IGNORED

Atari ST teletext adapter to give to a good home

teletextadapterforST.jpg

A teletext adapter to give to someone in the UK, just P&P, otherwise it's going bin-heaven.

needs an Ac adapter 12vDC 500mA

Generous of you.

I will take it if nobody else wants it, I can then review if for my website and then everyone can see/read about it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did not know one was ever made for the ST....I still remember the monster one that the BBC computer had

For those not in the know 'teletext' is/was a news and information service (mainly popular in europe/UK) that compliments most terrestrial television channels (like bbc/itv/channel4/5 etc) you simply press the teletext button of the remote control and the tv picture is replaced with a screenful of text information (you can still hear the audio of the channel you were watching and also on some tellies you can superimpose/sync the teletext service with the tv channel picture)

Think of it like 70's/80's internet but for the telly (but instead of having internet addresses you had page numbers, usually a three digit number)

I think in the US/canada you had a service once called KEYFAX (basically teletext under another name (just like in europe which has numerous names like tv text, videotext (original name for teletext) and others)

Edited by carmel_andrews
  • Like 4

Did not know one was ever made for the ST....I still remember the monster one that the BBC computer had

For those not in the know 'teletext' is/was a news and information service (mainly popular in europe/UK) that compliments most terrestrial television channels (like bbc/itv/channel4/5 etc) you simply press the teletext button of the remote control and the tv picture is replaced with a screenful of text information (you can still hear the audio of the channel you were watching and also on some tellies you can superimpose/sync the teletext service with the tv channel picture)

Think of it like 70's/80's internet but for the telly (but instead of having internet addresses you had page numbers, usually a three digit number)

I think in the US/canada you had a service once called KEYFAX (basically teletext under another name (just like in europe which has numerous names like tv text, videotext (original name for teletext) and others)

We've had our differences in the past, but +1 this post Carmel :) good detail

• 2 years later...

It would be good to see pic. of adapter ( why is removed ? ).

I made teletext adapter for Atari ST some 25 years ago, based on schematic in some German ST magazine. It was quite simple - using special teletext chip + RAM + few components. SW was mostly in GFA Basic + little ASM. Of course needed to give video signal to it - we used VCR for that. It worked with PC too.

Now teletext is built in most of TVs. And it can not be really compared with Internet, because was one way - user could not send anything to service. User just could select which page to show. Whole thing is based in using short time of vertical blank in video signal to transfer digital data, mostly text. It was buffered in RAM of adapter. Slow transfer resulted with need to wait some time for loading/buffering all pages.