IGNORED

Announced Jaguar CD-ROM games:

Walter_J-64

Seriously though... why should Telegames bother with finishing these games and spending a few more $ thousand or so into developing and releasing if only a few people buy them.

The 'now' user-base of Jaguar CD owners seems much lower then it was even a few years back.

I see why and where Telegames sits... I'm beginning to question if it's really worth the time and trouble I'm going through with my upcoming releases... (as only 30 some-odd people have shown any interest).

Especially when I'm not in it for the money, but for getting it out to the people who's actually interested....

Then again, I guess if I make 20 people happy, I've done my job :)

However, in Telegames position it's different, because they ARE in it for the money. I seriously doubt they would be able to sell 500 copies of a new Jag CD game even over the period of 1 year.

Then again, they do ask what ? $59.99 for CD games?

(However, very professionally done)

As far as I know Powerslide didn't even get started? It was closer to the end of the things to do list.

Virtuoso? Isn't there something licensing to do with that?

Who knows... , but it's probably unfinished & with the fees assoctiated with it, why? I would LOVE to see both of them, even at Beta stage for that matter...

hmm....

Clint Thompson

:P

I see why and where Telegames sits...  I'm beginning to question if it's really worth the time and trouble I'm going through with my upcoming releases... (as only 30 some-odd people have shown any interest).

Especially when I'm not in it for the money, but for getting it out to the people who's actually interested....

I think the market is a lot bigger than you see from preliminary responses. My experience is that there are a lot of people who "wait and see" and then make their orders. Every time I make plenty of extra BS carts to meet demand and have a surplus, I get many follow-up orders.

If you make a quality product and make do it professionally, then people will want it.

It's obvious that Telegames will never release anymore for the Jag, but has anybody tried getting those games or any they have, finished or not, to finish and publish themselves, like SongBird or you Clint, or even Scatologic? I'd think that if Telegames has no intention of ever doing anything, that they'd at least be open to selling the stuff off for a nominal amount, after all, they aren't making any money letting it all collect dust over there, are they?

It's obvious that Telegames will never release anymore for the Jag, but has anybody tried getting those games or any they have, finished or not, to finish and publish themselves, like SongBird or you Clint, or even Scatologic? I'd think that if Telegames has no intention of ever doing anything, that they'd at least be open to selling the stuff off for a nominal amount, after all, they aren't making any money letting it all collect dust over there, are they?

It could be a good idea.... we have to hope that Telegames will sell rights of those games at a fair price. But Telegames are in market for business, so the price could become too high for an indipendent developer/seller....

I see why and where Telegames sits...  I'm beginning to question if it's really worth the time and trouble I'm going through with my upcoming releases... (as only 30 some-odd people have shown any interest).

I think the market is a lot bigger than you see from preliminary responses. My experience is that there are a lot of people who "wait and see" and then make their orders. Every time I make plenty of extra BS carts to meet demand and have a surplus, I get many follow-up orders.

If you make a quality product and make do it professionally, then people will want it.

I think you're right. Jaguar potential market could be big; also CD user-base seems to be growing than past years (look at the CD player price, 400% - US$45 to US$180 - from '96 to '02 ). Probably not all the Jag owners are ready to spend full price for a new game, but that's another story. IMHO, obviously :)

It could be a good idea.... we have to hope that Telegames will sell rights of those games at a fair price. But Telegames are in market for business, so the price could become too high for an indipendent developer/seller....

The way I look at it, independent developers/publishers are the ONLY people who would be remotely interested in buying the rights, so it's them at a price they can afford, or Telegames gets nothing. Plain and simple, they make a few dollars, or none. One would think that Telegames would realize this too. But then, we are talking about a company that over charges on EVERYTHING, so since they are so damned greedy and chincy, maybe they would rather make nothing for fear that someone else might actually make a little bit...

If Telegames actually did release some more Jag titles, even at their crazy-high prices (just look at the prices of their 6-year-old Jag games still!), I'd buy them, but I will never buy anything else from them because of their prices. They could probably make a lot more in the long run from more sales if they actually reduced prices than they do now at their ridiculous prices. Greed always make people stupid.

The way I look at it, independent developers/publishers are the ONLY people who would be remotely interested in buying the rights, so it's them at a price they can afford, or Telegames gets nothing. Plain and simple, they make a few dollars, or none. One would think that Telegames would realize this too. But then, we are talking about a company that over charges on EVERYTHING, so since they are so damned greedy and chincy, maybe they would rather make nothing for fear that someone else might actually make a little bit...

