IGNORED

Parker Bros wanted you to call them!!

ATARIPITBULL

I love to collect ads for games made for the 2600 and today I found a good one. I was at a comic book store looking over old comics for Atari ads and I was starting to think I had them all when I found one on the back of an Issue of Iron Man #185, which shows a bathroom stall with graffiti all over it, but the graffiti is all about Parker bros games like Super Cobra, Frogge, Popeye and all the rest of there games and at the top of the door it says (For a vid time call 1-900-720-1234) and at the bottom of the page it says; Call our new video hotline. Get the word on Parker Brother's latest games @ 50 cents per call. I never knew that Parker Bros had a hotline and wonder if any of the other companys had such a thing.

:love: :D :?

You obviously forget the 1-900 revolution of the mid 80's... EVERYTHING was 1-900... "Call and talk to Robocop $0.99 a minute!", "Call and hear a joke!", "Talk to New kids on the block!"

And lets not forget Nintendo making their games so rediculously difficult to find stuff, that you had to either subscribe to Nintendo Power, or call their 1-900 number :-)

The back cover of the light gray 1983 Parker Brothers Video Games catalog shows a picture of a phone and joystick. Below this picture is "1-800-VIDKIDS" and "Call us. We speak video." Apparently Parker Brothers was willing to pay for phone calls from people that had already purchased one of their games.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday I went to a flea market and this really old guy was there with a big box full of old comic books. So I dove into it hoping to find some old Atari advertisements. Luckily I did as the comics were mostly from 1983 and 1984. He wanted $1 each for them (I wondered why because this guy won't live long enough to sell them all considering the shape they were in and the shape he looked like he was in--I figured he should best take what he could get for them in a hurry!) so I decided to go for books that had decent back covers with 2600 ads and i didn't want to burn the whole day.

I found the Parker Brothers ad mentioned above and that is a good one!

Here's a list of the other ads I ended up bringing home. Some were from the inside front, inside back, or back covers and others were printed on the comic page paper:

Solar Fox, Popeye (2 pg), Kool-Aid Man, Star Wars return of the Jedi/Death Star Battle, G.I. Joe Cobra Strike, ads with coupons to get the Kool-Aid Man game, BurgerTime, Activision Decathlon, Montezuma's Revenge, Super Cobra, Q*Bert, Spiderman, M Network for its games, Battlezone, Bump'n'Jump, Mario Bros., Frogger II, a 2-page Atarisoft ad for games for other systems, Star Wars the Arcade Game, a 1 page Atarisoft ad, ads for the Columbia Video Game Club, James Bond 007, Tutankham, Masters of the Universe Adventures of He-Man, Parker Brothers ads for Frogger & Q*Bert for different systems, Riddle of the Sphinx, Moon Patrol, Joust, Reactor, and a M Netwok ad for both the Tron Deadly Discs and Adventures of Tron.

There were also a few ads for Intellivision games and one for Power Lords for the Odyssey and CV. Also an ad to buy Pac-Man watches, and one to win free Atari 2600 games and consoles (and an Atari arcade machine) from the Revell model company.

I discovered identical ads for the same month of issue for different comics from Marvel.

I'll look for that old guy again this weekend. Hopefully he survived the week!