IGNORED

5200 or Colecovision

tz101

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which had the better game library?

• Colecovision
    • Atari 5200

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Not the usual "Which system is better" thread. I just want reasons why you think either system had the better overall game library, not diatribes about which one had bad controllers or such.

Homebrews and Protos don't count for this poll either.

In my opinion, the Colecovision by far. Sure, they may have been remakes of other games, or copying off the ideas of others, but most of them were smooth playing, colorful, and overall entertaining to play.

It might also be noted that many 5200 games are either arcade ports or 2600 games, with the Colecovision having both.

I'm not exactly sure which one was larger, but from my standpoint, I have to say the Colecovision's was more entertaining and enjoyable.

5200 had 6 games from original library that I'd never sell: Kaboom!, Galaxian, Missile Command, Pole Position, Qix, Joust.

Colecovision had one I loved: Cosmic Avenger

You can figure out which system I dumped. :P

5200 for me, both then and now. I was a huge Atari fan though - I loved the games on their 2600 and 5200 systems, like Pac-Man, Joust, Defender, Dig Dug, Berzerk which weren't available anywhere else (until later w/Atarisoft, but by then who cared? not me). I can't count the number of hours I've played trying to see the next stage or get a higher score on 5200 games.

Opinion: CV has a huge diverse library, more so than 5200. I like the visual look of many of its games, too. But when it comes down to actually playing the games, few CV titles have the fun, smooth, playable quality that my favorite 5200 games have. The biggest draw for me back in the day was Donkey Kong. Until I played if for a few hours at J.C. Penney's & realized that I was tiring of it quickly.

The Colecovision plays a nice second fiddle to the 5200. Its game library is a bit larger and has a lot of nice gems that would have been neat if they made it to the 5200. Some personal arcade favorites that Coleco did well include:

Burgertime

Ladybug

Mr. Do!

Mr. Do!'s Castle-- better playing than A52

Tutankham-- best version ever(5200 rumor mill)

Venture-- best version (until 8-bit homebrew is finished!)

Other great titles:

Anarctic Adventure-- has penguins!

Fathom-- best version (5200 rumor mill)

Q*bert's Qubes-- excellent version

Space Panic-- very obsure, but fun

Wing War--fairly original, with slight learning curve (5200 rumor mill!)

I think they both complement each other very well, and are evenly matched in my opinion (specifically in terms of good games, library, etc.)! Whereas the 5200 offers a large variety of arcade greats and has a wide selection of titles that are always fun to play, the ColecoVision really took advantage of those quirky off-the-wall games perfectly to add a unique flavor. I love Venture, Antarctic Adventure, Burgertime, Ladybug, Looping, Cosmic Avenger! Whereas the 5200 has Berzerk, a great Pac-Man, Joust, Defender, and Kaboom!, as others have stated....

I think they're both great and can't really be "compared" in that light. Just....different! Both equally good, just different flavors of the same great brand: Video Games!

So....my response is....

Why not love both? :) They're both cool little machines and both have great games. Just imagine if you could somehow merge them both into a single supersystem with both libraries available! :lust:

• Like 3

It's a tie for me, but both systems compliment each other, like a happily married couple! :roll:

Considering I went overboard in the late '90's and early 2000's buying up several ColecoVision and Adam Game systems and new in box expansion modules along with many new in box games, i've really come to appreciate the Atari 5200 in recent years.

In fact, that's what i've been mostly playing for the last few months, especially my favorite games: Space Dungeon, Star Raiders, Robotron, Berzerk, Vanguard, and Rescue on Fractalus. Space Dungeon and Star Raiders have me hooked like no other game for either system, even though there's a big bunch of great games for both systems.

The 5200 console is infinitely more reliable than the ColecoVision, but with Best Electronics 5200 Gold contact controllers it's a pleasure to play most 5200 games.

If you can get both systems you'll rarely complain about having enough fun with 8-bit classic games.

Edited by chuckwalla

I agree strongly on the "have both systems" argument. I own both with extensive libraries for each, and like has been said, they complement each other quite well. However, I do feel that the 5200 has more games that I like to play on a consistent basis. With my recent addition of Donkey Kong for 5200, I may not play CV for awhile. ;)

Having said all that, GET BOTH SYSTEMS AND YOU WILL BE IN ARCADE GAMING BLISS!

5200 without a doubt. Certain ColecoVision games may look better, but as a whole, I personally think there are far more good games in the 5200 library.(especially when you factor in the homebrew titles.)

Fixed that for you

*sigh*

Dude really? Please don't start with the "personal subjective opinion" lecture crap. We know you like to "correct" people when they forget to add "in my opinion".

We get it.

Really.

We get it.

Edited by jetset
  • Like 4

5200 without a doubt. Certain ColecoVision games may look better, but as a whole, I personally think there are far more good games in the 5200 library.(especially when you factor in the homebrew titles.)

Fixed that for you

*sigh*

Dude really? Please don't start with the "personal subjective opinion" lecture crap. We know you like to "correct" people when they forget to add "in my opinion".

We get it.

Really.

We get it.

Ha. Thats funny. Anyway the 1st comment was right.... "there are far more good games in the 5200 library".....

:P

• Like 1

*sigh*

We get it.

Really.

We get it.

If I knew it was going to provoke you that much, I would have done it sooner! This thread is full of good material! :P Maybe I'll just put it in my signature so you can see it all the time. :D

Edited by DracIsBack

I agree strongly on the "have both systems" argument. I own both with extensive libraries for each, and like has been said, they complement each other quite well. However, I do feel that the 5200 has more games that I like to play on a consistent basis. With my recent addition of Donkey Kong for 5200, I may not play CV for awhile. ;)

Having said all that, GET BOTH SYSTEMS AND YOU WILL BE IN ARCADE GAMING BLISS!

I don't know that Donkey Kong came out on the 5200, wow! I always thought that was CV's killer app. I'll have to check that out.

Such drama...

Poll topics imply that we are giving our opinions. Splitting hairs over the subject is hardly appropriate. Let's all move on.

Getting back on topic...

In my opinion the 5200 homebrew scene and all the recent conversions really give the system the edge over the ColecoVision. With that said, I still love my Coleco, with some of my favorite games being Cosmic Avenger, Smurf, Looping and Jungle Hunt (one game I prefer on the ColecoVision.)

I just feel the 5200 library is more appealing to me.