IGNORED

Dismantle a 2600 cart

Jr. Pac

I have a really beat up copy of Street Racer for the 2600, and I need to clean it, alot. Does anyone know how to take the cart apart? I already have all of the labels safely off.

After you take the screw out, you need to pry one half outward on the side to release the catches. Needing donor carts by chance? ;)

Ugh! More details please? I am pushing with all ny might on the back side to the side to get it apart.

Al made a post a few years ago that details how to open an Atari cart.

Yep:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/25847-how-do-you-open-up-a-2600-cart/page__p__287508#entry287508

First, take the screw out. Then hold the cartridge with both hands so the back of the cartridge faces your left palm and the label side faces your right palm. The open end of the cartridge should face away from you, with the end label towards you. Then place the fingertips of your right hand along the bottom edge of the right half of the cartridge (relative to you).

Now, use the heel of your left hand to push the left cartridge shell away from you, and use the fingers on your right hand to push the right half of the cartridge shell towards you. While doing this, pull the two cartridge halves apart along the edge where your fingers are.

Basically by doing this you are pushing a row of three tabs on the cart away from one edge of the cartridge, and it should come apart easily. 95% of carts come apart with little effort when you get this down pat. Also, you can move the fingers on your right hand along the edge of the cart so they are in a different position relative to the tabs if you can't get the cart open on the first try. And, make sure that the dust dover isn't "stuck", as this can also cause the cart to not come apart easily. :)

..Al

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82578-easiest-way-to-open-2600-carts/page__p__1007540#entry1007540

I think I've described this before somewhere in the forum, but I'll describe it again here. After some practice, opening 2600 carts will become second nature. First, you obviously need to remove the screw, hiding under the label. That's the easy part. There are six tabs holding the two halves of the cartridge shell together, three running against each of the long edges. In order to get the cartridge apart, you need to apply pressure along one edge of one half, which will release the tabs allowing you to pull the cart apart.

Using both hands, hold the cartridge with the dust cover facing up towards your face. Place the fingertips of your left hand along the bottom half of the cart facing away from you, and your right fingertips along the top (label) edge of the cart facing away from you. Then use the palm of your left hand (near your wrist) to push the bottom half of the cart away from you, while at the same time using your fingertips on your right hand to push the top half of the cart towards you. This will usually release the tabs and you can then "pivot" the cart open. If it doesn't work at first, trying moving your right fingertips to different positions along the top half of the shell.

Just takes a little bit of practice. :)

..Al