That's exactly what I think... :sad:

Did anybody ask Telegames what were their requests for selling those licences and sources?

I remembere there was a similar discussion last year on JI2, but I couldn't find any money-related answer.

It would be much simple if Telegames publicly (referred to the Jag community) stated their requests, so we could have a look at them and discuss a solution. Who knows, maybe it is a sum you can put together just with a producer and a couple of sponsors...

After all, I agree that Telegames has two choices: get little money o get no money.

And I also understand that they just don't release anything by themselves: as T'bird stated time ago, it would mean more losses since the community isn't as big as needed to raise a lot of mony.

Did anybody ask Telegames what were their requests for selling those licences and sources?

I remembere there was a similar discussion last year on JI2, but I couldn't find any money-related answer.

It would be much simple if Telegames publicly (referred to the Jag community) stated their requests, so we could have a look at them and discuss a solution. Who knows, maybe it is a sum you can put together just with a producer and a couple of sponsors...

After all, I agree that Telegames has two choices: get little money o get no money.

And I also understand that they just don't release anything by themselves: as T'bird stated time ago, it would mean more losses since the community isn't as big as needed to raise a lot of mony.

Has anyone actually seen these titles in any form, or actually knows if Telegames actually owns them or any part of them. Every time I see a statement from them it's very general and generic and never mentions any titles at all. it makes me think that people are assuming they own the rights to them and they don't want to say anything to show otherwise for some reason.

I'm quite sure by now that they have been approached by other developers looking to publish the games because it's a lot easier to take existing code and burn carts or CDs than it is to sit down and code a game from scratch and THEN make a production run.

... When I asked about the Alpine Board they had, they wouldn't even consider (in the hundreds) range... I'm thinking, Ok? $600, maybe 800? (and that's if it's a 4MB right?)

E-mailed me back saying, We paid over $9,000 for our kit, if you can get it for a few hundred else where go for it, at least ours will be working!

$600-800 is a (few hundred?)

Compared to $9,000 I guess... but damn....

So if they still wan't (thousands) for their Alpine, they probably want (millions) for the games... ;-)

Ah... they could make a'bit small profit from it now, or wait 15 years when they are "out of business" due to extremely high prices and an ex-employee leaks the rom or cart into the public etc. and it's all over the net like Atari 800 roms are now....

I would like to work with Telegames... but the question is will they work with us? (and at a reasonable cost/rate)

Ah well, at least Telegames released some more Jag games... they could have sat on everything I suppose and not budged an inch.

From the sounds of their responses... they sound like they have the same

attitude Atari had to publishers, etc. Always Negative...

It's just really risky... if I knew I could get 300 people to order at a price of $30-$40 for an un-released game, it may be worth it...(more importantly , more possible)

Then you have people of 3 or 4 teaming up saying (Hey, if we all pitch in $5, we can get the game and I'll burn copies for the rest of you so we can all have the game cheap!)

ho humm...

Clint Thompson

... When I asked about the Alpine Board they had, they wouldn't even consider (in the hundreds) range... I'm thinking, Ok? $600, maybe 800? (and that's if it's a 4MB right?)

E-mailed me back saying, We paid over $9,000 for our kit, if you can get it for a few hundred else where go for it, at least ours will be working!

So if they still wan't (thousands) for their Alpine, they probably want (millions) for the games... ;-)

That seems to put an end to all our dreams :sad:

Never give up hope Red Dragon ;-)

Remember, the Atari community doesn't let go of things that easy ;-)

...besides... Telegames is just one point... there's still ground that needs to be uncovered from other places...

I had put together a board (meeting board) for such things, but it looks as what I need really is a business partner... someone that has 100% soul for this kind of Atari stuff.... and someone that is willing to help put some time and effort (and some money) into it, and moreover - someone trustworthy. :)

As much I say it's not about the money (it's about getting the un-released to be released) it takes talk-money to get people interested or even listen to you like your serious (ex-Atari game developers....)

Red Marble Atari Logo.... has some serious soul yes?

Seek on Young Neo....

.......Zone Hunter I am

Ah...  they could make a'bit small profit from it now, or wait 15 years when they are "out of business" due to extremely high prices and an ex-employee leaks the rom or cart into the public etc. and it's all over the net like Atari 800 roms are now....

