IGNORED

High Score Club 9.11 - Fathom

Ze_ro

post-29468-0-21118100-1305860630_thumb.png

Though this looked useful...

Nice map, but I have mixed feelings on this being posted.

On plus side, it should make for better competition,

but negative is that people now will easily get the bonus just from looking at this.

I am glad I did it on my own.

Nice sense of discovery that way.

I've been giving a lot of thought to this question about using available maps for playing the HSC game of the week. I understand the 'sense of discovery'. I mapped out Private Eye myself, when we played it earlier in the HSC. I've used the premade maps, also, though (Solaris comes to mind.)

I think the time factor is a consideration with only a week on each game (usually). If I have to get good enough to play the game and map it, I think, a lot of times, I'll give up on the game more quickly.

I don't know if there was ever a rule put forward about this. There does seem to be virtue in doing it all, including the mapping.

I'm interested in how others feel about this.

(Maybe I should stop thinking and actually post a score for this week. :) )

Edited by Scrabbler15

Beat Fathom for the first time: 12,336 - post-29468-0-41248300-1305955024_thumb.jpg

(I took the picture with my phone from my netbook screen, but Windows won't import from my phone any more, so I then had to take a picture of my phone with my camera, which is why this looks like shite.)

As for the map posting so soon, here's my reasoning, for what it's worth:

After seeing the suggestion to map in another post, and realizing that the trident pieces occur in set locations, I went ahead and mapped about half the game. Then I thought, surely someone has already done this, and sure enough, they had. I've noticed that people tend to hold off on their hints until the weekend (at least), but I figured that anyone who needs the help probably needs it before the final couple of days, while those who don't need the help anyways won't use it. If people prefer a little more mystery, though, then I'll wait to post things like this until further into the week (I don't want to ruffle any feathers or fins)!

As for strategy:

1. remember that pulling down as a seagull makes you drop faster.

2. it's vital to memorize the starting cloud positions for each screen, so that you enter a new sky screen hitting those low flying clouds rather than low flying birds (or avoiding them as your fall through grey-cloud skies, if you've taken too long).

Well, hell! After over 25 years I finally beat this game! Mapping the last several pieces was a bee-otch. I was lucky if I mapped one new piece per game. Problem is, my completed game was played like crap, so my score is lower than it should be - 8,588. I will try again tomorrow.

post-26465-0-84481700-1305965898_thumb.jpg

Beat it!

post-10944-0-92472700-1305997917_thumb.jpg

After beating it now, I don't think the current record of over 1,000,000 is possible. The game ends and it doesn't continue. I think if a player zipped through each level and avoided all point stealing obsticles then maybe 30k is tops. 1M seems in the "I don't believe it" realm. :ponder:

Frostbite76 may have a feeling of what the max score is as he is over 21k now (but nowhere near 1,000,000).

I have some great tips.

1. Collect the pink clouds from the rooms that have the most of them it. If you're in level 6 for example, collect the pink clouds in the sky with six clouds. After you get all six clouds, go down to the sky with 5 but don't get any. Then go back and get the 6 clouds. Keep doing this until the clouds are grey.

2. The water levels: go all the way to the right and go down to avoid most of the enemies if not all. Same thing to go back up

3. Level 5-7. In the Water go to the 5th screen and collect all but one of the pink things. After you do this go back up one screen then go back down and collect all but one again. Keep doing this until you can't collect anymore. This is the fastest and safest way to collect.

4. Study the map after you switch. I can stay there for as long as you want. You can even leave and go back there to freeze time.

5. Level 5-7 are the most important levels by far, so be very careful. These are the levels you can really rack up the most points. Level 7 alone can get about 8,000 points. 1100x7. So do not hit the valcano on these levels. It could cost you about 1,000. every time you get hit.

6. Fall down from the left side of the screen to avoid grey clouds. But don't go down too fast.

Edited by Frostbite76
  • Like 1

Beat it!

post-10944-0-92472700-1305997917_thumb.jpg

After beating it now, I don't think the current record of over 1,000,000 is possible. The game ends and it doesn't continue. I think if a player zipped through each level and avoided all point stealing obsticles then maybe 30k is tops. 1M seems in the "I don't believe it" realm. :ponder:

Frostbite76 may have a feeling of what the max score is as he is over 21k now (but nowhere near 1,000,000).

I think the max score is around 25,000- 27,000. I don't get hit that much anymore and move around very fast. Unless you get some crazy bonus for not hitting anything, I don't see how more than 27,000 is possible.

Edited by Frostbite76

It's a masterpiece of programming with top-notch artwork, but it wasn't my cup of tea. At least I gave it a try. :)

I agree that technically and artistically this game is astounding. The control scheme is just so poorly designed! Push the button and use the joystick to swim... how much more convoluted could this be? And why do I feel the need to complain that flying feels too floaty? Still, glad to have an excuse to really get into this one, otherwise I doubt I could have gotten over the learning curve to really appreciate it.

6. Fall down from the left side of the screen to avoid grey clouds. But don't go down too fast.

I find a free fall along the right side of the sky screens avoids both clouds and birds, allowing you to descend as quickly as the programming allows. Following down the left side will hit birds on the lower two screens if you're in free fall.

Participation point: 56

I'm on vacation but brought my Stella disc. Fortunately I don't have this game anyway so I'd be playing it on the disc regardless. I have little to no control using the keyboard. I can't wrap my brain around that map.

post-2105-0-68031600-1306167518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miss 2600