IGNORED

Trying to print

I've got some Basic XE source code that I'd like to get from the Emulator (Altirra), out to a PCL Laser printer, printed in ATASCII.

I can get it to text by listing to printer in the emu, but I loose all the extended chars, so that doesn't really help.

Any suggestions. Seems like there should be an easier way to skin this cat.

Thanks

I've got some Basic XE source code that I'd like to get from the Emulator (Altirra), out to a PCL Laser printer, printed in ATASCII.

I can get it to text by listing to printer in the emu, but I loose all the extended chars, so that doesn't really help.

Any suggestions. Seems like there should be an easier way to skin this cat.

Thanks

I don't have the newest version on my laptop yet. Check to see if it offers any kind of MX-80 emulation. I know APE will let me print to an MX-80 emulator, and I can then send that to my Windows based laser printer.

ANALOG once offered the G: printer driver, that printed out using the current character set to an attached Epson printer (essentially, it turns printing into a graphic dump). Not sure how well it would work under emulation, but it may be worth a try.

More info oinline at: http://analog.katorlegaz.com/analog_1985-10_120dpi_jpeg_cropped/analog_1985-10_081.html

Edited by David_P

If you can use SpartaDOS, try LPRINT on my SpartaDOS Utilities Disk. It will do what you want.

http://www.atari8.co.uk/sdutils/

I am using spartados, so thats cool. LPRINT seems to just print to a local printer connected to the ATari, which I don't have. When I use this in Altirra, I just get a dump to the printer output window that looks like:

?A??N??L8??<~JR~<??????????~~PPP@???.**>????:**.$?? |~""?????????

?L????"~~????????????BB~~BB????>~PP??????????~~HHx0???>**:????>**:???~~????????<~fB??@FNXp`???"~~?????"~~????Bf~<??????8l??????l8?

???"fNZr"??tvRR^L??tvRR^L??????????@@~~@@??~~???????>**:???>> >???????????<~BJNN??>> 0????.**>?????$$<???~~????????^^?????>"""??

??:**.$??????????<~JR~<?

?L8??"fNZr"??????????~~HHx0???>"">???~~???????>**:???????????@FNXp`??tvRR^L??"fNZr"???????????"~~??????66????~~HHx0???>"">???~~???

????>**:???????????,~RR~,??"fNZr"??????????<~JR~<????66???? `JZp ??????????pp??pp??||px^N??pp??pp????66????<~BJNN???>"">??? |~""?

??>"">???????????DFRznD??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<?

?L???DFRznD??????????~~PPP@???.**>????:**.$?? |~""????????????66????<~BBf$???.**>????B~~?????B~~????????????pp??pp??~~0?0~~??>dd>

???BB~~BB??~~8?~~??????????~~0?0~~?~~RRRB??~~8?~~??~~??~~??pp??pp?

?L@???"~~???? rRV|8?? rRV|8?? rRV|8??????????~~HL~2???>**:???>>??8>???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?L???"fNZr"??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??????????~~HHx0??>> 0????>"">????>"""????>**:???????~~??<>??>>??>> 0????>**:???????????pp??p

p??~~PPP@??~~??~~??~~??????~~?????????????? rRR^???<~BBf$??~~HL~2??~~RRRB??~~RRRB??~~8?~~??pp??pp?

?L ??"fNZr"??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??tvRR^L??????????????????????????<~BB~<??<>??>>?? |~""??$t??\H??$$$$$$??pp??pp??~~HHx0??>> 0????>**:

????:**.$???:**.$??????????~~RRRB?? rRR^???<~BBf$????||???? rRR^???~~??~~??BB~~BB??~~PPP@??@@~~@@????||??????8l????@@~~@@???>dd>??

?~~RR~,????l8????????????8>???>8?~~???????>**:???>> >???????????????~~???>"">???>> >????>**:???????????pp??pp??????????<~BBf$??>

> 0???$t??\H??????????pp??pp??~~HHx0??>> 0????>**:????:**.$???:**.$????????????8l????~~HL~2??~~RRRB??@@~~@@??~~??~~??~~HL~2??~~8

?~~????l8???????????? |~""???>"">????????????:**.$?? |~""???.**>???>> 0??? |~""??????????????????????????pp??pp????66????<~BBf

So I think I'm still stuck.

