IGNORED

Spy Vs Spy Homebrew

Would you like to see a Spy Vs Spy Atari 2600 Homebrew Game?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Spy Vs Spy Atari 2600 Homebrew Game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • What is Spy Vs Spy?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I was wondering what everyones opinion would be on a Spy Vs Spy homebrew game? For those of you who don't know Spy Vs Spy is quote Wikipedia:

Spy vs. Spy is a black and white comic strip that debuted in Mad magazine #60, dated January 1961, and was originally published by EC Comics. The strip was created by Antonio Prohías.

Quote Link

Does anyone think this would make a good Atari 2600 game? Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering what everyones opinion would be on a Spy Vs Spy homebrew game? For those of you who don't know Spy Vs Spy is quote Wikipedia:

Spy vs. Spy is a black and white comic strip that debuted in Mad magazine #60, dated January 1961, and was originally published by EC Comics. The strip was created by Antonio Prohías.

Quote Link

Does anyone think this would make a good Atari 2600 game? Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

It was an amazing game for the C64 back in the day Wouldn't know where to start on the programming aspect for the 2600. I am sure someone here could help tho.

Quote Link

It was an amazing game for the C64 back in the day Wouldn't know where to start on the programming aspect for the 2600. I am sure someone here could help tho.

Great, should i do a robotron like shoot-em up or something else? I was thinking about doing it as a robotron like shoot-em up as that would be in the spirit of spy vs spy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Primordial Ooze

The Spy Vs. Spy videogame concept was interesting the first time I heard of it, but I haven't yet seen any actual gameplay footage to make a judgment call.

Either get e.g a C64 emulator and Spy vs Spy (version 1 to 3, doesn't matter) or watch at YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2e866bEcM

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, Spy vs Spy exists for Atari 8-bit computers too.

as well as SMS, GBC, and NES.

And many other platforms...

I mentioned A8 because it's the successor of Atari VCS.

I mentioned the NES because it seems to be the most popular version (definitely not the best one, though) and the others because they are console versions (well, GBC is portable). Not sure on the successor thing, since A8 is a computer. I thought you mentioned the A8 one because the C64 one was being mentioned exclusively when the A8 ports are also well done. But yeah, that game is on a ton of platforms.

I find it interesting that the original programmer of Spy vs. Spy did the 2600 versions of Ikari Warriors and Commando.

Edited by BrianC

With "successor" I mean that Atari 800 was designed by the same people (for example Jay Miner) that designed VCS before (and Amiga then).

Hardware wise, the evolution line is Atari VCS - Atari 400/800 - Commodore Amiga.

Obviously Atari consoles successors of 2600 are 5200, 7800, XEGS and Jaguar.

BTW, Spy vs Spy exists for Atari 8-bit computers too.

as well as SMS, GBC, and NES.

And many other platforms...

I mentioned A8 because it's the successor of Atari VCS.

I mentioned the NES because it seems to be the most popular version (definitely not the best one, though) and the others because they are console versions (well, GBC is portable). Not sure on the successor thing, since A8 is a computer. I thought you mentioned the A8 one because the C64 one was being mentioned exclusively when the A8 ports are also well done. But yeah, that game is on a ton of platforms.

I find it interesting that the original programmer of Spy vs. Spy did the 2600 versions of Ikari Warriors and Commando.

I think Atari 800XL version was very popular too, not sure if NES version is from 1984 too.

http://www.firststarsoftware.com/spyvsspy.htm

I think Atari 800XL version was very popular too, not sure if NES version is from 1984 too.

http://www.firststarsoftware.com/spyvsspy.htm

I checked the dates. The JP Famicom version came out in 1986, the US one in 1988, and the EU one in 1990. 1984 was before the NES came to US or EU, though. I just know that some people I talked to heard of the NES one, but didn't know about other versions (next time one of my friends that likes games comes over, I plan to show off the A8 version).

I don't know the sales. It just seemed that C64 was most popular of the computer versions, going by what I heard. Wouldn't be surprised of the A8 one was popular, since it is one of the better ones, though.

Bummer, I just noticed this and saw there was an XBOX release, and the bummer is, it is not on the XBOX 360 Compatability list!

It's an updated version. It has a classic mode, but it still looks a bit different and lacks the original.