IGNORED

Defender

Just finished playing the excellent port of Williams defender on the Atari 8-bit. and as enjoyable the experience is of having my arse kicked within 3 levels of play. There is something that has always bothered me with this port and like many other arcade ports on the Atari 8 bit. It's the little things that have been left out, or have not been made quite well enough, that exist in the original arcade versions that takes some of the magic away.

1 lack of a decent title screen and attract mode

2, The beefy sound effects, especially that unforgettable sound in the arcade version when you press the player one button. (possibly samples could have been used)

3, The use of extra joystick buttons as an option. For example the sega mega drive or other compatible three button joy-pads that could implement the use of the smart bombs and hyperspace.

Is there anyone out there able and willing to hack any, or all of these features in to the existing port? This would a be great!

I am sure I am not alone in this. and I am sure there are are a whole list of arcade ports that will pop up in a wish list, for a hacked version for what ever the reason. For example look at missile command, and then look at missile command + the improvements make the game 10 times better, and so much closer to the original arcade game.

Edited by cgfatari79

Many of of the Williams sound effects are based on simple algorithms and would actually be quite possible on Pokey. It's just somewhat time consuming to find the perfect settings. Necromancer is a good example of the kind of effects you can get with some experimentation.

Atari def cheaped out on the arcade ports for the 8-bit. Hell some of the 'Atarisoft' ports to other platforms are better than the 8bit versions :(

Really? I always thought most of them were pretty good.

Tempest

• Like 3

Atari def cheaped out on the arcade ports for the 8-bit. Hell some of the 'Atarisoft' ports to other platforms are better than the 8bit versions :(

Tempest

The original Dig Dug release - even the fixed version is muddy looking.

Centipede is half arsed

Pac Man original release crammed to 8k removing the intermissions

Missile Command seems like a weekend effort for a simple game

Defender shouldve been smoother - but I wont complain too much about this one

Kangaroo is pretty weak graphics wise

Just my $0.02

Tempest

Me too - the Atari XL/XE ports are really good for the most part. I do wonder why games like Galaxian are so much better on the CV though. CV Galaxian is just about as arcade perfect as you can get from a console of that era IMO.

Tempest

Me too - the Atari XL/XE ports are really good for the most part. I do wonder why games like Galaxian are so much better on the CV though. CV Galaxian is just about as arcade perfect as you can get from a console of that era IMO.

Im glad you brought Galaxian up - again it looks top notch except they couldnt be bothered to include a graphic for the 'boss' ship up top and instead reuse the enemy graphic.

Very perplexing on the things Atari decided to skimp on

Tempest

The original Dig Dug release - even the fixed version is muddy looking.

Centipede is half arsed

Pac Man original release crammed to 8k removing the intermissions

Missile Command seems like a weekend effort for a simple game

Defender shouldve been smoother - but I wont complain too much about this one

Kangaroo is pretty weak graphics wise

Just my $0.02

Most of those are still very good. The later Dig Dug release is pretty common (I find it odd the old port is always brought up when the newer is widely available) and an excellent port. Kangaroo is very good gameplay wise and there aren't any better home ports. The Missile Command port is closer than the 2600 port, has the other features aside from the silos intact, and supports trackball, hardly a weekend effort. I found the ports to be generally well done, and even Centipede is much better than I originally thought (it has that odd slowdown when firing a shot and graphics could be better, but has the arcade elements intact). I wonder why Super Breakout isn't mentioned much. Very nice port with paddle support.

The Atari 800/5200 Galaxian is odd (especially how it starts with 3 boss galaxians), but the gameplay is well done and I like how the ship seems to move faster than other versions.

Edited by BrianC

Now Galaxians is a very good example when it comes to poor audio and in some respects graphics when compared to the Arcade original.

After booting up you are presented with the player field with just a rolling colour title above. Then there was those awful whining sound effects you got when the aliens swooped down at you. But having said all that It, just like the defender port It did have great game play. So not really the end of the world! But I really feel so much more could have been done to improve the overall look and feel of the games ported over to the Atari.

Still it was not always the case for example crystal castles, donkey kong, joust, and dig dug very closely resembled there arcade originals in the audio department.

