IGNORED

Atari 800 -> VGA

I am trying to get my old 800 back up and running again. One progelm that I thought would be easy was getting a comp video to VGA converter. I searched the posts here, but they are several years old, so I was wondering what converters you can get now are the best for the job. My old Amdec color monitor, is no longer functioning :-(

-Jim

Composite is a poor quality signal to begin with.

The problem with converting to VGA is that you also need to do scan-doubling.

Your best bet is an S-Video to VGA convertor that does scan-doubling. I believe there are a few of them around, they were aimed at the console crowd for those machines that didn't have actual RGB output.

The 800 monitor output contains what's needed for S-Video (seperate colour and luma).

eBay is a good starting place. My guess is that you'd be looking at somewhere around $40-$80 for one.

Alternatively you could just get a modern LCD TV that accepts S-Video. Given that you can now get one for $100 give or take 30 bucks, it might be a better alternative.

Edited by Rybags

The best Atari->VGA converter is the VBXE board. It emulates the GTIA chip and there is a firmware version that outputs VGA although you loose the VBXE specific graphics modes if you don't upgrade the clock crystal.

I don't know if it can be fitted in an 800 but Candle surely knows.

Robert