IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

4 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

No that is for early mac.  Not dos based.

Ahh well that must be trickier to get I would guess.  I didn't look that close other than the graphic and the text description as I'm supposedly working right now for a little bit longer. ;)  Kind of makes me want to look up what I once had, see if it's worth even maybe downloading it to see if it's fun enough to buy still.  I know those older versions as so dated they tend to be ridiculously cheap and I have a very GOOD joystick I got a few years back out of dumb luck from a thrift store for like $2 (at the time it ranged from $100+ in value, not sure if it still does but still..nice for star wars, wing commander, etc.)

Come to think of it, also used to be fairly solid with Falcon 5.0 and also Comanche Maximum Overkill.

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh well that must be trickier to get I would guess.  I didn't look that close other than the graphic and the text description as I'm supposedly working right now for a little bit longer. ;)  Kind of makes me want to look up what I once had, see if it's worth even maybe downloading it to see if it's fun enough to buy still.  I know those older versions as so dated they tend to be ridiculously cheap and I have a very GOOD joystick I got a few years back out of dumb luck from a thrift store for like $2 (at the time it ranged from $100+ in value, not sure if it still does but still..nice for star wars, wing commander, etc.)

Come to think of it, also used to be fairly solid with Falcon 5.0 and also Comanche Maximum Overkill.

Nice.  Macs did not have joysticks I think.

9 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

It looks like they did actually have joysticks.  But not sure if its worth buying.  I remember bitd a mouse worked just fine for flightnsimlator.  But interesting none the less.  Never knew joysticks existed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324186848376

One of those classic star/rainbow moments 'The More You Know' stuff. :D  I never really considered using a mouse, but I guess if you worked at it, that could be fairly useful given the sensitivity.  I'd be more afraid of having to keep picking it up and going nuts trying to pull a turn, but calibrated right it should mimic a stick well enough.  The earliest I ever had was the old black quickshot one with the 2 buttons on it, that was it, used it with the games I mentioned already (and MS flight) quite nicely.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

One of those classic star/rainbow moments 'The More You Know' stuff. :D  I never really considered using a mouse, but I guess if you worked at it, that could be fairly useful given the sensitivity.  I'd be more afraid of having to keep picking it up and going nuts trying to pull a turn, but calibrated right it should mimic a stick well enough.  The earliest I ever had was the old black quickshot one with the 2 buttons on it, that was it, used it with the games I mentioned already (and MS flight) quite nicely.

Yes pick up.  But when you start flying put the mouse dow.  No need to keep picking up the mouse.

I also have these.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2018/01/art-pad-11.html?m=1

1 minute ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Don't post links to things you are bidding on lol The less eyes that see it the more likely you are to win. But wow that controller has some of the worst ergonomics I have seen in a gamepad. Based on that I'm sure you'll win it.

Normally I would not post.  Or bid for that matter.  But I was surprised to learn any existed.  I never knew bitd any gamepads existed.  Ergonomics might not be the best.  But given the limited options I have not much choice.  pc had lots of accessories.  Mac not so much.  I doubt many companies produced adb pads.

11 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I wonder if a PC Engine controller would work on a Mac since they share the same connector... but I doubt it... most likely different pinout. 

MAC ADB is 5 pins and pc engine is 8pins.  Even if it was the same you still need drivers.  So no go. Had to be specifically designed for mac.

23 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Oh that Pac-Man Fever record was the album? I just assumed it was the 45 cause it looked the same size.

Record sleeve sizes are hard to judge without the record next to them.

Buckner & Garcia did indeed record a Pac-Man Fever album after the song made it big.  The album is chock full of cheesy odes to the early '80s arcade, with songs dedicated to Frogger, Defender, Centipede, Donkey Kong and several others.  In the late '90s, Buckner & Garcia released the album independently on CD, but because of music industry machinations they had to rerecord the songs for that release.  There's a capture of the original recordings on YouTube, so you can take a gander:

Coincidentally enough, I found my copy of the original album also at a Goodwill.  It's currently up on the wall with another thrift-store find...

PacManAlbums.thumb.jpg.2d023188a289c4540fab3e2dab86a21a.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

MAC ADB is 5 pins and pc engine is 8pins.  Even if it was the same you still need drivers.  So no go. Had to be specifically designed for mac.

Oh I had just bought a cable that was a Mac serial cable extension and it happened to have 8 pins to use with my PC Engine controller so it could actually reach the couch... Looked at my Mac and sure enough it's 5 pins.... And the the printer port was 9 pin so IDK...

10 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Oh I had just bought a cable that was a Mac serial cable extension and it happened to have 8 pins to use with my PC Engine controller so it could actually reach the couch... Looked at my Mac and sure enough it's 5 pins.... And the the printer port was 9 pin so IDK...

