IGNORED

Go Atari Trying to Liquidate

bojay1997

An update that I just noticed today!

"COMMENT: I find it interesting that while reading the forums that most commentators assume that I am wanting

the listed retail value. Yes I would not mind selling at those prices, however I am open to all offers and expect

to settle for a much lower price. I am doing other things and I am in no hurry to sell, but on the other hand

I would like to move the inventory out of storage. Also with the Atari Brand being re-offered I would think

that the "goatari.com" URL would be of some value.

To answer another question most of the Inventory was purchased directly from Atari when they closed their doors."

While it is great to know that he is apparently willing to deal, I have not heard back from my inquiry regarding whether he will work with a shipping agent or for a ballpark of value so I can know whether it is worth pursuing meetings with banks so on. I in absolutely no way am going to write a letter to find out this information.

I just don't think he understands how many bridges he has burned. Keep in mind that I placed an order with him six months ago, never got it and he never replied to multiple e-mails. Finally I had to do a Paypal chargeback to get a refund. Apparently, he thinks this is no big deal as he felt no concern about sending me an e-mail directing me to his website to make an offer on everything. Many people had horrible experiences with him when he was selling on Ebay and getting insulted when people were offering the current value of the items.

I don't think he understands the reality of both the Lynx and Jaguar market currently. The vast majority of the Lynx library can be purchased for $5 a game sealed mint from various vendors. Similarly, most Jaguar games can be purchased for $20 or less sealed/mint/shipped. Yes, there are some more valuable games, but he only has a few copies of each of them. He would literally have to drop most of his prices 70%-80% just to get down to current retail and that doesn't include the fact that the new purchaser will want a good wholesale price so they can make a solid margin given the shipping and storage costs for a lot of junk that will sit for years.

He doesn't have to have bridges with too many people -- He's looking to sell it all in one huge lump. How many people have the:

1) Want for that much merchandise

2) Ability to fund buying that much merchandise

3) Storage space available for that much merchandise

4) Ability to move that much merchandise for a dead system

There really aren't that many vendors out there who would have any interest in doing it. I've found in the past that it seems that a lot of vendors incorrectly value their merchandise. I knew another vendor who I really liked who was shutting down, and I was talking with him about wholesaling a bunch of stuff from him, but he wanted in "clearance" prices more than what we were selling the games for on our site.

I'm not saying that is what Go Atari is doing, since I don't know. What I do know is that if he's not willing to work with someone to make the sale, there is no way that anyone is going to be hopping on the sale of that sort of stuff. You're right on with your 70-80% off quote, and then you need to add to that that a high percentage of that stuff (95% of the Game.Com stuff, anything that there is more than 100 copies of) you're going to sit on for practically forever before selling...

My idea is he needs to find the time to sell again on ebay. For ex. if tomorrow he will put Lynx units in 10 auctions at the starting price of 29,00 USD, I'm sure he will sell them all (at an higher price). Months ago sellers like Classicgamesource and konsolen kost, sold on ebay many many games putting them at the starting price of 0,01. And the final prices were not 0,01.

My idea is he needs to find the time to sell again on ebay. For ex. if tomorrow he will put Lynx units in 10 auctions at the starting price of 29,00 USD, I'm sure he will sell them all (at an higher price). Months ago sellers like Classicgamesource and konsolen kost, sold on ebay many many games putting them at the starting price of 0,01. And the final prices were not 0,01.

What's your time worth to you?

This is just an example, but I think it pertains pretty closely:

If you spend let's say 10 minutes per game listing it, and 10 minutes per game packing it, and you were selling them at let's say $4 / game, after eBay fees and whatnot you'd be making like $9 / hour.

For that much merchandise, let's just pretend it took 1000 hours to sell it all, for $9000. That's half a year where your full time job is selling on eBay and you're not exactly making a ton of money.

If instead, you could pass it off for $5000 to a buyer, but the transaction took 20 hours total, that might be a lot more interesting to you.

If you spent $3000 on the merchandise, the option is to make a difference of $4000 by spending 980 more hours trying to sell it. Based on that, you're paying yourself $4.08 an hour to sell the games at the higher price.

When it comes to dealing with that much merchandise, it definitely makes sense to sell it bulk and not try to sell it individually. If he could actually get something close to his retail prices for the games, it would be different -- if you could spend 1000 hours and make $75,000 with $72,000 of that as profit, that would be amazing -- but there aren't enough Jaguar / Lynx / Game.Com fans out there to make that happen.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

In memory of GoAtari:

http://www.goatari.com/at-lyn-d.htm

But i prefer to remember goatari's ebay auctions.

Hope B&C will set better prices on that stock.

Sadly, B&C has become really bad about pricing lately despite getting this stock. They are selling new Jaguar controllers for $30 a pop and certain games like Double Dragon V they have listed on Ebay for $100. They are also charging a 33% premium above their website pricing for Ebay sales with $40 games selling for $60. I get that Ebay charges fees, but Paypal and Ebay combined are 13%, not 33% or anything close to that. I guess our hopes that this stock would hit the market for more reasonable prices were in vain.

Their website is not responding to potential orders - I can tell you that much! I emailed asking about Lynx 2 flex circuits 4 or 5 days ago and got no response. I guess they've stopped taking indivual orders and just want to dump their stock now. I personally hope that Best Electronics in CA can buy some of the stock for next to nothing. Who else is going to buy so much retro stuff.

EDIT: Ignore part of what i've said, ive only just realised that the thread was dated Oct last year, and B&C seem to have taken that URL and stock now. My point still stands about lack of reply. I emailed 5 days ago and still havent had a response. If you are looking for games and spares use Best Electronics as they do actually respond in a timely fashion.

Edited by GadgetUK

GoAtari is closed. All his stock is avaiable at B&C now. I have never had problems with B&C. Sometimes they don't answer in "real time" to our emails but It's because they are busy to answer to previous lots of e-mails... or too busy in their warehouse and ranch. But I always get my answers to all my questions. I like B&C, Bruce is a reputable seller.

About price... I'm courious to see the price of the about 140 new Atari Lynx II units bought from goatari. Now B&C sells the ATARI Lynx first version in white box at 99 USD... The second version is less valuable than the first. Infact Goatari listed them at 79,00 USD but he did not sell many of them at that price. Most of them was sold on ebay auctions. I saw units sold at max. price of 60-65 dollars.. sometimes at 45 USD!!!.

I think the correct price is 70-75 USD.

Edited by Battlezone