IGNORED

Just in case you missed this - Star Raiders

Subby

Gameplay videos

See above for link

See above for link

I might check out the PC version when it comes out... not expecting a great game though.

Well after looking at the videos, I give it a resounding "Meh".

I got no sense of speed when the ships were dogfighting. Was he just sitting there and pivoting in place?

Edited by Subby
  • Like 1

Just played the trial version - the last part involves a dogfight with some Zylon fighters.

Your ship just seems to sit there, the Zylons zip about at three times the speed. Even with thrust on full it looks like you're not really moving at all unless you have another ship nearby to use as a reference.

Parts look promising with weapons upgrades and customization but the tutorial has kind of put me off buying the full game. The graphics are OK, not fantastic. Sound is good enough but initial impressions suggest this was a waste of the Star Raiders franchise.

A space combat game without any sense of motion in space flight. Nice. Did anyone look at it before they released it ??

There are many modern space shooters? What modern space shooters are there besides X3?

I just finished Darkstar One, which is approximately one billion times better than what I'm seeing in these videos here.

What do you do when you've got nearly unlimited graphics power and no new ideas? The only thing I see moving forward in the games industry is the accuracy of simulation games.

I am not here to (just) whine, though. I have a solution: game designers need free access to LSD. Lock those guys in a room where they're convinced the walls are bleeding and Elvis is trying to play jump-rope with their intestines, and you'll get some original games.

I am the walrus m****r f****r!

• Like 1

actually, you need to stick the **ARTISTS** on LSD. They're the ones already F**ked in the head. The programmers need to keep their synapses intact :)

Every bankrupt game and software developer you never heard of already tried the "lets put the developers on drugs" approach. Heh.

I just finished Darkstar One, which is approximately one billion times better than what I'm seeing in these videos here.

Hey, that's one I haven't heard of. Funny, there are two relatively recent games out with the Darkstar moniker.

Every bankrupt game and software developer you never heard of already tried the "lets put the developers on drugs" approach. Heh.

Seems to have worked out for Jeff Minter.

Hey, speaking of LSD and space shooters, I found this when looking for modern 3d space shooters earlier. :lust:

He jokingly referenced once that if given a thousand euros, he would spend it on drugs and hookers.

Thing about being smart... would you prefer a time-comsumptive long-winded technical explanation involving theory and background information pertaining to the source of the original idea that you won't even care about? Or "I do drugs" :)

I found this when looking for modern 3d space shooters earlier.

Interesting. You know what I thought when I saw that? That's what Tron Legacy should have looked like! I found so many of the visuals in the new movie drab and boring.

Interesting. You know what I thought when I saw that? That's what Tron Legacy should have looked like! I found so many of the visuals in the new movie drab and boring.

The Polynomial : Space of the music is an excellent way of representing 3D within 2D confined space. Gives the feeling of depth with a 2D screen.

Even though it's a matter of opinion, Tron: Legacy visuals weren't mind blowingly impressive unless you saw it in IMAX 3D. I just got it on Blu-Ray, and it triggers my memories of seeing the thing in 3D. The sheer resolution and depth of the Finite space constraints created in the world of tron were best viewed in IMAX 3D, coupled with the IMAX sound system. Only way to recreate the effect is to go to a consumer electronics store and demo Tron: Legacy in 3D on the biggest TV they have and the sound cranked up :D

Fantastic movie - was just as impressive as the origina for it's time.

Hey, that's one I haven't heard of. Funny, there are two relatively recent games out with the Darkstar moniker.

Hey, speaking of LSD and space shooters, I found this when looking for modern 3d space shooters earlier. :lust:

Well thing is, Minter has never touched LSD (and since he doesn't lie about pot, alcohol, or his partner, I tend to believe what he says).

Tried the demo of Polynomial - the visuals are cool, my machine never drops below 60FPS, but it certainly doesn't have the feel or gameplay of any of Minter's stuff.

I don't want to go too far off topic, but I saw it in Imax and I think they made a mistake by making the digital world look too much like the real one (except all blue-gray), especially once the game grid stuff was over. I wanted a more far-out and impossible looking place.

Well thing is, Minter has never touched LSD (and since he doesn't lie about pot, alcohol, or his partner, I tend to believe what he says)

I wasn't aware. I suppose it's possible he's just that way. Salvador Dali claimed not to do drugs too. If he hasn't, he should. I'm sure he would find it illuminating. Do you have citation by any chance?

Yeah.. There were tons of PS1 and PS2 games that were alot better.. What a letdown... The ATARI community should all get together and sign a petition to make them change the name of that piece of shit. It's not worthy... Not by a long shot..

Reminds me of the crap hollywood pulls these days.. Come up with a kewl trailer, and name it the same as some series or film from the past that was good for it's day.. get people to come pay to see it, only to realize that it doesnt even come close to measuring up to the original..

How sad..

Well thing is, Minter has never touched LSD (and since he doesn't lie about pot, alcohol, or his partner, I tend to believe what he says)

I wasn't aware. I suppose it's possible he's just that way. Salvador Dali claimed not to do drugs too. If he hasn't, he should. I'm sure he would find it illuminating. Do you have citation by any chance?

I don't off hand, but the topic has come up many times at his forum (yakyak.org). He is an admitted pot smoker, casually drinks, but never dropped LSD. It's entirely possible he has a slight case of synesthesia. He has said that even as a young child, when listening to music he would close his eyes and "see" the music. This is why he has had his life long fascination with light synthesizers.

I know what he is talking about. I have always enjoyed listening to music, and it's best when in total darkness and alone. Beautiful color patterns. I think that's why I have no trouble playing his games. Most people bitch that they cannot see what is going on. You just have to learn to look past it and see the real game behind the lights :)