IGNORED

Will Wii be the last classic system?

Ryanw

I've heard this "feature" mentioned a few times. Is this hypothetical or can a company really lock you out of an old game?

I can site one good example (of many):

Microsoft pulls the plug on original XBox titles

Oh and this is not limited to consoles:

iPhone 'Kill Switch'

Accord to the Apple patent application:

"A photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above," the patent states.

What the fuck!?!

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard this "feature" mentioned a few times. Is this hypothetical or can a company really lock you out of an old game?

iPhone 'Kill Switch'

This is getting out of hand. Now the severs for multiplayer Codemasters' Grid are being turned off. The game's not even all that old! At least let us enjoy this stuff for more than two years before you pull the plug, guys!

I actually wrote a piece for my web site a while back in which I asserted that the Dreamcast will be the last classic system.

http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/dc_classic.htm

OP, I definitely agree with what you are saying about downloadable content and online content affecting the playability of the current generation of consoles 20 years from now. I feel like the classic gamer of the future will be bragging in the thrift finds thread about what downloadable games were on the hard drive of the Xbox 360 that they found at Goodwill.

Chris

• Like 3

Can the Wii ever be a "classic" system?

If you can purchase a game and never own a physical copy of it, the system cannot be a classic system. Digital distribution is a fundamental industry change. Even using online updates for the OS or to patch games is an irreconcilable difference that prohibits a system from being classic. From a hardware perspective, this isn't because of networking but because of hard drives and large rewritable storage becoming standard.

I'd like to see your source. Unless it's your ass.

If there are not at least a dozen successful arcade titles (games that were first released in the arcade and successful) that dominated sales in your console's game library, it cannot be a classic system. Because the arcade is now mostly irrelevant and therefore it is impossible for an arcade title to be successful, it is impossible for a current system to meet that requirement. The last system to have a large selection of successful arcade titles was the Dreamcast.

Ever heard of Atari, Activision, Capcom, or Taito? They've got this covered. They'll be offering compilations of classic crap on each successive console until long after we are dead. Your great-great-great-grandchildren will be snorting Frogger spores from their Ninplaybox Ultras.

In 50 years the Wii might be "retro," but it can never be classic.

Dude, you HAVE to introduce me to your dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

iPhone 'Kill Switch'

Accord to the Apple patent application:

"A photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above," the patent states.

What the fuck!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

funny isn't it

• 2 weeks later...

iPhone 'Kill Switch'

This is getting out of hand. Now the severs for multiplayer Codemasters' Grid are being turned off. The game's not even all that old! At least let us enjoy this stuff for more than two years before you pull the plug, guys!

And the kill switches just keep going. Now EA is turning off online play for a multitude of games, several of these are titles I still play today! When will it stop??