IGNORED

Question regarding ClearPic2002 on a 1200XL

ACML

I'm about to install Bob's ClearPic2002 modification on my 1200XL. Bob saved my 1200XL with a working keyboard (Thanks Bob1200XL!!). The question I had concerns the last step in the instructions I found on the Retrobits website. The final wire that connects the Chroma back to pin 2 on the monitor jack, is that supposed to be a shielded wire? What gauge? If it's shielded, what do I ground it to?

When adding the chroma to my 800XL I just used a normal insulated wire, about the same type as used for power leads inside a PC.

That's overkill, you'd probably do just as well using a much finer wire. I doubt using shielded wire would make much difference although the 1200XL does have the internal power conversion circuitry that might be a potential source of interference.

I'm about to install Bob's ClearPic2002 modification on my 1200XL. Bob saved my 1200XL with a working keyboard (Thanks Bob1200XL!!). The question I had concerns the last step in the instructions I found on the Retrobits website. The final wire that connects the Chroma back to pin 2 on the monitor jack, is that supposed to be a shielded wire? What gauge? If it's shielded, what do I ground it to?

Shouldn't that be pin 5, but any mid size sheilded wire will do? And any larger ground like the RF shield.

I just use wire-wrap wire, 34 ga. solid. (I think) For short runs on a two-sided board, it is pretty much the same as a trace on the PCB. I don't remember any significant noise on the CHROMA line and if there is, it is from poor ground/power traces, not shielding. Even if the CHROMA line does have noise on it, it is a phase-modulated signal. Any noise is not a factor in the decoder.

Bob