Now Galaxians is a very good example when it comes to poor audio and in some respects graphics when compared to the Arcade original.

After booting up you are presented with the player field with just a rolling colour title above. Then there was those awful whining sound effects you got when the aliens swooped down at you. But having said all that It, just like the defender port It did have great game play. So not really the end of the world! But I really feel so much more could have been done to improve the overall look and feel of the games ported over to the Atari.

Still it was not always the case for example crystal castles, donkey kong, joust, and dig dug very closely resembled there arcade originals in the audio department.

The port also could have been done much worse. Apple II, Vic 20, and C64 are good examples. Some ports had much less than that color cycling title. I also found the Moon Patrol port to be well done, despite the ugly car graphic and having 5200 symbols on the title screen.

I noticed a lot of complaints are about the graphics and sound. Some C64 ports were better graphically, but paled in comparison gameplay wise. Dig Dug is a good example (compared to later 800 port). Better graphics, but somewhat buggy in the gameplay department.

Edited by BrianC

I would imagine some of the features you describe were left out in order to make it fit within 16K.

It would be definitely be cool to see an enhanced Defender.

tjb

It's called DropZone (PAL only folks) :P

Agreed. DropZone has some really great effects. I especially like the title screen and screen that shows the enemies and their point values.

tjb

It's called DropZone (PAL only folks) :P

I agree that Dropzone was a great Defender clone, but what makes you say it was PAL only? I remember playing this on my NTSC 800 XL back in the day without any problems that you would usually see with PAL titles on NTSC (like Chimera, for example). :?

Drop Zone is not PAL only..

I have my original disk, and the package it came in, that I bought at Electronics Boutique in the Mall, back in like 88 or 89. Works great on an NTSC machine, and I damned sure bought it here in the states..

And yeah, it totally kicks Defender's ass.. Especially the explosion sound when you die.. heh..

I have my original disk, and the package it came in, that I bought at Electronics Boutique in the Mall, back in like 88 or 89. Works great on an NTSC machine, and I damned sure bought it here in the states..

And yeah, it totally kicks Defender's ass.. Especially the explosion sound when you die.. heh..

Ok it runs on NTSC but I believe it is too hard to play :ponder: checkout the comments and interview on atarimania ;)

Ok it runs on NTSC but I believe it is too hard to play :ponder: checkout the comments and interview on atarimania ;)

I wonder how hard it would be to hack. If you could get the game to do nothing every 6th frame it should be just about perfect.

Dropzone is everything Defender on the 8bit should have been BUT I have to say I still think Atari defender is bloody good for a port compared to many other rather shoddy ports.

Games like Gorf, Gyruss, Berzerk were pretty good goes at ports while Atari should hang its head in shame at Space invaders, Galaxian and Asteroid.

When I say pretty good I mean the game captured the feel and look (graphical abilities allowing), gameplay should follow the original as best as possible and the player should feel like its the arcade at home rather than feeling it has the look sort off but its different and plays different.

Remaking an arcade game needs skill and thought, Galactic Chase was a million times better as Galaxian, Dropzone kicked defenders back side while Deluxe Invaders gave atari home users a good Space Invaders.

Bryan... aehm... no? do you want to stop the scrolling, the pixel movements etc for 1 frame? no...

Why not? How do you move something at fractional speeds? You advance it on some frames and not on others. We're just trying to slow the whole game down.

I though they did a hell of a good job on the Intellivision ports.

The Intellivision ports weren't done by the usual Atari staff, but programmers that worked on other games for the Intellivision. I found the Atarisoft ports in general to vary in quality. Some are better than Atari's ports, but others aren't as good. The Intellivision and Colecovision ones are all good stuff, but C64, Apple II, Vic 20, DOS, and TI99/4a ports seem to be a mixed bag.

Mclaneinc, I agree a port should try to be close to the arcade, but I disagree that it's a requirement for a game to be very good. I found the port of Space Invaders to be very enjoyable despite not being close to the arcade (though I do like the 2600 one better). Also with Galaxian, it's an odd one, but it gets the dive patterns better than some other ports and the faster ship helps it gameplay wise.