IGNORED

Help me test Dragon's Lair ?

I'm having trouble with part of the hackers intro to ReadySofts Dragon's Lair.

On both of my machines that have RF modulators the intro locks up. 520STM(1meg), and a 1040STFM.

I also have two STf computers with no modulator. The intro plays fine on both of these.

Long story short, I've swapped all the chips drives and whatever else you can think of between the machines.

Always will it lock up on the M machines.

When you start your ST with the disk in the drive it will boot to a desktop and the PRG file is right there.

Double click it will launch the game. 1st thing that happens is music starts and the hackers "brag" screen pops up.

The machine will lockup with some bombs and the music is stuck playing the tone it was playing when locked.

I was wondering if anyone with a NTSC 1040STfm can make disk one of the set and boot it up and give it a try.

The files are located at http://www.climatics.com/downloads.php click, SORTED, GAMES, D, DRAGONS LAIR.

Its the 1st file listed Dragons Lair - Atari Legend - Disk 1.zip I'd post it here, but not sure if it is OK.

I can't figure out why the game starts fine on both my 1040 STf computers but locks up on my 520 STM and 1040 STFM.

It would be great if someone with a NTSC M ST could give it a try and let me know.

BUMP.

If someone could use floimg and make disk 1 from this game and boot it up on a NTSC M computer and let me know what happens I would really appreciate it.

It make no sense at all that the modulator should make a difference, yet I have 2 that lock up with this.

And 2 non M machines that work just fine with this.

Again, it is not the game itself its the crackers intro screen that plays music moves some text around, giving credits for breaking the copy protection.

If you mash space a bunch of times after launching the PRG, it will quickly skips this screen and the game plays fine.

It works an my 4MB STE with modulator. But it is a PAL machine. What are the TOS versions? Maybe the M STs have TOS 1.4 while the M-less version has TOS 1.2 and is that the problem.

It would be strange if the problem lies in the modulator. That is invisible to the system.

Robert

It works an my 4MB STE with modulator. But it is a PAL machine. What are the TOS versions? Maybe the M STs have TOS 1.4 while the M-less version has TOS 1.2 and is that the problem.

It would be strange if the problem lies in the modulator. That is invisible to the system.

Robert

Hi Robert. All 4 machines have TOS 1.0. I even swapped the 6 chips from a STf to the STfm just for the hell of it and it made no difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Solved this problem! I sat down and looked at all my working hardware and tried to figure out what I was doing wrong swapping chips between these ST computers....

Finally I realized I had been swapping the same C025915-38 between machines. I replaced it with a CO25915-38A and now it works great.

Dragons Lair starts up and the Atari Legends screen comes up and the wavy animated background does its thing and works great!

Super happy right now........

Gonna copy and paste this over at atari-forum.com where I also posted about this problem.

Finally I realized I had been swapping the same C025915-38 between machines. I replaced it with a CO25915-38A and now it works great.

For those who wonder what chip this is, the CO25915-38 is the GLUE chip.

I found a small article in Page 6 that states that with GLUE chips other than C025915-38, the screen is too far to the right. Maybe this has something to do with it.

The GLUE determines when the shifter should start and stop displaying pixels.

Robert

I found a small article in Page 6 that states that with GLUE chips other than C025915-38, the screen is too far to the right. Maybe this has something to do with it.

The GLUE determines when the shifter should start and stop displaying pixels.

I'm not sure that Page 6 article makes much sense, and I doubt that the issue here is related to video timing in anyway. I suspect it is more likely a difference in exactly which addresses produce a Bus Error, see recent Paulo Simoes posts in Atari-forum. Some STe only registers are allowed (ignored, of course) by certain GLUE revisions, but produce a bus error in others.