IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've found a few things recently. Some of the highlights:

* Namco Museum for Dreamcast, $3 w/instr

* A 3-button Genesis Power Stick $4, and two junker Genesis 1 consoles (at least one has a visible cold solder joint on its power supply jack) for $1 each

* Wild Arms 2 for PS1, $5, with cover sheets but no instructions

* N64 Goldeneye with instructions $4 (I already had one without instructions, and I should be able to get my money back by reselling the cartridge)

* six N64 games for a buck each, and one for $2, four of which I didn't already have (the other three are copies of Madden to be someday used for parts spares)

I passed up stuff one collector had that he was selling at a flea market, because I didn't have anything which would play *cough* PCE Hu-cards. Dude, the chance of someone wanting import Hu-cards (for $20-$25 each, no less) at a freaking flea market when you're not selling a console is really low. Those belong on ebay!

And I went ahead and got one of those $39.99 "used" (and in perfect condition) copies of Cubivore that every Game Stop supposedly has these days. Being an Atlus game, it's probably from a re-publishing run. The graphics are total ass, it has too many unskippable messages, but the first night I played it past 3AM. I'm at about 91 of 150 mutations so far. Then the next morning it took me a few minutes to realize why my thumb was sore. Now I know to hate that "bullseye" pattern on the GC analog stick. PS2 Dual Shock sticks are much easier on the thumbs. Anyhow, this game so needed a 2-player vs or cooperative mode of some sort.

Found today for $2.99 each:

2600-

Tomark The Barbarian

Strategy X

Ghost Manor/Spikes Peak

Infiltrate

Space Cavern

Master System-

Time Soldiers (complete)

1018445[/snapback]

Wow, nice finds there! Especially the Atari games!

1018633[/snapback]

And I found them, of all places, in a used video game shop. The lady had absolutly no idea what they were or what they were worth. :)

Picked up my 4 switch Tele-Games Atari VCS at a Goodwill for $4.75 with one joystick, one set of paddles, and one driving controller and Atari transformer. Has a gaping hole in the plastic at the back. I was going to use it for the cart-hack on my FB2... but, it works.

2 Sega Genesis 1 consoles... both working... $4.

The Tele-Games... I was driving home from a Doctor Appointment and a voice in my head literally said, "Go in there"...

And I drove by ignoring the voice... and about a mile later, turned around went back and went in... dug around, and there it was...

And I found them,  of all places, in a used video game shop. The lady had absolutly no idea what they were or what they were worth. :)

1019000[/snapback]

That's the kind of used video game store you want to shop at, a store where they don't jack up the price just because it's for an older machine. Or it could be a "we could sell it for twice that much on eBay" kind of store. :roll:

Today, I bought Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Batman Forever for the Sega Saturn, $4.98 each. And at a different store picked up TI Invaders and Hustle for the TI-99/4A for 65¢ each. I passed on a boxed TI-99/4A (missing the RF converter) for $15.99 at the Goodwill in Irving, TX. I really didn't need another one, i've already got five TI Home Computers, don't think I need another one. :)

Edited by SteveW

I just found this thrift store thread here :)..

In the past month or so, I been doing some serious buying of Genesis and 32X. Not for collecting, but to resell to buy more Atari :). Not shown is the one trip I made I bought 31 Genesis 2 consoles, 2 32X attachements. Attached are some pics of what I pics of what I found:

post-6690-1140098822_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098858_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098873_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098885_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098902_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098916_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098931_thumb.jpg

post-6690-1140098952_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariauctions

Yesterday I was running a little late to class, but I decided "what the hell" and stopped by this no-name thrift shop on Orange Avenue in Orlando having stopped by Goodwill on Orange Blossom Trail to pick up an N64 cartridge shelf for $1.79 after student discount (Genesis and SNES games fit perfect in it too!). Found numerous NES/SNES loose titles (including a boxed Street Fighter II for SNES) ranging anywhere from $2 to $6. I passed up on them though. I DID however pick up a WingMan Warrior for under $4 (boot for hatswitch missing, slight damage to the foam on button 3, rubber boot around the bottom of the joystick handle's all funky). Also at that one Goodwill (sadly their "closeout store" wasn't open since it was after 5pm) I spotted an HP DeskJet 6450 for $10, but decided to pass it up as I wasn't sure about its working condition. Might stop by that no-name store and pick up the Gyromite cart to see if it has an FC-NES converter.