I am using spartados, so thats cool. LPRINT seems to just print to a local printer connected to the ATari, which I don't have. When I use this in Altirra, I just get a dump to the printer output window that looks like:

I'm sorry - I really misunderstood your question. I guess you need the output (which is in EPSON line graphics mode) redirected to a file?

Ok, Its not perfect, but I have what I need.

This is what I did:

Listed my program to my atr volume

In Altirra, turned on HD mode so that I can copy files to my host OS

copied the file to h1:

Downloaded AtasciiView from http://www.leehanken.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/atascii/

This lets me load my listed program, view and print to a std windows printer.

Its obvious its not direct from an atari with a 9 pin dot matrix, but it will do for now.

If you can use SpartaDOS, try LPRINT on my SpartaDOS Utilities Disk. It will do what you want.

http://www.atari8.co.uk/sdutils/

?A??N??L8??<~JR~<??????????~~PPP@???.**>????:**.$?? |~""?????????

?L????"~~????????????BB~~BB????>~PP??????????~~HHx0???>**:????>**:???~~????????<~fB??@FNXp`???"~~?????"~~????Bf~<??????8l??????l8?

???"fNZr"??tvRR^L??tvRR^L??????????@@~~@@??~~???????>**:???>> >???????????<~BJNN??>> 0????.**>?????$$<???~~????????^^?????>"""??

??:**.$??????????<~JR~<?

?L8??"fNZr"??????????~~HHx0???>"">???~~???????>**:???????????@FNXp`??tvRR^L??"fNZr"???????????"~~??????66????~~HHx0???>"">???~~???

????>**:???????????,~RR~,??"fNZr"??????????<~JR~<????66???? `JZp ??????????pp??pp??||px^N??pp??pp????66????<~BJNN???>"">??? |~""?

??>"">???????????DFRznD??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<?

?L???DFRznD??????????~~PPP@???.**>????:**.$?? |~""????????????66????<~BBf$???.**>????B~~?????B~~????????????pp??pp??~~0?0~~??>dd>

???BB~~BB??~~8?~~??????????~~0?0~~?~~RRRB??~~8?~~??~~??~~??pp??pp?

?L@???"~~???? rRV|8?? rRV|8?? rRV|8??????????~~HL~2???>**:???>>??8>???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?L???"fNZr"??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??????????~~HHx0??>> 0????>"">????>"""????>**:???????~~??<>??>>??>> 0????>**:???????????pp??p

p??~~PPP@??~~??~~??~~??????~~?????????????? rRR^???<~BBf$??~~HL~2??~~RRRB??~~RRRB??~~8?~~??pp??pp?

?L ??"fNZr"??<~JR~<??<~JR~<??tvRR^L??????????????????????????<~BB~<??<>??>>?? |~""??$t??\H??$$$$$$??pp??pp??~~HHx0??>> 0????>**:

????:**.$???:**.$??????????~~RRRB?? rRR^???<~BBf$????||???? rRR^???~~??~~??BB~~BB??~~PPP@??@@~~@@????||??????8l????@@~~@@???>dd>??

?~~RR~,????l8????????????8>???>8?~~???????>**:???>> >???????????????~~???>"">???>> >????>**:???????????pp??pp??????????<~BBf$??>

> 0???$t??\H??????????pp??pp??~~HHx0??>> 0????>**:????:**.$???:**.$????????????8l????~~HL~2??~~RRRB??@@~~@@??~~??~~??~~HL~2??~~8

?~~????l8???????????? |~""???>"">????????????:**.$?? |~""???.**>???>> 0??? |~""??????????????????????????pp??pp????66????<~BBf

So I think I'm still stuck.

check out this site also if you want view ATASCII files it will also convert Ataribasic files to LST format, also Turbobasic files.

I have a Macro for UltraEdit to view ATASCII files also, but you need to install the Atari Font from DIS6502 into your Windows FONT folder.

http://joyfulcoder.com/memopad/

MEMOPAD v.6

I haven't tried to print any ATASCII file to a windows printer, but the latest version of APE from www.atarimax.com has emulated printing of ATASCII files.