IGNORED

Could the JAG do this?

TXG/MNX

Hi,

I wonder if the JAG with CD (when programmed right ofcourse) could do:

- View KODAK photo CD's

- Play MP3 files with use of the DSP, just like the Falon030

- Play movies other then CINEPAK.

The Jaguar has some powerfull chips, databus runs at 100Mhz and has a DSP. I have seen things on the FALCON030 that I would think the JAG can do aswell or am I wrong about this?

I don't see why the Jag couldn't do all three... the programming however would probably be a bitch for just those small things though...

I find it strange that they could barely emulate the 2600 right for the Jaguar... perhaps just some serious buggs needed tweaking and worked out?

but to reply to those....

1..Who really uses Kodak CD's? I've never ever used one... (ok, maybe once, but on a mac and the quality sucked (1994)

2.. Why? Save yourself the hassle and buy a $29 Dreamcast and download/burn a free MP3 player. (or use your Falcon, PC, Mac, etc. etc. real mp3 player, etc. etc)

3.. Possibly MPEG1? ...then again, they were working on that MPEG1 cart...

Dreamcast does it nicely... ;-)

If anything I want to see some SWEET games for the Jag... something that will make me take it off the shelf and play it more often! and at a nice price point ($40 sounds reasonable) and the only way I think that will happen is NOT for people to create NEW games, but to port low-distributed yet FUN games for older pc's/amiga's etc.

The library of games (at least for me) is pretty much baked!

I've spent more time playing Jaguar games then I have for any other system at anytime!

Clint Thompson

:P

Hmm mp3 playing on the JAG is nice, I also use it alot as normal CD player.

I just want to use the JAG also for non-gaming...

Secondly I think the biggest problem is that the JAG doesn't support a normal format like ISO9660 or other format that makes it very easy to create CD's

Ofcourse a nice emulator for the JAG would be cool but I have seen that programming for the JAG is pretty hard, and there is almost no option to program in 'C', PASCAL or other language then ML.

So a lot of people don't program the JAG. 'C' would be cool for porting software from other systems.

Hi!

- View KODAK photo CD's

I think that jpeg viewer could be more useful. The Kodak PhotoCD is not so used at these days.

C' would be cool for porting software from other systems.

I have read somewhere that it is possible to program Jaguar with gcc. Did somebody try this?

Hi!

- View KODAK photo CD's

I think that jpeg viewer could be more useful. The Kodak PhotoCD is not so used at these days.

C' would be cool for porting software from other systems.

I have read somewhere that it is possible to program Jaguar with gcc. Did somebody try this?

Okay JPEG viewing would also be nice, to view all my photo's of Atari party's on my JAG on the big tv...

GCC was possible but it really s@#*^@ I heard, but read something about PURE C but I don't have info about that...

Hmm mp3 playing on the JAG is nice, I also use it alot as normal CD player.

I just want to use the JAG also for non-gaming...

Secondly I think the biggest problem is that the JAG doesn't support a normal format like ISO9660 or other format that makes it very easy to create CD's

Ofcourse a nice emulator for the JAG would be cool but I have seen that programming for the JAG is pretty hard, and there is almost no option to program in 'C', PASCAL or other language then ML.

So a lot of people don't program the JAG. 'C' would be cool for porting software from other systems.

There is nothing preventing the Jag from reading ISO9660 CD's other than the fact that you have not written the driver code for the CD unit yet. Once you do that, you can read any ISO9660 CD you wish.

Programming the ISO9660 would not be that hard but you need to directly talk to the hardware of the CD-rom player I think or is there another way and bypass the cd-rom rom completly...

There's got to be a way to access the CD directly, just down in the BIOS level. I think we need to have Glenn locate the memory map of the CD ROM drive so we know what the registers do and how to speak to the hardware directly. C'mon Glenn! Dig through that Atari Paperwork and give us a miracle!

Yes that would really be cool I think...

Even the Atari 8-bit has software to read ISO9660 cd's written in less then 5kB so the JAG with 2Mb would not have a problem with it...

Well that depends on what the interface spftware to to CD drive is doing on the 8-bit. If the interface device is doing all the work already then it's not a big deal.

Just a thought: did the Saturn ever have any kind of demoscene? As the first home console to support ISO9660 natively I guess it would seem more attractive to developers...

Someone creating an ISO9660 driver and releasing the source would rock though...imagine being able to burn CDs of new levels, artwork, whatever at home ;-)

Stone

Just a thought: did the Saturn ever have any kind of demoscene? As the first home console to support ISO9660 natively I guess it would seem more attractive to developers...

Someone creating an ISO9660 driver and releasing the source would rock though...imagine being able to burn CDs of new levels, artwork, whatever at home ;-)

Stone

The Saturn has the homor of being the second most hacked system out there. The first one being the Dreamcast. LOL!

The Saturn has the homor of being the second most hacked system out there.

See, my instincts were correct ;-)

I just never heard anything about it...funny what you miss out on :)

Mate of mine used to translate SNES RPGs...I always thought he was mad :)

Stone

I think these systems have just as many basement developers as the Jag!

It would be awesome if someone made an MP3 player for the Jaguar with VLM type functionality.  

I do have a Dreamcast as well, but I've never been able to successfully make an MP3 CD that the dreamcast could read.

Mark R

You can't just plop an MP3 cd into the DC and expect it to play! You have to have the hardware/software like the stuff on DC hacking sites or like the DeamMovie player I have that plays both VCD and MP3 and both are excellent quality!