[Edit] Turns out the trim dials weren't set. The stick works as either a "3-axis, 4-button joystick" or a "2-axis, 4-button joystick with POV".

Edited by NightSprinter

I hit it big at the Goodwill salvage store (I refuse to use their "upscale" name of "blue hanger") tonight. I found some good stuff AND it was after 5PM when they stop putting out new stuff.

First of all, the big stuff. A CD-I player for $5! It seems to work, but the door won't automatically close all the way. That's still better than my other CD-I player. No controller, so I've got to find my CD-I stuff somewhere. But it does play CDs.

I also got a Bishop Graphics Coolglo Light Table for $5. (acutally it's a tabletop light table, no legs) Not only does it work, but it has an extra flourescent bulb rolling around inside. It could use a new AC cord, though. Its cord is getting frayed where it goes in, and someone broke off the ground tab from the plug.

An SNES game for $1.50. Not just any SNES game, but a desirable one too: Super Mario All Stars!

A 64 meg memory stick with 60 megs of MP3s (which means about a dozen of 'em) downloaded from allofmp3.com (a couple of which I would actually listen to), mixed in with a pile of small parts.

Also in the pile of small parts, a Coleco Gemini Y-cable. I know it's from a Coleco Gemini because I passed up a Gemini and a 2600 there yesterday. Also, I can tell it's from Coleco by the plug molding and the styrofoam stuck on it. This place wants five bucks for "game systems" (goodwill just has too much of an attitude about pricing, especially when they throw stuff in bins without sorting it), and I just have too many 2600s in storage that I haven't done anything with.

And 21 clear blue NES cartridge cases, plus two more clear blue N64 cases, 10 cents each!

found a WICO joystick (the one with the second fire button on the ball) for 38 cents at Goodwill. guess they were having a sale Thursday, the sticker said 50 cents.

not really video games, but a couple weeks before at another local Goodwill i found an old Roland drum machine for $12. i collect old Roland gear so that one was a treat to find.

Snagged yet another '77 original-release cartridge (Surround, but was missing the end-label sadly) for $.90 with a student discount at Cybertron Video Games over at FleaWorld, and a friend of mine who went with me managed to find a boxed copy of Electroplankton (I think it was $25, I just know it was under $35 boxed, and a Gyromite cartridge for $1.99 that had the FamiCom converter in it (he actually weighed the cartridge compared to another one).

Saturday was a jackpot day! It's been a while since I've had one of those.

At one thrift I found an Apple IIGS with 3.5" drive, 5.25" drive, keyboard, mouse, and the original documentation for every last bit of it, all for $10! Took it home, plugged it all in, and found it all works! As an added bonus, I cracked open the case and discovered it had a memory expansion card. The card looks full, so this baby just might have more than a megabyte of memory in it. I've been wanting one of these for a long time now, so it was especially nice finding a complete system like this. I even found the owner's manual for an Apple RGB monitor in the stack of docs, so that just might still be hiding back at the store somewhere. I'll have to keep an eye out for that next weekend.

I also picked up the boxes and manuals for NES Tetris (Nintendo) and Dr. Mario for twenty cents total, and a loose Genesis Sonic & Knuckles for fifty cents. Good day!

Well, it's a President's Day here in the USA...so I decided to celebrate by going thrifting. I hit a bunch of stores in the metro Boston area and came up pretty empty. At one of my last stops, I bought about 10 NES games and a controller. I'd never seen a couple of the game before--they are by "American Video Entertainment" and are in black cart cases. "Mermaids of Atlantis" and "Pyramid." They both have instructions as well (no sleeves). I played both and wasn't very impresed...any NES people want these, send me a PM. Otherwise, it is off to eBay for'em!

The rest of the games included Yoshi, Faxanadu, StarTropics, Archon, Digget T. Rock, and the Krion Conquest.

It's very tempting to start a NES collection, but I just can't do it. I'll just keep a shelf of my favorites for now.

