IGNORED

FAST_OS.SYS

Fox-1 / mnx

What is it?

Tried it to load with DOS 2.5, which it does. According to what I see on the screen it's accessing the RAM under the O.S. I found it on a disk with some KMK HD utilities, size is 14,643 bytes and that's about all I know. It's likely a soft-OS but what's "fast" about it?

What is it?

Tried it to load with DOS 2.5, which it does. According to what I see on the screen it's accessing the RAM under the O.S. I found it on a disk with some KMK HD utilities, size is 14,643 bytes and that's about all I know. It's likely a soft-OS but what's "fast" about it?

Can we have a look at it?

The Newell fast FP replaces the $D800-$DFFF routines and is quicker than the default Atari OSes for FP. To the best of my knowledge it resides entirely within that area, no JMP/JSRs to the outside world.

There's another one around that I have, you can identify it by the fact that it is yet faster again compared to the Newell one, and it also has some FP code that resides around the $CB00 area.

Fairly easy to identify - just browse either area and look for relevant RAM accesses in the $CB00 area code, or JMP/JSRs in the $D800-DFFF code that go outside that area.