IGNORED

which coin op to computer conversions still hold up well today

xxl was working on the direct port of Asteroids, using slightly modified arcade ROMs and A8-side code to do the rendering etc.

Not sure what the status of that one is - there would be © issues but the game could be released as a patcher that builds an executable with ROM images that the user supplies.

Someone else a while back was working on a vectored one (Rasteroids ?) It looked promising but seems to have stalled.

Dandy>Gauntlet

And I like dark chambers better also

Wow, I'd never played Dark Chamber before, I remember the title screen but after a go I have to say its a lovely Gauntlet clone, knocks spots of the 'official' version.

Cheers for mentioning it Skarrj

Must have a look at the 5200 Centipede, seems to be getting 'bigged up' on here...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Dandy>Gauntlet

And I like dark chambers better also

Wow, I'd never played Dark Chamber before, I remember the title screen but after a go I have to say its a lovely Gauntlet clone, knocks spots of the 'official' version.

Cheers for mentioning it Skarrj

Must have a look at the 5200 Centipede, seems to be getting 'bigged up' on here...

You might like "into the eagles nest" also. Its pretty pricey for the official cart though

If you want to see what Millipede *should* have been then get the 2600 version. Seriously. The gameplay is *there*. Now imagine that with the graphical oomph of the 800/XL chipset, and you'd have a great conversion. :D

It must be good as I always really rated our Millipede ;)

re Centipede we played both the A8 ver and the 5200 port in the HSC recently; although the 5200 ver looks nicer I think the A8 version plays better as it's a bit easier (no I don't suck at gameplay!) so you get a more satisfying go :ponder: [All these 'pede games are excellent games so we are spoilt, plus we have the awesome Bug Attack!]

Aside from the comsetics, are there any A8 conversions where we are missing on levels or gameplay features :?:

Missile Command for the 8-bit (and 2600) has only one shooting base, while other versions have three like the arcade. That's all I can think of, besides the intermissions that were missing in Pac-Man but were later added.

If you want to see what Millipede *should* have been then get the 2600 version. Seriously. The gameplay is *there*. Now imagine that with the graphical oomph of the 800/XL chipset, and you'd have a great conversion. :D

It must be good as I always really rated our Millipede ;)

Well, just to see if it was as bad as I remember I just fired up the 800 cartridge version and it doesn't even come close in the gameplay department. Yeah, it looks pretty but even there they didn't go for smooth motion of the enemies like they could have (the 2600 version is pretty much the same in that respect). The other thing that the 2600 version got right was the player movement; it's pretty much impossible to make a joystick act like a trackball. But the compromise they struck (and it's unmistakeably a compromise) works well.

TL;DR: There's still room for a decent Millipede conversion for the A8. Even a straight conversion of the 2600 version (using a graphics kernel) would be better. :D

(Caveat: I'm speaking of the NTSC versions here, never had a PAL incarnation of either machine.)

I recall finding Pole Position amazing. I mean yeah, not arcade perfect at all, very different controls, etc., but still an exciting racing game. Asteroids was terrible. But really, looking back the games I loved the most were Defender, Joust, and Donkey Kong.

Pole Position was my first and for a while my only game for my 600XL. I played it to *death*. Loved it too and still love it now. I know it's not near arcade perfect but compared to my ZX81 which was black and white with no sound, it was awesome :)