IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

So my local auctions allow me to do phone bids or place bids for me. So last Friday there was an auction and since it is about 45 minutes away I no longer drive out there and wait 3-4 hrs to possibly win. I now just do phone bids and such. So Last Wednesday I called and told them I wanted to do a phone bid on the snes games. Then Friday I changed my mind as I wanted to take my boys to a truck and tractor pull.

I called them back up and said I couldn't do a phone bid just put me down for $80. I never heard anything all weekend and just assumed I was outbid. Got a call yesterday telling me I won for $41.58 LOL. It's nice they keep your max bid concealed and let others open up the bids and then bid on your behalf. This means the only other person who bid against me bid $30 and I got it for $35 plus fees. Unreal LOL.

So I went there just now and nabbed my score.

post-25078-0-85909400-1470771680_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-64575200-1470771683_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming you grabbed that lot just for Super Mario RPG B)

Baseball Simulator 2,000 is a really good game, too.

Never played Paladin's Quest, that game has really weird graphics. Kind of reminds me of Fantasy Zone, in a way.

I haven't posted any of my finds in a while, though they're pretty lame compared to what you guys have been finding.

Mostly just the occasional CD, which is hard to turn down at $1.50 a pop...found Peter Gabriel's third album on vinyl for $3 the other day at CD Exchange B)

Probably the best find, a few weeks ago, we found the complete Seinfeld collection on DVD for $15, looks and smells like it's never even been opened.

Some of you must still live near Goodwills that don't immediately send stuff off to their auction site or it depends on the population near the Goodwill. Ours pretty much stopped having anything game related about three years ago with the exception of a really old sports title or old educational games. I have my pick of cell phone chargers though!

The Zelda game and Paper Mario generally go for $50 in our retro stores and I imagine the Wario World would be just as expensive. Congrats.

Went to Walmart last night and took a stroll by the electronics section. They had one of those big $5 DVD bins filled with clearance games, and this time, they had some decent stuff for a change!

RxDfIr9.jpg
MGSV: Day One Edition was $7.50, DOA 5 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel were $5 each, and the Sly Cooper trilogy was $13. That Monster Cable power strip was $10. They had a ton of other stuff, including Shovel Knight for the PS4 for $7.50, which I should have bought even though I don't have a PS4.

I probably should have bought the PS4 copy I have just to have it on the shelf.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not a fan of double-dipping, so I was pretty bummed when they announced a physical release way after I'd already bought it from the eShop.

Having a similar dilemma with the Sega 3D Classics collection, though I know I should still pick it up, since I only have three of the games on it.

Wow, any piece of arcade hardware in the wild is an incredible find. Nice score, Grig!

I don't have any video game stuff to brag about this go 'round, but I have added some nice bits to the music collection...

post-6115-0-11472600-1471818290_thumb.jpg

Another fresh batch of '80s albums.

post-6115-0-33143300-1471818319_thumb.jpg

Some interesting 45's. The first is a Spanish-language version of "I Know You're out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues. The band did it themselves, singing new lyrics over the original instruments. Oddly the label claims this is in stereo, but the mix is actually mono. Have a gander on YouTube if you're curious.

The second is a old Venezuelan promo EP. Among its four songs is "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel, or rather, "Simón & Garfunkel". No Spanish singing here, though.

The final is an obscure promo 45 that attached itself to a very big moment in history. '60s duo Jon & Robin recorded "There's an American Flag on the Moon", which was then shipped to radio stations to play in celebration of Apollo 11's moon landing. Sadly this particular 45 didn't include the DJ instructions, which were rather morbidly amusing. The song itself is nothing special, but it's on YouTube too so you can decide for yourself.

post-6115-0-43856500-1471819342_thumb.jpg

And finally, my first prerecorded 4-track tape reel, featuring the Guess Who's Canned Wheat. I don't know that my mother was what you would call an audiophile, but she did appreciate good music and good playback, and I remember her reel-to-reel getting a lot of use in my early childhood. When I found this, I messaged her a picture, figuring it would stir up some memories. Her response: "You ARE buying it, right?" I answered, "Of course I am!" She replied, "Okay, you are my son after all."

I actually didn't find this reel at the thrift store I work at, but one of my other regular stops. There were several to look at, but this was the only classic rock tape. The rest were classical, except for a Henry Mancini tape I thought about before passing over. As I was paying, the shop owner mentioned a Beatles tape was in the original batch. I would have been jealous, except that when she mentioned how much she got for it, I decided I wasn't that jealous!

Very cool stuff! I keep forgetting theres some vinyl fans here and I could post some of my finds. I don't post them on the audio forum because I sell there also and some people think If I find a rare album cheaply I should sell it that way too. One intersting but not super valuable one I picked up recently though was a copy of the Silent Running soundtrack on green vinyl. It didn't have a cover though :(

Do you have a Reel to Reel player? I don't have one but would like to find one eventually. I recently sold a bunch of factory pre-recorded tapes I got in an estate sale lot and would have messaged you if I knew you were interested.

Wow, any piece of arcade hardware in the wild is an incredible find. Nice score, Grig!

I don't have any video game stuff to brag about this go 'round, but I have added some nice bits to the music collection...

attachicon.gif2016-08-20-1.jpg

Another fresh batch of '80s albums.

attachicon.gif2016-08-20-2.jpg

Some interesting 45's. The first is a Spanish-language version of "I Know You're out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues. The band did it themselves, singing new lyrics over the original instruments. Oddly the label claims this is in stereo, but the mix is actually mono. Have a gander on YouTube if you're curious.

The second is a old Venezuelan promo EP. Among its four songs is "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel, or rather, "Simón and Garfunkel". No Spanish singing here, though.

The final is a obscure promo 45 that attached itself to a very big moment in history. '60s duo Jon & Robin recorded "There's an American Flag on the Moon", which was then shipped to radio stations to play in celebration of Apollo 11's moon landing. Sadly this particular 45 didn't include the DJ instructions, which were rather morbidly amusing. The song itself is nothing special, but it's on YouTube too so you can decide for yourself.

attachicon.gif2016-08-20-3.jpg

And finally, my first prerecorded 4-track tape reel, featuring the Guess Who's Canned Wheat. I don't know that my mother was what you would call an audiophile, but she did appreciate good music and good playback, and I remember her reel-to-reel getting a lot of use in my early childhood. When I found this, I messaged her a picture, figuring it would stir up some memories. Her response: "You ARE buying it, right?" I answered, "Of course I am!" She replied, "Okay, you are my son after all."

I actually didn't find this reel at the thrift store I work at, but one of my other regular stops. There were several to look at, but this was the only classic rock tape. The rest were classical, except for a Henry Mancini tape I thought about before passing over. As I was paying, the shop owner mentioned a Beatles tape was in the original batch. I would have been jealous, except that when she mentioned how much she got for it, I decided I wasn't that jealous!

Diamond Sun is another great Glass Tiger album, their second I believe - though it got very limited airplay except for "I'm Still Searching". Their third studio album was a big disappointment for me but still a good band.

Strange Days indeed ... it's just not the same. :(

On another note, kinda sad seeing how bare this thread has become and how few finds get posted anymore. Sign of the times I guess. I don't even hunt anymore personally.

I don't get to hunt as often whilst on third shift...going to wake up early tomorrow to do a tiny bit, though.

Doubt I'll find anything =)