IGNORED

Quick question on a couple of Sears games

2600Lives

So, going through my collection, I see I have a couple of games that are the same thing. Now, I do NOT collect label variations, and I'll always opt for the Atari version of any given game, due to the kick-ass art they always have, compared to the ultra bland text labels for the Sears games.

So, the question is this. I have both Air-Sea Battle, and Target Fun, as well as Street Racer and Speedway II. From what I can tell, the games are identical, but are they? I don't care about things like title screen variations, I just would like to know if the actual games are identical. I also have the Race cart, but don't own the Indy 500 cart, but I will get it if it's also the exact same thing.

Thanks in advance. This actually sucks, as I thought I had 182 unique games, but this bumps it down to 180.

Sweet. I know that there are, like, 3 unique Sears games, and I happen to have Steeplechase, which I believe was one of those. Guess I'll donate the dupes to my local game show next month so he can use them for part of his door prizes. Wish Sears hadn't re-named the damn things. Makes collecting incredibly difficult at times, but collecting the 2600 is unbelievably convoluted anyway.

Was it originally Pele's Soccer, and renamed when the rights to Pele (whoever that was) was lost -- or do I have it backward?

I also believe that Rubik's Cube was changed to Atari Video Cube at some point during its release history (as opposed to the former never having been officially available at all), as with Stargate/Defender II -- possibly due to similar licensing problems/losses. But I'm not entirely sure; online information conflicts.

It did. The "Defender II" name was a strategy by Williams to try to lock down the name as a trademark.

"Atari Video Cube" was that game's original name, however. The re-release was altered to be "Rubic's Cube" when the decision to scrap the 3D version of Rubic's was made (probably because the fad was already dead and the puzzle wasn't much fun).

I only collect unique games. I collect for ALL systems, and my entire collection is running almost 1500 games at present (not including stuff on floppy disk, either), so instead of spending money on something I already have, I'd rather get something I don't. Now, I will collect the same game for different systems, but most of the time, they're different enough to warrant it (for example, Pac-Man on the 2600 and 5200, two entirely different beasts). I just like the picture labels, there was so much more effort put into producing them, and that kick ass 70's art is so awesome! The text ones are just so generic looking. I'd rather pull out a copy of Surround, which is the simplest game imaginable, with the label that has two guys sitting at futuristic looking battle consoles than just a game that says "Surround" in plain text, ya know?

I'm also big on compilations, just for the sake of convenience. For instance, I own all 4 original Phantasy Star games in their original cart formats, but also have the Sonic's Genesis Collection, which has all 4 on a single disc, which is very convienent for me (and I also don't have to pull out the carts if I get an itch to play one, just pop it in my 360, and I can play while talking with a couple of buddies).

I only collect unique games. I collect for ALL systems, and my entire collection is running almost 1500 games at present (not including stuff on floppy disk, either), so instead of spending money on something I already have, I'd rather get something I don't. Now, I will collect the same game for different systems, but most of the time, they're different enough to warrant it (for example, Pac-Man on the 2600 and 5200, two entirely different beasts). I just like the picture labels, there was so much more effort put into producing them, and that kick ass 70's art is so awesome! The text ones are just so generic looking. I'd rather pull out a copy of Surround, which is the simplest game imaginable, with the label that has two guys sitting at futuristic looking battle consoles than just a game that says "Surround" in plain text, ya know?

I'm also big on compilations, just for the sake of convenience. For instance, I own all 4 original Phantasy Star games in their original cart formats, but also have the Sonic's Genesis Collection, which has all 4 on a single disc, which is very convienent for me (and I also don't have to pull out the carts if I get an itch to play one, just pop it in my 360, and I can play while talking with a couple of buddies).

I get you. Since you collect many systems you just buy what is absolutely necessary but if you were Bill Gates you would collect it all.