IGNORED

Possible APF MP1000 Prototypes?

PsychedelicShaman

I've attached an image with the apf boards I have, won these in a lot a few years ago with a system and a few cartridges. A few of the pcbs had a matching cartridge to go with it, like catena on cartridge and pcb, seemed a little strange to me.

The ufo board loaded up, seemed like the full game. They look to be official apf boards. Is anyone familiar enough with the system that they would know if these are protos or not? There's got to be an APF guru out there, anyone know he/she?

Thanks!

post-11047-0-00277400-1305356756_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

Hard to say for sure. I've never actually opened up an APF cartridge so I'm not sure what the production boards look like. But given that they are masked roms and not eproms, I would suspect they are not prototypes. Perhaps production samples or even games removed from their carts.

I'm far from an expert on the system though, so please don't take my word as gospel.?

I've found a bare APF board before, and that's what a factory board looks like, curvy traces and all.

The chips look like production mask ROMs, though. No indication of proto-ness. The picture is too fuzzy to read the chip part numbers to be sure, but I don't think GI made too many user-programmable parts.

The numbers on the handwritten labels correspond to the catalog number of the games, and I can't see any reason why someone would do that unless they were somehow connected with APF. Maybe early production run samples?

• 5 months later...