IGNORED

Corvus Interface & ADS Integrater

fibrewire

Both drives will work with the atari interface.

There are a couple of utility disks that have basic programs on them. When the format switch is flipped on, the basic program can format the drive. After a format, one can check the drive for errors using a CRC program, check the version of firmware on the drive, upgrade the drive firmware, or install an OS on the drive. All the basic programs require the Atari basic cartridge and the utility or sysgen disk in drive 1. From basic a command like RUN"D:DIAG" or RUN"D:SYSGEN" or RUN"D:MIRROR". After a format, all utilities can be installed to virtual drive D1.

I have more time with my fantastic new job, so I'll see if I can post a video how-to

Edited by fibrewire

Will the software, and schematics, just everything to build yourself a corvus be released aswell to the public ?

Of course it will. Included in this post are:

* multiple versions of Corvus software for the Atari 800

* Pre-made boot-disk

* Some old XFormer disk images of the software

* Article 41 from Frank Seipel about the Corvus interface

* The long-lost Corvus manual for "Disk System Installation Guide" and the "System Manager's Guide" for the Atari 800

Atari-Corvus.zip

• Like 1

The only I have Corvus external HDD and smaller one and NO interface card. On eBay is NOT likely to find that particularly specific card that you show the image above.

Oh, well.

It said in post #21 that they hope to eventually have some reproductions of the interface card made. The reverse engineering is the reason for the bare card shown in post #23, the components were removed to get good pictures of the traces and create a schematic.

• Like 1

I assume that you don't have any Corvus Card for Atari 8 bits ?

Correct. Like 95% of the Corvus owners :(

No, I don't know any different. I will check mine Corvus Drives and see what revision that I has.

I have found some manuals and technical information about the drives here:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/corvus/

and some (non Atari) software here:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/bits/Corvus/

Daisy chaining drives works successfully with the Atari 800.

Requires firmware version 18.3 on both Corvus drives, up to 4 drives for 80MB of storage!

Took an older 34 conductor floppy ribbon cable with no keyed pins, cut the twisted part of the cable off next to the center connector.

I then connected one end to the drive connector of the first drive, connected the other end to the processor connector of the second drive.

All drives ship configured as drive one, so I followed the instructions pertaining to daisy chaining drives and reconfigured the second drive to 'drive 2'

Link to full Corvus H-Series Service Manual here

post-27823-0-26782900-1381303956_thumb.jpg

Corvus Daisy Chain.pdf

With a Corvus Multiplexer, use up to 8 Atari 800 computers with 1 to 4 daisy chained Corvus drives!

I'm gonna take a crack at building one of these boards and fitting it into a Corvus Utility Server chassis.

Link to full Corvus Network Service Manual here

Multiplexer Installation & Troubleshooting.pdf

Corvus Multiplexer Schematic.pdf

Is possible for you to make 1 Atari Corvus Interface Card for me ?

Working on a schematic in spare time. As soon as its finished I'll throw a few packages together for interested members. Then the gerber files and bill of materials will be posted in this thread and a few other places, and that should be it! If I can just get a ROM dump of the ADS Integrator board, David Small can show me how he modified the SIO vector directly in the Atari ROMs (no address-decoder/force new address in stuff) and how to patch the Newell RAMROD to operate with integrator functionality.

It sure will be amazing to see the Atari boot directly from the Corvus Disk system, and even more amazing to see 8 Atari 800s booting into a giant BBS system :)

http://analog.klanky.com/funstuff.htm#TCS

Edited by fibrewire

Really coolsome. As for start, I try out 1 Atari 800 for now and see if it is really works. If it is really works , then I will hooks up 2 Atari 800 as communication each other ?

One Atari interface is required to talk to a Corvus drive (or multiple daisy chained drives). For multiple Atari 800 computers to talk to a single Corvus disk drive, a Corvus Multiplexer is required. Also an Atari-Corvus interface for each Atari computer to attach to the multiplexer is required. It can get a little messy...

post-27823-0-30274900-1381307864_thumb.jpg

Well, I'll make them the best I can for as little as possible. This is all based on free time, so I won't announce anything until I've got a schematic that is verified working, and a couple of boards under my belt. I'll keep posting as new information is available.

Daisy chaining drives works successfully with the Atari 800.

Great!

Requires firmware version 18.3 on both Corvus drives, up to 4 drives for 80MB of storage!

Do you know where the firmware is stored ?

On an eprom or on the hard disk ?

Is this updatable without an eprom burner ?

As soon as its finished I'll throw a few packages together for interested members.

I'm very interested :)

Frank

Do you know where the firmware is stored ?

On an eprom or on the hard disk ?

Is this updatable without an eprom burner ?

Frank

Firmware is on the Utilitles disk, the more recent disk set from Jan '83 has the 18.3 firmware. The file is called "CF183.DAT"

Firmware is written to the drive using the Corvus Utilities program. First, boot the computer win the Atari BASIC cart in the Atari 800. At the ready prompt type RUN"D:DIAG and then select U for update firmware. I'll have a new Corvus video up shortly.

Edited by fibrewire

• 2 weeks later...