IGNORED

How to get the Atari 800 running 64k games ...

Dizzy

Hello,

I searched everywhere on the web a solution to expand the memory of the Atari 800 to at least 64k, and I found multiple solutions (256k or 512k expansions), but I do not know if these expansions would be compatible with the 64k games because of potential memory addresses problem.

For exemple, I own a 32k memory board. If I put it in my Atari 800 along with a 16k memory expansion, then Atari works fine (with BASIC programming for exemple) but many games will not work due to memory addresses changes I guess. I'm obliged to replace the 32k card by two 16k cards to be able to play all the 48k games.

So I'm afraid that using a 256k or more expansion would be the same problem.

Does anyone know if a memory upgrade for the Atari 800 would allow it to play 64k 800XL games ?

Thanks

Edited by Dizzy

changing your 32k for two 16k cards wont change anything software wise... although it says '48k' and '64k' there are alot of differences underneath that dont actually relate to the actual RAM differences...

your easiest path is to just get a XL (600XL or 800XL), or even an XE (65XE or 130XE), and use them...

not so easy path, is to wait for warerat to release his board that makes a 800 XL/XE compatible...

sloopy.

changing your 32k for two 16k cards wont change anything software wise... although it says '48k' and '64k' there are alot of differences underneath that dont actually relate to the actual RAM differences...

your easiest path is to just get a XL (600XL or 800XL), or even an XE (65XE or 130XE), and use them...

not so easy path, is to wait for warerat to release his board that makes a 800 XL/XE compatible...

sloopy.

...The not-so easy path is probably the best one... although elusive as a migratory bird... I have tried to chase it down myself, but no idea where that (wonderful) project is. I will PAY for something like this, BTW.

F.

sloopy.

...The not-so easy path is probably the best one... although elusive as a migratory bird... I have tried to chase it down myself, but no idea where that (wonderful) project is. I will PAY for something like this, BTW.

F.

i just talked to warerat a few days back, and he is still going to make the board, he just has other things that take precedence, i would guess...

if you contact him via IM, he might be able to get something done for you, i dont know. but personally i never saw the point of making a 800 XL/XE compatible myself, even tho the 800 was my first A8 for a couple years...

sloopy.