IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

(Hey, thanks for the picture of B'harne The Evil One gutted and with his head hanging on a pole!)

Here's what I found today. All items pictured were $3 each. Unfortunately, none of the Super Famicom games came without instructions except for Pro Mahjongg Tsuwamono.

Mmmmm... Torneko. That was a great PS1 title, sort of a Rogue-like dungeon crawl game.

post-4828-1099882505_thumb.jpg

i know that up about until 2001 or so, barney was produced in richardson, texas(somewhere near stevew's thrifting grounds, btw)

It's odd that you mentioned me, because my sister used to be the show's caterer. She used to have a jacket with the show's logo on it, too. She didn't like working there, though. She also used to cater Walker, Texas Ranger, and hated that show too.

@wrenchien

How many stuffed dolls/animals do you have?

... honestly, i've lost count. perhaps hundreds of them by now.

and most of them i find broken.. but i try to repair some out of sympathy for the rough times many have in the hands of kids , adults, and ebayers who don't play fair.. or so softly.

i know that up about until 2001 or so, barney was produced in richardson, texas(somewhere near stevew's thrifting grounds, btw)

It's odd that you mentioned me, because my sister used to be the show's caterer. She used to have a jacket with the show's logo on it, too. She didn't like working there, though. She also used to cater Walker, Texas Ranger, and hated that show too.

i feel sympathy for your sister , having to endure that job i'm sure she's happy to not be a part of anymore..

because if i 'd had been unlucky to have ever had her job in her stead...

i'd seriously have worried in some dark moments while far from the hectic production schedule and unending happy songs, sometimes.. about the guy in that purple dino suit abomination.. no longer taking the suit off.. and demanding some 'nice kids' to be served him at lunch breaks.

also.. whether baby bop 's internal actor/actress suddenly doing the same thing or not..

especially if she changed her diet needs from vegetarian to humanitarian.

you're welcome, bruce tomlin.. i just despise that purple beast..

ok, here's today's thrift finds...

in addition to about 7 plushies (one of which was near oblivion, and the other, one of those homies called japon i've found in crane machines, just not outside of them, whom were fixed .. the japon had his hands freed from his pockets because that company thinks it's funny to make dolls with their hands fused to their pockets :( , and the little girl dollie... which was a orange haired example of a groovy girl from manhattan toys, and whom had suffered a massive tear in her back that was thusly fixed with some thread and needles i found at the flea....),

i found a atari 7800 for a couple of dollars, a joystick for the genesis for a couple of dollars, a $2 tengen paperboy for the genesis (which might be the only rare or so for genesis i'd believe to be), and an atari pac-man cart which , well, i'd been seeing for some time and finally got.

some $2 and $3 carts for genesis i'd likely pick up next week. if i go..

cause that's a great price for carts for that system.

it took me about two trips and one harrowing check cashing time at the wal mart nearby when some clerk didn't want to cash my check that had my name on it :x to get all this together..and i got upset but they understood at last it was my check i was cashing.. but what really unnerved me was, well..

... though the barney suit that i saw last week went bye bye, a whole bunch of toy barneys appeared ... so many it was scary..

so with not much trouble from the sellers.. who did understand why i hated barney when i told them...

.... a lot of little barneys and even a couple of baby bops got what they deserved for making a mockery of a rather cold day for me. all the b'harn'iii and their baby bops thusly suffered at multiple rebellions by cooler toys, which i'm sure would please bruce tomlin greatly. even the sneakers for babies with barney on them were'nt spared the wrath.

i guess this week was sort of a good day for me. it being the 13th, though, was a bad week.. for barney and his friends.

scarlet fever is teh suck,

wrenchien

post-5819-1100386634_thumb.jpg

... is utter drivel for children who think the world isn't full of terrorists and security cameras and spyware and politicians and lawyers and sleazes and telemarketers.. but they'll find out someday, the hard way, not everyone loves you .

Yes, lets scare small children about the terrorists. Give them the cold hard facts on Sesame Street. Show them the real "streets" :roll:

... though the barney suit that i saw last week went bye bye, a whole bunch of toy  barneys appeared ... so many it was scary..

Perhaps they spread their young like spiders. One big ball full of eggs that hatch and suddenly there's hundreds of baby spiders all over the place. Maybe what you saw last week was just the remains of the egg sac.

Dreamcast (Feb 2000), two controllers, VMU, $7. Another controller with rumble pack, $3. Eight CoCo carts, 50 cents each. Two NES carts that I didn't have, $3 each. GC Smash Bros Melee guide book, 50 cents. Half a dozen assorted game mags, 50 cents each. 2600 Pooyan (excellent condition), $3.

And I finally found a copy of Katamari Damacy while passing through New Braunfels. I guess all the ones in Austin got rolled up into balls of junk.

Damn, I'm a month behind in my favorite thread. :) I'm also a Laser Disc fan. The reason I got into them is that I was teaching at a film school, and at the time LD was the only way that you could get a clean pause and step through a scene with a jog wheel to analyze it. Since we had LD players at school, I bought one for home and started picking up movies (when I good afford them - yeesh they were expensive).