This was also an option back then.  But not as many buttons.  And 99 is too much for just a few games.  But slightly better ergo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184201700602

On 7/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, 0078265317 said:

I am bidding on this right now.  Hope I dont get outbid.  If it does not work for flight sim might still be good for others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264796192049

Well hope that works out.  I use one of these in this rare color to find, even have the screw in stick still for it too.  Whoever won this got a killer deal as the blue one tends to go for a bit more than the normal gray version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravis-GamePad-Pro-Controller-Translucent-Blue-Wired-USB-PC-Computer-Video-Game-/174296714106

17 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well hope that works out.  I use one of these in this rare color to find, even have the screw in stick still for it too.  Whoever won this got a killer deal as the blue one tends to go for a bit more than the normal gray version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravis-GamePad-Pro-Controller-Translucent-Blue-Wired-USB-PC-Computer-Video-Game-/174296714106

I have the grey version of that.  The stick part broke years ago.  But I am looking for old adb versions.  Early macs had no usb.

Just now, 0078265317 said:

I have the grey version of that.  The stick part broke years ago.  But I am looking for old adb versions.  Early macs had no usb.

Yeah I get it, you're either a Mac person or have both and want it on there.  I did look by the way, I used to put hours into MS Flight Sim 5.X either 5 or 5.1 reading the wikipedia notes.  I remember for that time period 25 years ago having a few 3D modeled buildings, textures on stuff, ground detail it was surprising fun especially taking the cessna around the sky scrapers trying to buzz without hitting them.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I get it, you're either a Mac person or have both and want it on there.  I did look by the way, I used to put hours into MS Flight Sim 5.X either 5 or 5.1 reading the wikipedia notes.  I remember for that time period 25 years ago having a few 3D modeled buildings, textures on stuff, ground detail it was surprising fun especially taking the cessna around the sky scrapers trying to buzz without hitting them.

I got this cheap at goodwill speaking of usb controllers.

https://mvvg.blogspot.com/2020/06/ps3-controller.html?m=1

Edited by 0078265317
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

I got this cheap at goodwill speaking of usb controllers.

https://mvvg.blogspot.com/2020/06/ps3-controller.html?m=1

That's solid, that's what I did too with the blue one I showed you, was like $2 maybe $3, had a couple gray ones too but sold them after they sat for at time.  The other one I mentioned yesterday was also no more than $5 a year or two before the gamepad pick ups at a goodwill and it's the Fighterstick USB which seem to fairly still get between $50-70 before shipping which I think would attest to its quality if people care that much still.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/CH-Products-Fighterstick-USB-Lightly-Used/303618154182

On 7/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, 0078265317 said:

Also not a thrift exactly.  But I got a good deal today on ebay.  8 dollars and 89 cents with free shipping.  I used some ebay bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293622243552

These came today but are junk.  Used my top loader.  One mint battery contacts.  One lots of battery acid.  I scratched with a knife but no luck.  Neither works.  I tried all buttons.  I used a game genie.  Even with no batteries and just the receiver plugged in the cursor jumps all over the place.  And auto fire is off.  Power is on.  Once I got it to start and played smb.  But it randomly pauses for no reason.  Does not move or jump freely.  Both receivers same thing.  Not good designed controllers.  I will try my toaster later and see.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

These came today but are junk.  Used my top loader.  One mint battery contacts.  One lots of battery acid.  I scratched with a knife but no luck.  Neither works.  I tried all buttons.  I used a game genie.  Even with no batteries and just the receiver plugged in the cursor jumps all over the place.  And auto fire is off.  Power is on.  Once I got it to start and played smb.  But it randomly pauses for no reason.  Does not move or jump freely.  Both receivers same thing.  Not good designed controllers.  I will try my toaster later and see.

I figured it out.  Not too shabby but not the best.  Line of sight has to be perfect.  If not it looks like its freezing or paused and the unfreezes when the line of sit is restored.  Camerica freedom connect was the same but this is worse.  And as for game genie.  Cursor jumps all over with receiver plugged in only.  It stops when you put batteries in the controller and turn it on and line up the receiver and controller perfectly.  When off or not in sight the cursor jumps.

I probably should do a pic as it's sweet amazing mismark at the half price books justice at its finest.

I had a few moments after grabbing a lighter lunch today so I stopped in, did a double take as I saw KLONOA for the Wii on the shelf.  One for the fact they had it, TWO their printed sticker said $9.99.

You can go check ebay, the game seems happy to sell between $50-70.  The disc is a little scuffed up, nothing deep or serious, overall otherwise what's there is in great shape.  Can't complain for $10 at all, and I owned it back in the day but wrote it off  not wanting to pay that crappy price. :D