofo's wont pay what (i think) its worth, i will destroy/chuck it.'

unfortunately, i have seen this happen... it was a C64, so wasnt a big loss, but i am sure it has happened with Atari and other stuff... (i have seen this in auto parts too :'/ )

Al: yes the language is a little rough i would tend to agree... but the sentiment i would agree with :')

sloopy.

Ahh what is it with you Atari 8-bit users and getting overly emotional about stuff? Heh. If you can sell an XEGS for 600 bucks, more power to you. If you can sell it for 6 cents, more power to you.

Have you ever considered that maybe somebody really WANTS to spend that much on an XEGS? And what if they do? Are you going to deny them that desire in life?

I think even Fibrewire would rather buy the NIB NTSC model selling for around $125.

I know! Best and B&C are my blue book value reference. If things approach 75% of what Atari retailers are asking, well I'd rather just buy it from the retailer.

Ahh what is it with you Atari 8-bit users and getting overly emotional about stuff? Heh. If you can sell an XEGS for 600 bucks, more power to you. If you can sell it for 6 cents, more power to you.

Have you ever considered that maybe somebody really WANTS to spend that much on an XEGS? And what if they do? Are you going to deny them that desire in life?

altho i agree to the over-reacting, the problem with offering these items for such insanely high prices, makes it so people believe they are worth that much and can only be had for hundreds of dollars... now this creates two fold issue, first it makes its so people who are interested in the platform, wont bother getting into it beyond playing some in an emulator (altho some will do this no matter the cost), but it also puts the community at large into a position of, wether they want to continue to even collect such high dollar stuff... not all of us have deep pockets to go on buying sprees like fibrewire ;'), and many will just get disgusted and leave...

i have seen this before in other hobbies, and its not a good thing. most people dont mind spending money once they get into a hobby, but when the hobby has a high price of admission its something that is a different story. many will decide its just not worth the upfront cost to get into, and this hurts us all...

sloopy.

• Like 2

What's the choice of platform got to do with it? That strikes me as a rather odd comment.

Cartainly, I'd love to have made 500GBP on the 130XE I sold recently. £1,000 would have been even better, though, and 100,000 ideal. However, I doubt it's going to happen in my lifetime, although I certainly wouldn't deny anyone the pleasure and privilege of blowing that much money on my stuff.

Doubtless there is some eccentric millionaire out there who'll pay ludicrous amounts of money for vintage Atari stuff (other than Fibrewire, that is :) ). And maybe there'll be an occasion where a rare prototype with a modest reserve and reasonable starting price will prompt a frenzied bidding war, and fetch a four figure sum. That would be quite exciting for bidder and buyer alike.

But to list an XEGS with a yellowed keyboard at that price? Greed or stupidity can be the only explanations IMO. If he sells it, good luck to him (and we're hardly in a position to "deny" anyone anything, since people can do what they like, but that doesn't mean we can't point out the irrationality of their actions). However, I believe this is the second or third time of listing, and he clearly isn't learning his lesson. And the issue of the disinformation such a one-off sale is sending out to other would-be sellers is a real one.

Moreover, those who have sent him a message pointing out that the decimal place in the price is one digit too far to the right are doing the guy a favour. If he got realistic, he'd waste less time relisting the item and get to spend more time enjoying the money he made from its sale. Of course he is free to disregard our pleas. It's all part of eBay's gradual decline. This is why more sales by people "in the know" are being conducted on alternative sites, or privately on the forums.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Just seems like he doesn't REALLY want to sell. I've seen other sellers price items way out of range, at least for me, but who knows how long they want to wait. Just watched a 'buy now' that didn't make sense to me. A 800XL with a broken key and a badly yellowed case 'on sale' for $22. So I'm thinking might be alright as a parts donor, but after 15 days into the listing the seller bumped the price to $29?!?! A tested, un-broken 800XL goes for $30-$40; so what are they thinking?

For the most part, everyone on this forum has bought or will buy from Ebay, so WE are to blame for the prices going up. Everyone needs to sell off all our gear and software at one time! This will force the value back to junk store prices. Oh, and stop inventing cool new mods that just make people want to play around with these old 'puters

Van