IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I ain't anal about those sorts of things, and I know that Sony wasn't big on the LD market. Its just that I am anal about matching electronics, and if it were to go into my viewing room, I would want it to be black, and Sony, so that it matches every other piece of electronic equipment in the cabinet.
Seriously, only Pioneer LD players were any good. And it's hard to find one that isn't black. Some later Pioneer models were available in a metallic color, but these were generally only available in Asia.

Monday I stopped by the nearby Goodwill and snagged a loose copy of "The Goonies II" for the NES for $2.99

Last weekend I snagged a complete Sega Master System model I with everything (base unit, power supply, rather good-working RF switch, two gamepads, and the light phaser) for $40, and a fully-boxed U-Force controller for $10.

The previous weekend, I snagged five Atari 400/800 cartridges (2 Centipede, 1 Defender, Star Raiders, and Galaxian) for a dollar a pop, and a month previously I snagged a loose U-Force with all the accessories to it for $5, a Competition Pro NES pad (which no longer works, sadly, I do like the feel of it and want to someday repair it) for $2, and a loose copy of Tengen's Pac-Mania for the NES for $15.

I'm gonna check more around the Orlando region in terms of the thrift shops to see what else I can find on Friday before I get some algebra tutoring from a friend (damn is college algebra difficult after not doin' it for a year and a half..)

on a side note: Wester, the picture you use in your signature area on the side is very much appropriate for this month (October) :D Also, SuperPsycho, I did find "Rockin' Kats" for the NES to be a fairly amusing (yet somehow difficult at times) game for something that wasn't that violent.

Edited by NightSprinter

wentajunk'n today

unfortunatly.. nothing really big.. personaly.. video game wise.. well.. nothing I felt like picking up.. but Richmond, VA area thrifters should hit Mcadoos in lakeside for some hot A5200 action in the closet .. word.. well.. basicly some common sports tittles.. also two count'm TWO copies of Super mario brothers/duckhunt for the SNES and double dribble.. and some Gennie games.. other than that.. some slim pickins along my route today.

so I'm pulling the everyonce in a while.. cool shit at the junk stores clause on this thread

consignment corner sucked other than finding FOUR Richmond Octoberfest year mugs.. its a wierd collecting urge of mine... I have like 20 of these damn things..

Consignment corner sucked becouse.. well.. everything in there is like overpriced rejects from a yard sale.. I meen really.. its crap.. the owners are over pricing everything.. and mostlikely ripping off the folks consigning stuff.. uhg.. this place made me wanna retch.. except the O=fest mugs.. but they were over priced..

I meen.. the 1999 I picked up was $5 but the '79 was $3??? what? its older so its worth less? fools!

and no console stereos.. my other, other obsesion..

I swear.. I have dreams of bringing these things back as entertainment center hearts.. y'know.. stylish real wood cobinitry with intigrated electronics for home theaters.. stuff like that.. but

I felt it appropriate to grab some pics of stuff.. first up..

a console stereo/BAR!!

consolebar.jpg

oh.. if it only had an 8-track.. we would be rocking!.. she's going to need some refinishing.. regluing some parkay, of course the laminate along the bottom edge.. some light rewiring.. good to go.

got the owner on the phone and talked it down to $45, I assume ownership next week ;) about 4 hours labor, $20 in supplies, reconsigne at Urban artifacts, $300 price tag, sold in a week

up next...cool ass vintage neon sign

supplies.jpg

No I didn't get this one, just thought it was bad ass.. it's an old street sign.. and I'm sure its actually purchasable.. look at about at least $300 for this one.. this picture is now modified, and being used as wall paper on my desktop

thirdbird needs to check this one out..

couch.gif

tacky ass couch!!! nope..didnt get it.. but it can be YOURS for as little as $150

last but not least.. and it just plain pisses me off becouse the owners are going to put it in the window, and not offer it for sale.. bitches..

but.. its the cool ass bike!!!!

coolbike.gif

lookit that bitch! you got a generator under the sprocket running on the rear wheel.. the top lens is a battery operated light, the lower lamp is a general "off the gen lamp". the left grip rotates to switch between low and high beam! the fucker is ALL CHROME! and all the accessories are ORIGINAL!

I don't care if its a ladies model.. that is a cool as bike!

Edited by BeerGnome

Hey BeerGnome,

I too have a great interest in those console stereos. I have one that I am in the process of repairing (no 8-track unfortunately, just radio and phono). I always remember them sounding a little different than the "seperate" hi-fi systems of the day. They tended to sound a little deeper and muddier, which I liked, but most hifi buffs would have scoffed at...

Anyway, I now theorize that what I was hearing was the tonal quality of the larger wooden enclosure.. it wasn't tuned, like a good speaker, but still imparted a tonal quality... like a guitar body would.

