IGNORED

MicroDrive vs CF

fibrewire

This is in reference to the MyIDE project for Atari 8-bit computers.

MicroDrives have exponentially more write cycles - but realistically speaking how much experience do you have about 'killing' solid state media? Also, how many times are you really going to make changes to what is stored on solid state medium?

Microdrives are much better for anything that logs data, as I personally have killed stacks of flash media. (network engineer)

What are your experiences?

MicroHDD.jpg

I have been using CF cards on a 1200XL for about as long as the IDE adapters have been available. (10 years?) No problems - boots/runs/RWTEST. All good.

Bob

MicroDrives have exponentially more write cycles - but realistically speaking how much experience do you have about 'killing' solid state media? Also, how many times are you really going to make changes to what is stored on solid state medium?

Microdrives are much better for anything that logs data, as I personally have killed stacks of flash media. (network engineer)

Long time ago I got an IBM Microdrive -- 340 MB. It was much slower than a conventional 3600 rpm 2-1/2" notebook drive when used with a MyIDE. In comparison, a regular Sandisk CF card was just slightly faster than the notebook drive. Microdrive went on to "recycle heaven." I've killed one Transcend module, but had nothing to do with write cycles or use.

Here was the post from 2006:

> I ran a benchmarks on a few devices that I have, and looks like the speed of a CF card does make much difference in this app. However, the CF cards are quite a bit faster than my 340 MB microdrive.

The following are the times required to read 1000 and write 1000 sectors from D1: to D3: on the card/drive.

340 MB Microdrive: 68 seconds

32 MB Sandisk "Shoot&Store": 48 seconds

256 MB Simpletech Flash Module: 47 seconds

512 MB Sandisk Ultra II: 46 seconds <

-Larry