I had a weird experience with LD's in that even before I got the player, I went into an antique shop and in their back room the shelves were lined with thousands of LD's. Seems that a guy bought out the inventory of a video store and was going to watch all these movies in his retirement... then he died. They were selling these LD features for like $5 each, and many were letterboxed.

As my friends bailed on LD and got into DVD (which I've also got of course - eminently more practical) they gave me their collections of discs since they're pretty much worthless. Because of this, I've got a pretty healthy collection.

There's another side benefit to LD's is that more than once I've found them among records at the thrift store. I've bought letterboxed features for 50 cents! Not quite the picture quality of DVD, but plenty good enough.

Not only that, but htere are some interesting films out there that will never be re-released on DVD like some college recruitment LD's I've got (remember that because of its non-linear nature LD's were often used in training and sales), an LD kid's magazine, and some Japanese concerts that wil unlikely ever be rereleased. I've also got the original Star Wars discs - not the new DVD releases that monkeyed around with the original films. Bah on Lucas!

As for the CED format, when RCA introduced it in the late 70's they marketed it as "discovision". Pretty forward thinking, eh? It stunk for all of the reasons mentioned here, thouhg one fact that gets overlooked sometimes is that it was only marginally better than VHS wihch was well under half of broadcast resolution.

Laser Disc came some years after that, JVC flirted with a 7" video CD of some kind (the Japanese version of the X'eye Genesis clone can accomodate these discs) and of course there's VCD which was sold commercially in China, and then came DVD.

There's a really nice CED history page out there from some LD collector. I'm sure a quick Google search will turn it up.

Dreamcast console $4 (doesn't seem to work tho)

Sony Playstation dual flight stick $4

Parker Brothers Bank Shot handheld .75

GB Yoshi's Cookie & Battle Tetris crammed into Yoshi box .45

Found a couple 2600 games that I don't have in my girlfriend's basement: Imagic's Shootin' Gallery, and Fox's Bank Heist.

acoustic coupler TDD device for the phone $1

Superman on LaserDisc .75 (I don't know that I've ever seen the movie all the way through before. I gotta say that it's not a very good film, though ti was fun enough... and Reeve was a charmer in it)

Teac 20 band EQ $10

Pioneer Silver Series 80's amp $5

Scott 70's amp $5

Onkyo 70's amp $5

Tandberg 303 amp $2 (why all the old amps? They're all very high quality amplifiers from back in the day that you could get a good phono input stage in a stereo. These days if you want to hook up a turntable, you have to use phono pre-amps tha aren't always as good as the classic stereos of the 70's and 80's.)

Nakamichi Compact 1 stereo system + speakers (one of the earliest mini-systems that sounds awesome and was frightfully expensive in its day) $20

Garbage bag full of Lego - $4

Big bag of Domino Rally - $2

Ugliest Lamp ever .75 - It's a gold plastic sphere with a "fountain" of fiber optic spurting out of it. There's a motor and a light disc that keep this plume of fiber optic spinning while the whole thing changes colors with the light. Oh, and there's a wind up music box in the base of the thing. Staggering.

... though the barney suit that i saw last week went bye bye, a whole bunch of toy  barneys appeared ... so many it was scary..

Perhaps they spread their young like spiders. One big ball full of eggs that hatch and suddenly there's hundreds of baby spiders all over the place. Maybe what you saw last week was just the remains of the egg sac.

... yeah, perhaps.

though that would be real creepy if that was so. real creepy.

i hope on next weeks thrift trip (if taken) i see a lot less barneys.

I picked up a few games this weekend at a few goodwills. They are as followed:

Sega Genie

Jeopardy (CIB $2.50)

Barney's Hide and Seek (CIB $2.50)

Marko (CIB $2)

Toxic Crusaders (CIB $2)

Ariel The Little Mermaid ($1.50)

SNES

Mortal Kombat 2 ($1.50)

Tecmo Super Bowl ($1.50)

NES

Crystalis ($3.00)

Shadowgate ($3.00)

Ice Hockey ($3.00)

Super Mario 2 ($1.00)

Bases Loaded ($1.00)

Top Gun ($3.00)

Ms. Pac Man Namco version ($3.00)

Mickey Mousecapade ($5.00)

Tetris ($2.00)

Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 holes ($.50)

Tecmo Bowl ($.50)

Totally Rad ($.50)

Tecmo NBA Basketball ($2.00)

10-Yard Fight ($.50)

Star Tropics ($2.50)

Nigel Mansell's World Championship ($.50)

Double Dribble ($.50)

Karnov ($2.00)

Top Players Tennis ($.50)

So in total after my $5 coupon I spent about 42.50 on 26 games. Not too bad.

Atari 5200 games $3.00 each:

Moon Patrol- Loose

Buck Rogers- Loose

Popeye- Loose

Robotron 2084- Loose

Q*Bert -Good box and instructions

Keystone Kapers- Poor box

River Raid- Fair box

Frogger- Box missing top

Soccer- Poor box with overlay

Now I just need a 5200.

Saturday I got: