IGNORED

CebusCapucinis' eBay Auctions

Cebus Capucinis

Figure I'll condense all my eBay auctions into one thread and save space, time, and energy! :) This thread will change based on what I currently have listed on eBay. NOTE: These items are on eBay but if you're interested in a trade or private sale through AA feel free to PM me. I'm willing to wheel and deal! It's going to be random stuff mostly with some 2600/7800/whoknowswhatelse thrown in there.

Current auctions:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2905936726651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290593672665&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] Original Atari 260 ST mainboard design schematic

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I wanted to add a note that I know reserve auctions really turn off buyers, but I felt it was necessary to put them on the two lamps I have up for auction. I will assure you that the reserve is a RIDICULOUSLY low price (I won't give it away too much, but suffice it to say $50 is too high of a guess ;) ).

• Like 1

I'm surprised there weren't more bids on the lamps... I didn't think I'd win with my bid, but I also thought the other guy would be outbid at the last minute...

Sunday's always a crappy time to try to sell anything. I should have timed my auctions better, which is my own fault. I thought my board games would go for more, as well.....oh well, such is eBay! Even the 99 cent sale will go out of course because I honor my bids!

You win some you lose some. Such is life! :) I was a little surprised about the Hulk Hogan game, but it's all good in the grand scheme of things. As stated when you start it at .99 and let it roll, you have to be prepared for it to sell at minimum bid and honor it. :)

• Like 1

I am surprised by all your auctions end prices (or lack there of). I thought your board games would have generated a lot more interest. I wish I would have bid on them. I did not think I had a chance to win them.

Cebus should have included a free ear of CORN with every item! :)

Seriously though, I have seen members of AA end their ebay auctions with dismal closing bids lately. I guess it's just a sign of the times...

The bummer thing about the eBay red lamp auction was that I was going to use it as a price gauge to figure out how much the public is willing to pay (past my reasonable reserve that only covered materials, if even that) and make a run of them in advance and sell 'em on the site for whatever that price was.

It appears people aren't even willing to pay over $15 for one, sadly. :|

The bummer thing about the eBay red lamp auction was that I was going to use it as a price gauge to figure out how much the public is willing to pay (past my reasonable reserve that only covered materials, if even that) and make a run of them in advance and sell 'em on the site for whatever that price was.

It appears people aren't even willing to pay over $15 for one, sadly. :|

Sorry, I'm cheap.... And it's the shipping that hurts too.... I know you said you could likely ship for less then the 30, but I was afraid you actually would end up paying more and possibly not honor the $30 because of the shipping involved (especially with my location, it happens ALL THE TIME)....

Is there maybe some way you can ship them some assembly required and have the cost be less on the shipping (maybe getting them to fit in a flat rate box.... I could see how that would be a pain with something like the c64 (the stack of floppies could be a pain), but the 2600 Jr might work.....

I wasn't really viewing it as paying $15, but more paying $45.....

Chris

It's not possible, unfortunately -- the wiring goes through the cart and through the lamp fixture itself. The only part that can get broken down is the lamp fixture itself, and that has to be assembled through the cartridge at the same time as wiring being completed. If the assembly is not bolted completely properly from the moment it is assembled, it is likely the lamp fixture will not stay solid on the console itself.

The console is significantly lighter, and it would have to go in 2 boxes -- 1 for the shade and 1 for the lamp. The shade's shipping has proven to be completely negligible, as it's under 1lb weight, so say that goes for $5-$10 depending on what I do. The full 6-switch 2600's I've sent have gone for between $35-$65 shipping depending on the options I use. I refuse to ship USPS on these, as there's no guarantee at ALL with a one of a kind item such as this of no damage. Insurance claims for this via USPS would be negligible at best and even if they sided with the buyer/seller, the USPS would require the original item. So in other words, no one-of-a-kind custom made item for anyone, and we're back at square 1 no matter who I'm buying from.

UPS Pack & Ship Promise is entirely different. They have to pack the items themselves, so I pay a bit more for their supplies, but the catch is that since they packed it themselves, they will refund the difference no questions asked, all I have to do is provide an invoice, which is easy enough to do. I have had assurances from multiple UPS employees that if anything were to go wrong in the shipping, they wouldn't even ask for the item, just to provide an invoice and they'll refund. There wouldn't be any sort of inquiry or form or follow-up I'd have to do at all since I choose that option, I can just go to a UPS store and say "Guess what, my item is damaged" and fill out a refund form and they'll refund it then and there.

