IGNORED

Atari 5200 Score Submissions

VectorGamer

The 5200 Retroboards are an electronic scoreboard with retro submission guidelines. Unlike other scoreboards where you are required to mail a VHS recording, the 5200 Retroboards require only a photo along with player information for score verification.

This is not a tournament - this is an electronic scoreboard with no submission deadlines. It is a contest that never ends.

Game Selection

In order to curb cheating, several considerations must be made in game selection:

First of all, can the score easily be rolled? If so, that game should not be considered.

Secondly, is it possible to play the game on an easier skill level that will allow the player to falsify his or her scores?

Lastly, if the game is set on the easiest level, is the game too easy? For example, the "Teddy Bear" settings on some VCS games.

Any game that ends at a predetermined score (e.g. Surround) will not be considered.

Rules

Each game will have the documented settings to be used.

Games are to be played on hardware and not emulation. This is a retro gaming site, afterall.

Score Submissions

Submissions for Atari 5200 scores should be posted in the appropriate game thread in the 5200 Retroboards forum.

Scores should not be submitted for games that do not have a thread. Game requests should be posted to The Retroboards (this forum) for consideration.

In your topic post for the score submission, submit the following information:

Score

First & Last Name [real name - not your forum nickname (see more on names below)]. I recommend just inserting this information in your forum signature.

Photos of the entire game screen attached to your post.

Regarding names: If you truly prefer to remain anonymous, simply make up a name that is not "racy" (e.g. Hugh G. Rection) or vanilla (e.g. John Doe, John Smith etc)...in short, don't be "Captain Obvious" about it (e.g. using names like "Barrack Obama" or "Merv Griffin"). The scores and player names will be published in the charts section of Retrocade Magazine. Violators will have their posts deleted.

Submissions must meet these guidelines for the score to be recognized.

The Retroboards are located at the Retrocade Magazine Forums

Attached is the current games being tracked with more to come...

post-22552-0-84993200-1310052389_thumb.jpg

Hooked you up with a few. ;) I probably play 5200 more than any other Atari system. Maybe a few of our guys'll join in. :ponder:

Yeah, well wait until gamers see how kick ass this magazine is when it's released later this year...then they'll be signing up in droves to take your scores down!

If the dozen or so contributors that have volunteered deliver what they say they're going to deliver, I have no reason not to believe that this will be the best classic gaming magazine to come along in a long time...

Gotta have a target or yer shootin' blind. I can provide a good one most of the time. :)

I'm more of an arcade guy, but in the console area I'm OK at ColecoVision titles. I think I could put up some OK scores on the 5200 like Missile Command and (maybe) Galaxian.

Newest game(arrival wise) in our arcade last I played one was Gauntlet. I spent a lot of quarters on Double Dragon, Xenophobe, Rampage, Black Tiger, Galaga, Millipede, Altered Beast, Vigilante, Golden Axe, and Gauntlet back then.

Edited by zylon

• 3 weeks later...

How about Vanguard?

I'd have to look into it. In the future post those requests to the Retroboards which will send me a red flag

Will do! :)

Now I remember - Vanguard wasn't included because it allows Continues.

It can be played, but only via live stream/YouTube

Ohhh I see...

Do continues reset the score though? Nevertheless it's probably a slippery slope.

If it resets the score to zero, it still does not guarantee a level playing field. For example, some games will give you more points the further you progress into the game.

I am interested in posting some scores on these boards - I really enjoy sharing and comparing scores with other players… I post scores in the shoot em up community usually, but there is no interest over there for the 'ancient' games… I hope to have some scores posted by the weekend

I am interested in posting some scores on these boards - I really enjoy sharing and comparing scores with other players… I post scores in the shoot em up community usually, but there is no interest over there for the 'ancient' games… I hope to have some scores posted by the weekend

Sweet! Welcome aboard