IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I've done that before, I bought an old Apple Powerbook 180C, and just fooled around with it, just to see what I could do with it. I ran out of hard drive space (150 megabytes!), so I bought a cable and hooked up my old Zip Drive to it. I hooked up a black-and-white Connectix Quickcam to it that I bought for $2, and I also hooked up an old graphics tablet, so I don't have to use the trackball. I even bought a $5 used color Apple portable printer. And I transfer my Apple Quicktake 100 camera pics to the Powerbook. It's still a fun little machine to fool around with.

I bought a USB Zip Drive so I could hook it up to my modern computer and transfer software over. Do some searches for "Mac abandonware", and you'll find all sorts of games. A machine with a 68030 can still play a few games. So have fun with it!

Do some searches for "Mac abandonware", and you'll find all sorts of games. A machine with a 68030 can still play a few games. So have fun with it!

My buddy Mike has quite a few old Mac games on his site available to download.

http://homepage.mac.com/giantmike/

Click on the old shareware link on the left.

-S

My local Value Village were having a 50% off sale the other day - picked up a bunch of stuff that was otherwise way too expensive -

Coleco Gemini, with one controller and one generic, crappy joystick, minus psu - $7.50

Boxed 2600 games; Warlords, Vanguard & Berzerk - $4.00 each, all with instructions.

Unboxed Intellivision game; Demon Attack - $3

Boxed Intellivision games; Frogger, Q*Bert & Donkey Kong - $4 each, all with instructions.

Opened up the Frogger box and found the instructions and overlays for Demon Attack as well!

I don't post pictures, because the only digital camera I own is an ancient Apple Quicktake 100, and to get pictures on my modern computer, I have to transfer pics from the camera to an old Powerbook, convert the pictures out of their proprietary format into something I can post, and then hook up Zip Drives to both machines and swap files across. It's a huge pain, and lately i've been thinking about getting a camera for myself for my birthday/Christmas. I find some cool stuff in thrifts sometimes, and I'd like to show off a little!

I don't post pictures, because the only digital camera I own is an ancient Apple Quicktake 100, and to get pictures on my modern computer, I have to transfer pics from the camera to an old Powerbook, convert the pictures out of their proprietary format into something I can post, and then hook up Zip Drives to both machines and swap files across. It's a huge pain, and lately i've been thinking about getting a camera for myself for my birthday/Christmas. I find some cool stuff in thrifts sometimes, and I'd like to show off a little!

I found my current digital camera in a thrift store for $10 :-P

It's an older Sony Mavica so it takes 640x480 size photos in jpg format and uses floppies... no hook up to computer... just pull the disk out and put it in my USB floppy drive.

I did have a much nicer camera but it broke a week after it's warranty expired... and due to current circumstances I can't afford to get it repaired right now. :-(

some dc titles,

Marvel vs capcom 2 $10

NFL quaterback $5

And some more commons which where $5 for the lot, ecco, soul calibur, crazy taxi, code veronica

Not a bad haul. I picked up two DC titles over the weekend for $2 each: Frogger 2 and Razor Freestyle Scooter.

Of course, while it wasn't related to video games, I had a much better jackpot last week, where I carted off about 50 CDs from the likes of the Who, the Kinks, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones for $2 each. I can't imagine why someone would have given up that kind of collection without at least trying to sell it, especially since some of the limited-edition Rolling Stones SACDs were in the mix, but I certainly had no complaints about buying it.

I found my current digital camera in a thrift store for $10 :-P

It's an older Sony Mavica so it takes 640x480 size photos in jpg format and uses floppies... no hook up to computer... just pull the disk out and put it in my USB floppy drive.

I did have a much nicer camera but it broke a week after it's warranty expired... and due to current circumstances I can't afford to get it repaired right now. :-(

I've only found one other digital camera in a thrift store. It was another Apple Quicktake 100! If it were the Quicktake 150, I might have bought it. But it was the exact same thing I already had and almost never use.

My local Value Village has, all of a sudden, got a ton of games in (2600, Inty and Genesis mainly). Sadly most of them are commons and way overpriced, so I'll just have to wait until their next 50% off sale.

I did find 3 Zellers 2600 carts a couple of days ago - Dragon Treasure, Laser Volley and Freeway cost me $3.99 each.

NES Vegas Dream and Greg Norman's Golf Power, $3 each CIB.

PS2 analog controller, $3. Something is rattling inside, but it seems to work fine.

Game Boy carrying pouch, $1. No walls inside, so I might even be able to put a GBA1 in it. I like using various forms of Nintendo carrying pouches for random stuff. My CC2 goes into one of my two "Nintendo Sports" cases. (What were these originally for, anyhow? They're about 5x5x1.5" with a zipper around three edges.)

Five U-Matic tapes, $5. These have random stuff on them, but mostly they claim to have half TV episodes. Like the second 30 minutes of a Columbo episode, for instance.

Man, my thrift stores suck ass. I think it may be because I'm in a college town. If anyone's getting rid of old stuff it's probably a college kid in need of beer money, so they just take it to Slackers or EB.

Anyway I did rummage KBToys 75% off bargain bin and got a 5" LCD screen & Multitap for PSOne; NFl 2K1, NHL 2K1, MLB 2K1 for Dreamcast; Skygunner, Stretch Panic, Parappa The Rapper 2, NFL 2k3 Black & Bruised, Ejay Clubworld, Silphead: The Lost Planet, & Primal for PS2; and was suprised to find Mathmagic, Psychic Detectives, Waialae Country Club Golf, World Cup Golf & Zhadnost for 3DO.

All for a little under $80. Noting I was too excited about other than the 3DO games and the cheapass LCD screen, but great cheap additions to my collection for all unopened unused.

Bought a TI994/A with 9 Carts and the Voice Module and all Instructions were included for $5.00 at the local Salvation Army.

I also picked up at one of the second hand stores about 30 minutes away an IBM PcJr still in the box, with monitor and all instructions for $20.

I also picked up some Common 2600 carts I did not have for .50 each

Also I got some old IBM PC Jr software at another Salvation Army shop. I will post pics later

Today, i've found a Magnavox Odyssey 3000 pong unit, $4.99

Lemmings ($3.92) and Mortal Kombat ($4.94) for the Game Gear.

American Vista, Henry and Mudge In The Sparkle Days, Sail With Columbus, December 24th, and SmartKids Challenge One for the Memorex VIS, all $1 each.

Jigsaw for the Philips CD-i, $1.

Cyberia and Shockwave Assault for the Playstation (long boxes), bought at a used movie store, for $8.99 and $5.99, respectively.