Also to address the separate concern, when I eBay something and I put in shipping, what it says is what it goes for as far as I'm concerned. If I have to eat my entire sales price on shipping an item because I misrepresented the shipping cost to a buyer, I'll do it. Honestly I've sold items for a penny before with free shipping, because unlike a number of eBay sellers that are shady I stick by my auctions 100%. If I let it roll at a penny, it goes for a penny, no questions asked.

On the flip side of the coin, I almost always refund the difference in shipping if there's enough left over. If it's the $1 neighborhood I might end up keeping it for 'supplies' just because it's not worth it to either buyer or seller to let PayPal have some fees back on that, but if it's a significant amount (and by significant I mean more than $1.50), I refund it to the buyer.

Ah well, to be honest I don't think selling these damn things is worth it at all. I probably will abandon the project. As I've seen from several other Atari non-homebrew project maker threads on here, it just isn't worth the hassle to create something with the intent of selling if it's either A) not going to sell, or B ) even if it does sell, it's not for a price that's anything near reasonable for the effort, work, and time put into creating it.

I have a number of other projects I'll likely start working on, but they probably will end up being nothing other than a 'here's the latest one I made' thread without sales.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset or butt-hurt or anything at all about it, I do it because it's fun and at least for the first run of them it was a nice way to make a couple bucks to get me to CGE. :) It's just the way things are right now with the economy, etc. -- can't be helped. I'm also not trying to be insulting or anything to any members when I say this, so nobody please take this the wrong way, but it does seem that garage sales, thrift stores, and $0.50 purchases seem to make classic gamers a rather penny-pinching bunch. I've done 3 major projects so far and only 1 of them was a success, and even then it was a "prototype" success as now I know I could have done so much better on the first run. Cart magnets were a complete and utter failure and the Lampodore and Jr. lamps can now be considered a failure.

• Like 1

I was afraid that was the direction you were going in....

I've kinda understood from the beginning it'd be a miracle to get one in a price point that I didn't have to beg the wife to spend...

Based on your reputation I figured you'd probably eat the shipping too, but if it was too outrageous I didn't want to just leave you stuck with it considering this wasn't just a purely business transaction, it was a labor of love on your part...

I can always dream of making one myself one day I suppose....

At any rate I can't wait to see what other goodies you come up with. Keep sharing, you do awesome work.

I'll keep making stuff, it just won't be for commercial intent. :) I love tinkering with consoles and repurposing dead 2600s in innovative and creative ways. I'm not upset or mad or bothered by the situation at all, because I don't do it with the intent to make money. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sunday's always a crappy time to try to sell anything. I should have timed my auctions better, which is my own fault. I thought my board games would go for more, as well.....oh well, such is eBay! Even the 99 cent sale will go out of course because I honor my bids!

Summer seems to be a bad time for me. Sunday works out good usually, but I schedule the auctions to end around 6:30 Pacific / 9:30 eastern. The rest of my auctions ended lowball, but my Bubble Bobble 2 looks like it is at a good price already with 3 hours to go. And I need every cent I can get. Too bad I spent $15 I didn't have earlier today on another auction. :x :x :x

I've done 3 major projects so far and only 1 of them was a success, and even then it was a "prototype" success as now I know I could have done so much better on the first run. Cart magnets were a complete and utter failure and the Lampodore and Jr. lamps can now be considered a failure.

Most great artists go to their grave feeling they were a failure. Only after they are in they ground does the public realize their genius. I am sure that the fact that a few hundred broke people on AtariAge think your work is awesome doesn't help much, but it is better than a kick to your gentleman vegetables. I think your lamps are the shiz!

I've done 3 major projects so far and only 1 of them was a success, and even then it was a "prototype" success as now I know I could have done so much better on the first run. Cart magnets were a complete and utter failure and the Lampodore and Jr. lamps can now be considered a failure.

Most great artists go to their grave feeling they were a failure. Only after they are in they ground does the public realize their genius. I am sure that the fact that a few hundred broke people on AtariAge think your work is awesome doesn't help much, but it is better than a kick to your gentleman vegetables. I think your lamps are the shiz!

Gosh, did you buy one Chuck?