IGNORED

Starcat Developments Jaguar Library Code

TXG/MNX

Hi,

I got the Starcat Developments Jaguar Library Code and I am gonna try to code something for the Jaguar. Would be great to find more libs like this on the internet.

This is very usefull information for beginners.

Are there also some game engines free for download beginners can use or download to see how things can be done or work?

http://www.atari-jaguar64.de/prog_info/library/

There used to be a couple of demos available on Starcat's site for beginners to pick apart and gain basic experience (how the object list works, how to read the pads etc) but I think they may only be on his new dev CD now. Have a look. Also check the original BJL distribution, there's one about a meg in size which contains loads of sample code, with some ready-built demos to play with (the firedemo is nice...). Seems to have been made up on an Atari computer though, so you may not be able to compile some of them. Ah well :)

Have a look around, if not mail me and I'll send you some of my source collection :)

Stone

I just ordered the cd from starcat so I will take a look at it. I begin to like the JAG more and more and more...

I really would love to code something simple for the Jag in the future...

It's pretty easy to take one of the demos and just write a little game around it. Look at the Sinister Asteroids game. They did that in just a few days to learn to program the Jag.

I just ordered the cd from starcat so I will take a look at it. I begin to like the JAG more and more and more...

It's pretty easy to take one of the demos and just write a little game around it. Look at the Sinister Asteroids game. They did that in just a few days to learn to program the Jag.

Hmm that's a very good tip... thank you...

Having an experience with 68000s programming would help, even if most of the work are done by Jag custom chip?

Having an experience with 68000s programming would help, even if most of the work are done by Jag custom chip?

You could actually create an entire game with no knowledge of how the custom chips work, using those libraries...just use the provided routines for object-list building and pad-reading, add a little bit of logic and you'd be away :)

To be fair, there's not a lot of advanced stuff you can do without learning the custom chips (no fast 3D using 68K only!) but for simple stuff it's fine.

Stone

You could actually create an entire game with no knowledge of how the custom chips work, using those libraries...just use the provided routines for object-list building and pad-reading, add a little bit of logic and you'd be away :)

To be fair, there's not a lot of advanced stuff you can do without learning the custom chips (no fast 3D using 68K only!) but for simple stuff it's fine.

Stone

Yes, too many people are intimidated by the custom chips... if you start with a sample program that just sets up the video and does the basic jusk, you can treat the console like a plain old bitmapped graphics display like the ST or Amiga, etc.

Stone

Yes, too many people are intimidated by the custom chips... if you start with a sample program that just sets up the video and does the basic jusk, you can treat the console like a plain old bitmapped graphics display like the ST or Amiga, etc.

Ok, got it. And, the Jaguar developer's manual explain how to work with custom chips, right?

Stone

Ok, got it. And, the Jaguar developer's manual explain how to work with custom chips, right?

If someone gives you code for drawing screens and making sprites you can make a game without ever knowing the developer manual. It's good to read it but the game could be written without it. There were many underground developer who made games back before the docs were made public. It shows it can be done.

If someone gives you code for drawing screens and making sprites you can make a game without ever knowing the developer manual. It's good to read it but the game could be written without it. There were many underground developer who made games back before the docs were made public. It shows it can be done.

Thanks T-Bird, I think I will buy the CD from Starcat. Seems there is lot of useful/interesting things.

Could I ask you what platform did you use for programming Battlesphere? PC?

Looking at the control panel of the "developer" starship in Battlesphere:G, it looks like they used a Falcon. Am I wrong?

Happy new year everybody.

Coding started on the Falcon030 but moved to Linux because the F030 couldn't keep up speed-wise. Plus X-Windows did Multitasking, so editing while compiling was possible on Linux.

All the 3D Art was done using InShape on my F030.