IGNORED

GoldenEye: Worth it?

godslabrat

I'm considering picking up GoldenEye. The game is old enough now that I think everyone has had time to get some perspective on it. Some questions:

1- Will this game be fun to someone who loved the N64 version and played it into the ground? (ie, Me)

2- Will this game be fun to someone who has never played the N64 version, isn't a strong gamer, but loves James Bond (ie, my gf)

3- Can I bring the disc home, slap it in, and get at least 70% of the game's features up front, or do I have to grind through it in lamer mode to unlock the fun stuff?

4- What controller is best?

1. Its pretty fun, single player is identical to the N64 vesrsion, and online is a blast.

2. Yes it is pretty easily picked up by someone new.

3. I am not sure about single player, but you have to grind through levels (CoD style) to be able to unlock stronger guns, do custom profiles, things of that nature. But honestly... I mostly run the close default profile you get from level one... you get added bonus stuff that you don't get with a custom class.

4. Classic Controller Pro. The Gamecube controllers are too sensitive. They didn't translate over well.

Single player is very different from the Nintendo 64 game.

This isn't a remake of the classic Nintendo 64 Rare game. This is a brand new game that just happens to be in the same genre, use the same movie license, and takes some inspiration from the Nintendo 64 classic.

Atariboy already said it. Don't bother getting this game if you liked the N64 version, because the Wii update has nothing to do with it.

This is something I couldn't understand when the game was being talked about. People were jumping for joy because GoldenEye 007 was moving up from the N64 to the Wii. None of them noticed something though... GoldenEye Wii was being developed/published/whatever by Activision (maybe farmed out). There was absolutely ZERO collaboration or assocation with Rare Ltd. OR Crytek UK (formerly known as Free Radical and Free Radical Design), which were, back when they were just Rareware, the original designers of GoldenEye N64. Activision reportedly wasn't even borrowing designs or code from the N64 original.

So, to sum my thoughts up, GoldenEye Wii was the biggest WTF of the decade for me. Not about the game itself, but all the hype surrounding it. Why on earth was anyone excited about it when neither Rare or FRD/Crytek UK had anything to do with it? WHY?!?! :? :x

Get it, but get the version that comes with the classic controller. I personnaly hate the motion controls on this game and for me plays so much better with dual analog sticks. The multiplayer is one of the best you will play on the will, and does have some grinding/unlocking elements from COD. Once you get some play time in, multiplayer really starts to be fun. The only real thing that sux is a lack of communication, however most of the teams ive been on worked well regardless of not being able to talk to each other.

If anyone wants to team up for some TDM, pm me so we can work out some game times.

Edited by Skarrj

The singleplayer was so boring I haven't even finished it yet. One of the last levels I've completed was basically a needlessly long cutscene that you walk through at some nightclub. Elsewhere in the game (in the only level that I actually enjoyed, mind you) there's a button-mashing QTE segment that I found damn near impossible using my favorite classic controller (and I'm a button mashing king), but really easy with the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

The multiplayer, I didn't play much simply because the singleplayer killed my desire for it. The one time I played online, I did have some good fun (used wimote and nunchuk) but it just wasn't as much fun as, say, Perfect Dark vs some bots. I'm not sure how much a difference your exp level makes, but I have this baaad feeling that it could be fairly significant, my only assurance being that my first medal/achievement/whatever maxed out was "Skill vs Experience" for killing players that were some levels higher than me. (The other one I maxed out? The one for melee kills.) If it helps, I had more fun with this than I ever had in any Call of Duty that didn't involve zombies.

Edited by Jifremok