IGNORED

Project Cafe: It's about time we had a tablet controller

I've been waiting for a controller like this since Dreamcast, and that was over ten years ago.

POLL: Is Nintendo's touch screen Project Cafe controller a better innovation than the Wii motion controller?

Vote: http://www.wepolls.com/r/326324

I remember in 2000 when Microsoft was gearing up for Xbox, the controller was obviously inspired by Dreamcast, and they said that the only reason they didn't have a screen was because the tech wasn't affordable. Well, not it obviously is. This is really was Sega envisioned years ago with the VMU. A portable gaming device and a built in screen for the controller. Awesome. For the first time in decades I am interested in a Nintendo console. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up, though.

The same rumors predicting a 6" touch screen also mention things like dual analog joysticks. So whoever it was that created the poll seems to be incorrectly thinking that we're going to be losing our buttons, d-pad, and analog sticks if this happens in favor of just a touch screen interface.

And motion controls will still be included if we choose to buy into the touch screen rumor. The same rumors mention that this traditional controller with it's integrated touchscreen can also serve as a sensor bar for Wii HD motion games and backwards compatibility. Nintendo surely isn't going to be leaving motion gaming behind anytime soon.

I personally don't think it will be anything revolutionary. It will be nice for some games (Such as selecting your plays in a football game, handling your inventory in a Zelda game, etc.), but I don't see it changing console gaming or having a significant include like the Wii's motion controls had.

Will be interesting to find out more over the next few days.

Edited by Atariboy

This is really was Sega envisioned years ago with the VMU. A portable gaming device and a built in screen for the controller. Awesome. For the first time in decades I am interested in a Nintendo console. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up, though.

Like they did last time, with the GBA-as-GC-Controller link-up cable that all of two games used?

Still, I need to see more nintendo-approved details rather than rumors. I've heard that you can play games directly on the controller, without a TV -- what happens to the info that'd normally be shown on the controller's screen, then? That may be baloney. Who knows.

• Like 1

This is really was Sega envisioned years ago with the VMU. A portable gaming device and a built in screen for the controller. Awesome. For the first time in decades I am interested in a Nintendo console. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up, though.

Like they did last time, with the GBA-as-GC-Controller link-up cable that all of two games used?

Last I checked, that wasn't the standard controller, hence why it was used so little... :roll:

But will hardcore gamers go after a system with a new type of game controller but graphics power that's one generation behind its competitors?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Sony and Microsoft will come up with next that will make the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 seem like yesterday's news.