IGNORED

Jag CD won't spin

davidcalgary29

Oy, vey! My long-awaited Jag CD unit arrived yesterday...apparently broken. The unit is in fine cosmetic condition, but will not load CDs. A blinking question mark pops up every time I try to load a title (after some initial "whirring" and "clicking" sounds). Any suggestions for repairing this thing?

Oy, vey! My long-awaited Jag CD unit arrived yesterday...apparently broken. The unit is in fine cosmetic condition, but will not load CDs. A blinking question mark pops up every time I try to load a title (after some initial "whirring" and "clicking" sounds). Any suggestions for repairing this thing?

Does the spindle turn freely? If not it's probably jammed. This is a common problem. You need to pry up on it with a thin screwdriver or knife and it will "pop" up a millimeter or so and then spin freely.

If that is not it then you have worse problems.

I had the samething my cd-player came with the boat from the US and this kind of shipping is not very good for a cd-player but did save me a lot of money... :)

But when I opened it and wanted to boot a game it did nothing.. :sad:

I found out that the problem was that the laser was stuck. I gently moved the laser a little to the outside and turned back on the Jag.

The I started and did see the laser was re-positioning and from that time my JAG reads all the CD's without problems. Maybe the laser got in this position due to transportation...

Mine does work again... :P

Maybe it would help but be carefull... not to damage the CD-player...

Please please please be very careful when opening the JagCD (if you decide to do this) so you know exactly how everything was fitted together when you first got it. It took me nearly an hour to get the case shut after I opened it to see if my BIOS was socketed one day and probably wasn't too good for my blood pressure...having just paid £90 for it...;)

Take special care with the little plastic rod that activates the 'door closed' switch on the inside, it's a right bastard to get fitted properly. Then again, maybe I was just being incompetent ;-)

If you still have problems, you might be lucky if you just get it mostly together. Mine had a 'lump' at the back of the case where one of the clips didn't quite match up, but after a couple of months screwed together it popped back into place :)

Hope that helps :)

Stone

Please please please be very careful when opening the JagCD (if you decide to do this) so you know exactly how everything was fitted together when you first got it. It took me nearly an hour to get the case shut after I opened it to see if my BIOS was socketed one day and probably wasn't too good for my blood pressure...having just paid £90 for it...;)

Take special care with the little plastic rod that activates the 'door closed' switch on the inside, it's a right bastard to get fitted properly. Then again, maybe I was just being incompetent ;-)

If you still have problems, you might be lucky if you just get it mostly together. Mine had a 'lump' at the back of the case where one of the clips didn't quite match up, but after a couple of months screwed together it popped back into place :)

Hope that helps :)

Stone

I never had any problems with the door switch plastic pin. I think as long as you keep the unit upside-down when you open it that there's no problem. Just remember there is a spring on that pin and keep an eye on it when you open the unit so it doesn't pop out and fly around the room.

I never had any problems with the door switch plastic pin. I think as long as you keep the unit upside-down when you open it that there's no problem. Just remember there is a spring on that pin and keep an eye on it when you open the unit so it doesn't pop out and fly around the room.

I found that opening it right way up with the door open was fine. The door sensor pin doesn't fly off or anything, just sits there waiting to be annoying when you put it back together. But even that is easy if you get the pin in the hole first BEFORE trying to line up the top part of the case. Once thats in it should all fit together nicely.

I found that opening it right way up with the door open was fine.  The door sensor pin doesn't fly off or anything, just sits there waiting to be annoying when you put it back together.  But even that is easy if you get the pin in the hole first BEFORE trying to line up the top part of the case.  Once thats in it should all fit together nicely.

Well, I'm just clumsy then ;-)

Stone

I found that opening it right way up with the door open was fine.  The door sensor pin doesn't fly off or anything, just sits there waiting to be annoying when you put it back together.  But even that is easy if you get the pin in the hole first BEFORE trying to line up the top part of the case.  Once thats in it should all fit together nicely.

Well, I'm just clumsy then ;-)

Stone

I think if you put the pin in place with the thing upside down that it all goes together quite easily. Remember, they things had to be made rapidly on an assembly line so they design them with an easy way to assemble them. It might not be obvious but there HAS to be a quick and easy way to put them together so they can be made fast.

My Jag CD is now working perfectly -- thanks to Linkovitch's excellent repair guide! -- and I spend last night "enjoying" Myst on my Jag.

The problem turned out to be a stuck platter. I rectified this by sticking a thin-bladed knife underneath it and "working it" until it moved freely on the...shaft? I then re-assembled the unit and found that, much to my surprise, it worked! Again, many thanks for help with my fix. :)

Bluevoodu, I won the unit from "BatteryMegasource" in an auction. Shipping was fast, and the unit was packed quite well; it just didn't work.

Then again, the seller didn't promise that it would be in working condition when I bought it. I think the advert stated that it was working "three months ago"!

My Jag CD is now working perfectly -- thanks to Linkovitch's excellent repair guide! -- and I spend last night "enjoying" Myst on my Jag.

The problem turned out to be a stuck platter. I rectified this by sticking a thin-bladed knife underneath it and "working it" until it moved freely on the...shaft? I then re-assembled the unit and found that, much to my surprise, it worked! Again, many thanks for help with my fix.  :)  

Bluevoodu, I won the unit from "BatteryMegasource" in an auction. Shipping was fast, and the unit was packed quite well; it just didn't work.  

Then again, the seller didn't promise that it would be in working condition when I bought it. I think the advert stated that it was working "three months ago"!

I'm happy that you finally got your Jag CD repaired; also, I bought from Batterymegasource Jag CD last november. Auction ended at a good price and the player was ok :)

The problem turned out to be a stuck platter. I rectified this by sticking a thin-bladed knife underneath it and "working it" until it moved freely on the...shaft? I then re-assembled the unit and found that, much to my surprise, it worked! Again, many thanks for help with my fix.  :)  

I told you all you had to do was pry up on that sucker and it would turn free. That's the frirst thing I suggested. :-)

Also, be very leery of people on ebay who say things like "It was working X weeks ago" or "I don't have a power supply to test it but it used to work". All these type of statements are basically saying that they won't guarantee it will work and you're buying it "as is". Sometimes they might be telling the truth, but most of the time the seller is covering his @$$ because it's broken and wants to unload it on you.

Yes, credit where credit's due: thank you, Thunderbird!

I had a feeling that I'd be in for some trouble when I purchased the unit with that disclaimer, but what could I do? I've never seen a working Jag CD unit for sale in Alberta -- let alone Western Canada -- and I had to take the risk. I'm just glad it worked out -- this time! ;)

Yes, credit where credit's due: thank you, Thunderbird!

I had a feeling that I'd be in for some trouble when I purchased the unit with that disclaimer, but what could I do? I've never seen a working Jag CD unit for sale in Alberta -- let alone Western Canada -- and I had to take the risk. I'm just glad it worked out -- this time!  ;)

I've noticed that many people avoid bidding on Jag stuff that's marked as "worked last month". It's good sometimes because I got a bunch of carts in a batch that nobody bid on because of that. Heh heh heh. You can get good deals. Some of the carts didn't work, but I wanted them so I could have the shells.