IGNORED

various controllers on the 8-bit

The subject of how well 2600 paddles work on the various 8-bit computers came up in the high score club recently, and apparently the paddles don't work as well on the XL and XE models as they do on the two original tanks (400 and 800). Is this the case with any other controllers?

Are the 7800 prolines and joypads okay to use on the various 8-bit systems? Are any controllers unusable, or not advisable? I once read that some Sega controllers could actually damage Ataris due to voltages that they sent into the consoles. But I don't know if that's actually possible since I don't understand how the controllers actually work. Does anyone know the answers to any of my ramblings? I generally use the CX40 or a WICO stick (ball, bat, or boss).

Thanks in advance for any input.

I use a pair of Genny controls on Robotron. Had no problems yet. :)

I've used a Genesis controller on Montezuma's Revenge, also with no problems. The Sega controllers that I read about, that were said to be detrimental, were the Master System controllers. But I have absolutely no experience with them.

I use a pair of Genny controls on Robotron. Had no problems yet. :)

I've used a Genesis controller on Montezuma's Revenge, also with no problems. The Sega controllers that I read about, that were said to be detrimental, were the Master System controllers. But I have absolutely no experience with them.

Should be even less of a chance of damage using SMS controls. All they are inside is direct circuits with no IC's or anything else. Not much more than a CX40 with an extra output. Genny controls have 3 extra outputs and internal IC that some directionals and fire buttons run through instead of being wired directly.

I've also used two SMS sticks on Robotron.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

As long as you don't get the "made in China" ones, they're durable. I've been using the same ones since '87. Comfortable is a matter of opinion. I might be just used to them so I don't mind, but I do prefer the Genny 3-button controls for a few games. The diagonals are better on Genny stuff.

The only SMS controls I found any evidence of causing damage are the Sega Sports Pad(track ball), and the Sega Paddle Control(Japan only).

Edited by zylon