IGNORED

Total number of A8 units sold worldwide = ?

oky2000

On 9/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Sorry is including a previously sourced reference, but I've just quickly found some research from a guy on this forum post:

https://atari-owner.com/club/articles/atari-8-bit-units-sold.23/

I think the worldwide figure is 4million Atari 8-bit computer line computers sold between 1979 and 1992. Very low by comparrision.

Atari 2600 - Total worldwide sales of 30 million
Atari 7800 - North American is 3.77 million. Rest of world unknown but estimated to be around 1.5 million.
Atari Lynx - Worldwide sales of around 3 million. UK Sales were 1 million.
Atari 8-bit - Total worldwide sales were 4 million.
Atari ST - Total worldwide sales of 6 million. UK sales were 1.5 million.

Afaik (and Atari were well known for screwing up in this area which I won't go into as too complex) Atari lost out to the C64 in particular for Sales in the UK big time.

Uh-oh, watch out who is cited as the author of this 4-million figure in that post you provided:

--The Laird

Well, I would take his numbers with a grain of salt, to say the least.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 2

This popped up on Youtube...

With this thread  talking about units sold, thought it might offer some insight.

It lists every release of computer along with units sold.  For the 400/800 line it states ~2M units sold.  I checked the XL and XE range and the units sold is blank..... :(

• Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

I have since found out the CPC464,664,6128,CPC plus models sold 3.2-5.3.5m and that is considered "3rd place"by Europeans in the home computer wars as Apple and Acorn educational sales are excluded. 3m with 5200 console sales included would be great  A8 success IMO. The designer of the C128 says 4.5-5.0m were sold, about 100k-150k SX64 units sold and these always should be lumped into C64 units sold along with MAX Machine which is 23m or more. I am working on a video about the main 5 home micro vs VCS/Coleco/Vectrex/Intellivison/SMS & SG1000/NES & FAMICOM units sold just to show the relative scale of the console market but the NES in 86-92 was more of a poor people's champion but the Famicom sold about 30m units in Japan so even with 2 yrs of NES up to PC Engine/Amiga/ST era Nintendo would be  ahead of all others, with VCS second and VIC II/SID based machines 3rd.Next is probably Sega at 10-13m I guess. Didn't expect that.