I saw absolutely NO Atari stuff, though. Not even a lone combat.

and a friend of mine who went with me managed to find a boxed copy of Electroplankton (I think it was $25, I just know it was under $35 boxed

1021280[/snapback]

Whoa! Electroplankton is at a flea market already? It' only a month old, and is only sold via mail orderin the US. Perhaps you got a Japanese one that someone imported and didn't like?

I think that it's really a cool app as it is more of a gizmo than a game, but it seems that lots of reviews are disappointed in it because it doesn't have any competitive angle to it, nor any unlockables. From a musical point of view, it's hard to create anything meaningful in it as it is set up to be really easy and do little repeating patterns, but they are soothing and the overall experience is still fun.

I hope that you enjoy it - especially hooked up to a stereo. The DS has some very nice sound chips in there.

and a friend of mine who went with me managed to find a boxed copy of Electroplankton (I think it was $25, I just know it was under $35 boxed

1021280[/snapback]

Whoa! Electroplankton is at a flea market already? It' only a month old, and is only sold via mail orderin the US. Perhaps you got a Japanese one that someone imported and didn't like?

I think that it's really a cool app as it is more of a gizmo than a game, but it seems that lots of reviews are disappointed in it because it doesn't have any competitive angle to it, nor any unlockables. From a musical point of view, it's hard to create anything meaningful in it as it is set up to be really easy and do little repeating patterns, but they are soothing and the overall experience is still fun.

I hope that you enjoy it - especially hooked up to a stereo. The DS has some very nice sound chips in there.

1021494[/snapback]

I just asked my friend on AIM since he went back home today (he came up to visit from another city). He got it brand-new still sealed for $30. It IS the American version. He just registered the game at Nintendo's official website and didn't have a problem in doing so. I'd hae to say that was quite an interesting find for him. I was tempted to pick up a copy of Star-Wars Arcade for the 32x for a couple bucks before student discount, but decided against it. Plus I saw a JVC X'Eye at the booth "Kids at Heart". Forgot the price, but I noticed some of his stuff was slightly pricey (I think around $45 for a Jaguar with DOOM cartrige), and around $35 for a Lynx II with two games case and battery pack (not sure on the batterypack).

I just asked my friend on AIM since he went back home today (he came up to visit from another city).  He got it brand-new still sealed for $30. 

=======

Plus I saw a JVC X'Eye at the booth "Kids at Heart".  Forgot the price, but I noticed some of his stuff was slightly pricey (I think around $45 for a Jaguar with DOOM cartrige), and around $35 for a Lynx II with two games case and battery pack (not sure on the batterypack).

1021710[/snapback]

Electroplankton is being sold for around $35, but tack shipping onto that and your friend saved $10-15. Not bad.

The other prices that you're citing seem pretty high, though around $35 would be fair for an X-eye. They're really neat, and have better sound reproduction than a regular ol' Genesis. They also play CD+G Karaoke discs if that's important to you. :D

1021280[/snapback]

1021494[/snapback]

I just asked my friend on AIM since he went back home today (he came up to visit from another city). He got it brand-new still sealed for $30. It IS the American version. He just registered the game at Nintendo's official website and didn't have a problem in doing so. I'd hae to say that was quite an interesting find for him. I was tempted to pick up a copy of Star-Wars Arcade for the 32x for a couple bucks before student discount, but decided against it. Plus I saw a JVC X'Eye at the booth "Kids at Heart". Forgot the price, but I noticed some of his stuff was slightly pricey (I think around $45 for a Jaguar with DOOM cartrige), and around $35 for a Lynx II with two games case and battery pack (not sure on the batterypack).

1021710[/snapback]

You should have picked that 32x Star Wars game up. I think it's about the best game for the 32X!

You should have picked that 32x Star Wars game up.  I think it's about the best game for the 32X!

1021871[/snapback]

I know, but I only had a buck or two to spend outside of food. Right now I'm having to deal with some major spinal problems, and trying to find a way to legally get enough money for an MRI done without a loan. If I end up on disability as a result, I might be able to afford a few games a month. Beside, the games I see there are virtually the same whenever I go back.

I found a Sega Saturn today, the later model with round buttons, at GW for $5. It seems to work fine, except the CD door doesn't pop up fully. I think the spring might by weak or its off track??

Edit:

I fixed the door, the spring was off its hinge. Now it works as new.

Edited by Prodos8