Hey BeerGnome,

I too have a great interest in those console stereos.  I have one that I am in the process of repairing (no 8-track unfortunately, just radio and phono).  I always remember them sounding a little different than the "seperate" hi-fi systems of the day.  They tended to sound a little deeper and muddier, which I liked, but most hifi buffs would have scoffed at...

Anyway, I now theorize that what I was hearing was the tonal quality of the larger wooden enclosure.. it wasn't tuned, like a good speaker, but still imparted a tonal quality... like a guitar body would.

942699[/snapback]

I think its more of a problem with the wiring.. it was alwaysdone.. just so.. like.. for example.. the main one I'm using as the heart of my entertaiment center has forward facing speakers... the speakers are GREAT King composite speakers with HUGE magnets and center mounted tweeters.

first thing's first.. rip out all the 18guage speaker wire and give it some power handaling with 14 guage wire, remove the tuning pot on the BACK of the speaker for the tweeter, replace with a simple resister crossover, put some batting in the enterior of the speaker and install a tuned port to fire out the back.. all the electronics were all ready ripped out so I got to replace those with my standard equipment.. including an EQ to further shape the sound.. but really.. just bumping up the speaker wire guage fixxed most of the Muddiness, keepiong it just boomy enough to negate the use of a stand alone sub in a home theater.

I also installed a goodenough computer as a MP3 jukebox in there witha Atiallinwonder to go into the TV asa monitor.. in the picture below you see a cut out in the middle.. where my Directivo and DVD player is, is now the center channel speaker.. rear satilites are behind

all the electronics are now behind the two doors where records used to be stored.

this is a late 60's to mid 70's unit and is solid maple :D

post-1956-1128494219_thumb.jpg

Edited by BeerGnome

on a side note: Wester, the picture you use in your signature area on the side is very much appropriate for this month (October) :D  Also, SuperPsycho, I did find "Rockin' Kats" for the NES to be a fairly amusing (yet somehow difficult at times) game for something that wasn't that violent.

942694[/snapback]

Thanks for noticing, I guess it is. It just happens to be may avatar 24/7/365.

on a side note: Wester, the picture you use in your signature area on the side is very much appropriate for this month (October) :D  Also, SuperPsycho, I did find "Rockin' Kats" for the NES to be a fairly amusing (yet somehow difficult at times) game for something that wasn't that violent.

942694[/snapback]

Rockin' Kats is currently my fav' NES game. I found it at a used game store that had tons of NES games at $5 each... I swear if I had more than $100 at my disposal I would have spent whatever else I had.... I grabbed Rockin' Kats with a bunch of other games... based entierly on whether I had a game or not and whether it was sports, and whether the label looked cool. I like the different weapons in RK. rksmile.gif

Thanks for noticing, I guess it is. It just happens to be may avatar 24/7/365.

942743[/snapback]

Isn't that from some book? I could swear I've seen that image in a book before... like at the beginning of a chapter or something.

I ain't anal about those sorts of things, and I know that Sony wasn't big on the LD market. Its just that I am anal about matching electronics, and if it were to go into my viewing room, I would want it to be black, and Sony, so that it matches every other piece of electronic equipment in the cabinet.
Seriously, only Pioneer LD players were any good. And it's hard to find one that isn't black. Some later Pioneer models were available in a metallic color, but these were generally only available in Asia.

942576[/snapback]

I figured it was the other way around, more silver than black. I have done some research on the product lines and I think I know what I am looking for. I appreciate everyone’s input on the topic.

Thanks

--James

Isn't that from some book?  I could swear I've seen that image in a book before... like at the beginning of a chapter or something.

942753[/snapback]

It was either from The Mammoth Book of Werewolves, or The Ultimate Werewolf. I can't remember which. It also happens to be the only tattoo I ever got.

Today, picked up Tetris 2, Yoshi, MegaMan 2, Clash at Demonhead, IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II, Dragon Warrior II, and Guardian Legend, all for the NES, for around $3 to $4 each. Picked up Twisted Metal for the PS1 for $3, Wing Arms and Thunderstrike 2 for the Sega Saturn, $4 each.

What kind of info are you looking for?  You're talking about the unit that they would demo games on in the store, right?  Sounds like an awesome score.  I have a couple store display things, and hope to collect more once I live someplace other than an apartment.

943106[/snapback]

Yep. It is pretty cool. It is one of those that I guess would sit on a countertop or something. I just wanted to compare it to others and I haven't seen a picture ANYWHERE on the internet.

I am missing the cover that goes over the actual SNES system. Beyond that, it looks to be intact and was a great reason to buy an SNES for the first time. Now I'm trying to figure out which games were good on there, being that I never played one before

Finally, something of note from the local goodwill.

