IGNORED

Star Raiders Dual (anyone heard of this title?)

ACML

All those BBS doors..! But yes, there was a Battleship game, I remember playing it on the Apple II, and hearing that it was available on the 400/800. And I had modified a few of the Beagle Brothers text games to work over the modem. TextTrain was one of them.

The fact that Doom could be played null-modem was nothing new. Games were written in 1978 that did this.

For those of you interested in emulating virtual com ports (null-modem style), on the PC, get com0com. And with the companion package, com2tcp, you can set up a null modem over tcp/ip. But I haven't gotten the tcp/ip module to work yet, just the COM5-COM6 fake ports.

Now..

Star Raiders has been a constant source of good gaming back then, and today. Currently the most trouble-free way to add a new dimension to Star Raiders and make it a two-player game is to have a PILOT that controls direction and firing, while a NAVIGATOR controls everything else and plots a plan of attack. We also did Strip Star Raiders. With special activities assigned to Hyperspace jumps, Starbase surround, end of game, and sector clearing.

Amusingly James 'AVGN' Rolfe and his pal just did a video that featured 'Combat' quite heavily:

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/07/25/james-mike-play-2600-classics-continued/

He's a bit of an acquired taste and you need to be pretty thick-skinned when it comes to his... colourful... language and style. Personally that doesn't bother me though and I REALLY like his stuff on vintage hardware - the NES/SNES based videos I can take or leave.

Wow! I've never heard of that one. 1981 would most likely beat this adaptation of Star Raiders. Anyone know of any others? You learn something everyday!

According to this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_online_games

Mazewar in 1973, if "connecting two IMLAC computers with serial cables" means "null modem", and I think it probably does.