IGNORED

New NXE Announced for Xbox 360

xg4bx

New Xbox Experience announced. Watch, play games, chat, and experience your Xbox 360 with Kinect. YouTube support, Bing, Last FM, are all included with the NXE update. Microsoft is adding live TV with Xbox 360 as expected; News, Sports, and more content are accessible at your voice command, along with DVR features. Launches this Fall 2011.

http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/e3-2011-new-nxe-announced-for-1

I'm interested in this, since I cut my cable last year. I'm glad I did it, but I'd still be interested in a way to obtain select network shows in DVRed form, without the need for monthly fees and without requiring a large hardware investment. A service like this seems ideal, but given how BADLY MS screwed up the ESPN3 "feature" they announced at last year's E3, I'm certainly taking a wait-and-see approach.

Here are some questions I'll be trying to answer for myself:

#1 - The service launches in Fall of 2011. Does this mean, like ESPN3, it won't be ready in time for the new fall season, and will pretty much screw over anyone depending on this to see the programming in a timely manner?

#2 - The service uses Kinect, but does it REQUIRE Kinect?

#3 - The service uses U-Verse, but does it REQUIRE U-Verse?

#4 - Does it function purely over the internet, and not require any cable/satellite/arial connection whatsover?

I'm interested in this, since I cut my cable last year. I'm glad I did it, but I'd still be interested in a way to obtain select network shows in DVRed form, without the need for monthly fees and without requiring a large hardware investment. A service like this seems ideal, but given how BADLY MS screwed up the ESPN3 "feature" they announced at last year's E3, I'm certainly taking a wait-and-see approach.

Here are some questions I'll be trying to answer for myself:

#1 - The service launches in Fall of 2011. Does this mean, like ESPN3, it won't be ready in time for the new fall season, and will pretty much screw over anyone depending on this to see the programming in a timely manner?

#2 - The service uses Kinect, but does it REQUIRE Kinect?

#3 - The service uses U-Verse, but does it REQUIRE U-Verse?

#4 - Does it function purely over the internet, and not require any cable/satellite/arial connection whatsover?

How did they screw up ESPN3?

How did they screw up ESPN3?

ESPN3 was announced at E3, and was said to be available "In the Fall". Which, of course, could mean anytime between September and December. It wound up showing up in Late October/Early November, long after the bulk of football season had passed. I understand that football isn't the only sport in the US, but it's arguably the most popular, so letting the service languish until after the season is f-ing STUPID. Also, once I did get the service, it couldn't play the games without looking pixelated as all hell... I ended up pulling up ESPN3 on my Mac Mini, and got better performance out of the machine.

Too little, too late. Quite literally.