I would like to work with Telegames... but the question is will they work with us? (and at a reasonable cost/rate)

Ah well, at least Telegames released some more Jag games... they could have sat on everything I suppose and not budged an inch.

From the sounds of their responses... they sound like they have the same

attitude Atari had to publishers, etc.  Always Negative...

It's just really risky...  if I knew I could get 300 people to order at a price of $30-$40 for an un-released game, it may be worth it...(more importantly , more possible)

Then you have people of 3 or 4 teaming up saying (Hey, if we all pitch in $5, we can get the game and I'll burn copies for the rest of you so we can all have the game cheap!)  

ho humm...  

Clint Thompson

I think their position sounds like they are not concerned with what they can get for the Alpine board and/or the software now. Think of it this way, if you spent $10,000 on development system for the Jaguar and now you can get perhaps 6% or 8% of that back now, there's no real incentive to get that small amount back ascompared to what you already lost. Not to mention the fact that you probably depreciated the system and claimed it on taxes already, so selling it now would mean you'd have to claim it as income and lose 30% or 40% of the money you made, plus do all the accounting and whatnot. So, they make back maybe $300 on the system by selling it to you. Not a really good incentive to sell it.

The same holds true for the software they paid to develop and don't want to sell.

...besides... Telegames is just one point... there's still ground that needs to be uncovered from other places...

Yes, don't worry... I was only talking about titles owned by Telegames. I still have a big hope about all the other titles that are 'wandering' around :)

And, I'd like to help you with this, but I'm in Italy... not in U.S.

Yes, don't worry... I was only talking about titles owned by Telegames. I still have a big hope about all the other titles that are 'wandering' around :)

And, I'd like to help you with this, but I'm in Italy... not in U.S.

Who cares where you live? This is all one big happy planet. Global Economy, and all that jazz. Anyone can publish Jag games in this day and age! Go for it!

Well, Clint, I the guy you mentioned above, except for one thing; lack of substancial funds...If I had millions or hundreds of millions, the very first thing I'd do is buy Atari and get it back into the hardware business with the heart and soul it had when Nolan owned it, hell, I'd even hire him back as an exec or CEO or something...

I'd LOVE to get the ball rolling on getting rights to titles and releasing them for the Jag, even if I never made any of my money back, because like you, I want to do it out of love for the Jag and Atari, but alas, I'm a very poor student. Hopefully someday...it's just sad that the people who really want to put their heart and soul into it don't have the money, and people that do have the money could care less...Murphy's Law and life's not fair and all that Jazz... :sad:

Gunstar.... really? :) you have my contact info yes? Perhaps you can email me sometime....

I know there's quite a few of us that would love to buy Atari and make it the real-deal again.... (damn the powerball! I should have won ;-) haha...

I would pay $5 mil for Atari like the last 3 companies have ;)

(permitting I had it heh..)

btw... what company/site is Nolan running right now? I remember him making a site for some sort of games I thought? but can't remember the link.... anyone?

Also.... who owns 1196 now? hmm.. maybe I'll have to look that up out of curiosity....

---

TBird is right- t.skid.... :)

Clint Thompson

Oh, guys!

these Telegames facts make me sad, but I agree that somewhere

else there are unfinished or unreleased games waiting for us.

About financing: I still think that if it's matter of 1000-2000$, is it possible to find two or three sponsors willing to help.

About t.skid's statement: I think he meant that since he is in Italy, he is far from any Atari action, either in the US or in Europe. Of course it is possible to work on projects, but it's difficult to help finding lost games or contacting Atari-related people

Gunstar....  really? :)  you have my contact info yes? Perhaps you can email me sometime....

I know there's quite a few of us that would love to buy Atari and make it the real-deal again....   (damn the powerball! I should have won ;-) haha...

I would pay $5 mil for Atari like the last 3 companies have ;)

(permitting I had it  heh..)

btw... what company/site is Nolan running right now? I remember him making a site for some sort of games I thought? but can't remember the link.... anyone?

Also.... who owns 1196 now? hmm.. maybe I'll have to look that up out of curiosity....

---

TBird is right-  t.skid.... :)

Clint Thompson

In case you didn't know, Nolan made a play to get back Atari back when they were getting sold to JTS (or sold by JTS, I forget when exactly) and he was rebuffed. I think that there was some animosity there and they didn't want him to have it back, so they vlew off his offers or something.