1 heavy sixer console, pretty low serial number, in the 18k range. that was $3.99

1 light sixer, 3 sets of paddles, power supply, 2 switchboxes, all fitting nicely in a game case, for $4.99

I also saw, but didn't get, a Fisher Price game for the NES. I never even knew they made those.

Ok, I don't know what it is but recently I have run into a intellivision

gold mine

here are the 8 games I got for $5

Boxing

Beamrider

Lasvegas Roulette

River Raid

Slam Dunk super pro basketball

Pole position

sub hunt

sharp shot(does not yet work)

Also got an atari 2600 game $2

Chuck norris/Artillery Duel

also got this a

Talking Back 32 in 1 e-132t for a $1

Does anyone have any info on this :ponder:

Edited by homerwannabee

also got this a

944568[/snapback]

What is it exactly? Is it a console, a cartridge, or what?

Went out to the flea market, came away with a full bag.

Atari 7800 console no power supply, but next to it was a power cord with a compatible tip that plugs into the console.

Power Glove for the NES with all the wierd wiring and junk

Atari 800 computer cartridges: Computer Chess, Eastern Front (1941), Missile Command, Frogger, Asteroids, NightStrike (from TG Software), and an Atari cart missing it's label

A huge stack of old late 1980's and early 1990's videogame magazines like GamePro, Game Informer, GameFan, and Game Players

All for the amazing price of $11.

One bad thing about going to the flea market, they were having a barbeque cookoff, but when I got over to where they were holding it, they weren't offering it for sale. They were letting a few judges rate it, but they didn't let us ordinary people buy some. I was all ready for some beef brisket or some ribs, and I got nothing. Then I had to walk around starving, and smell the BBQ goodness in the air. Bummer. :sad:

also got this a

944568[/snapback]

What is it exactly? Is it a console, a cartridge, or what?

Went out to the flea market, came away with a full bag.

Atari 7800 console no power supply, but next to it was a power cord with a compatible tip that plugs into the console.

Power Glove for the NES with all the wierd wiring and junk

Atari 800 computer cartridges: Computer Chess, Eastern Front (1941), Missile Command, Frogger, Asteroids, NightStrike (from TG Software), and an Atari cart missing it's label

A huge stack of old late 1980's and early 1990's videogame magazines like GamePro, Game Informer, GameFan, and Game Players

All for the amazing price of $11.

One bad thing about going to the flea market, they were having a barbeque cookoff, but when I got over to where they were holding it, they weren't offering it for sale. They were letting a few judges rate it, but they didn't let us ordinary people buy some. I was all ready for some beef brisket or some ribs, and I got nothing. Then I had to walk around starving, and smell the BBQ goodness in the air. Bummer. :sad:

944683[/snapback]

Actually it is called Talking Brick Game 132 in 1 it has a red smiley face on it with some kind of japanese writing under the face. It is not a cartridge but sort of like those hand held games for tiger electronics.

Edited by homerwannabee

Oh. It sounds like another Tetris LCD type device, with a bunch of fairly lame little games on it that repeat a thousand times to make it seem like the device has got loads of games instead of seven or eight. I've got three or four of those kinds of things in various makes and models. But here's the big question.... Does yours talk, since it's supposed to be the "Talking Brick Game"?

I've been reading the old game magazines that I bought today. Man, they bring back memories! It's kind of amazing to see all the games and technology that got announced but never released. Color Dreams were supposed to put out NES cartridges that had a Z80 co-processor in them. :-o I read in two different magazines about the hot new upcoming arcade games, G.I. Joe and Guardians of the 'Hood, and it looks like neither one made it to mass production. And I like reading the reviews of Atari 7800, Lynx, and TurboGraphx-16 games. Not a lot of magazines bothered with Atari reviews back then. And reading all the magazines gushing over the new Sega CD Multimedia Game System (what they called it) really made me laugh. So much promise, so little delivered.

Well,Ebay's been good to me lately,got my Heavy Sixer,Atari Track Ball,Keyboard controllers,Indy controller and 25 games with a Atari case for about $60.00 all together.

My best find was for my Intelevision,I got 33 games,no boxes or inserts but all in great shape for .75 each at a flea market!!!!

I hav'nt looked to see if any are really rare ect.. but if the Atari list is anything like the Intelevision list I did good???

Finally, something of note from the local goodwill. 

1 heavy sixer console, pretty low serial number, in the 18k range.  that was $3.99

1 light sixer, 3 sets of paddles, power supply, 2 switchboxes, all fitting nicely in a game case, for $4.99

I also saw, but didn't get, a Fisher Price game for the NES.  I never even knew they made those.

943983[/snapback]

Man, you have the best luck. The thifts up here in L/A are completely dead. I saw a copy of RBI Baseball for the NES and it was the first thing game-related I've seen in at least a month! Not a bad thing, since I'm broke at the moment, but I still go out of course!