IGNORED

Problems with some programs on cassette tape

ti99iuc

Hi guys,

today i write to you becouse maybe someone can halp me with any suggestions.

i'm converting some cassette tape programs to disk... so i load the program with my ti99 and my cassette recorder and after i save the program loaded on my floppy disk.

well, i have an error on some programs in different cassette...

the error is not in the data loading but always after the first long whistle...

for example in one cassette all programm load ok except for two with the same error after the whistle, and in another cassette there are three with this error.

anyone know how solve this problem ?

thankyou,

Cix ;)

Is it possible that the files you are trying to load are not TI BASIC files? Perhaps they are Mini Mem binary files (for example).

Hi Willsy ;)

no i am sure the programs are in TI BASIC or EX.BASIC

also i know the tibasic or extend basic sounds... when the programs are in MM the sound is different i know.

one for exemple is a non original french cassette tape and there is a pacman version in french i would want save :D

You may have a tape that contains a program that must be run from the E/A module option 5. I have a copy of Tombstone City on tape and I can run it by entering CS1.A under Run Program File. It does not really matter what is after CS1. as long as there is something. I always use A. My Tombstone City tape consists of 2 cassette files. You follow cassette instructions except do not rewind when loading the second file.

I have been trying to remember how I created this tape in the first place. Seems to me that there a couple of programs around to permit saving from disk to tape. ISTR the McGoverns had one called CASSTRAN and someone in Germany posted the other to a TI group years ago. I will try and find either one of these programs to confirm that is how I created the Tombstone City tape. I think that one or both programs allowed copying in either direction.

Jacques

CASSRANS together with CASSLOAD are on Lima disk 0080b.dsk that can be found on the wht site under usergroups/lima.

Jacques

Edited by jacquesg

You may have a tape that contains a program that must be run from the E/A module option 5. I have a copy of Tombstone City on tape and I can run it by entering CS1.A under Run Program File. It does not really matter what is after CS1. as long as there is something. I always use A. My Tombstone City tape consists of 2 cassette files. You follow cassette instructions except do not rewind when loading the second file.

I have been trying to remember how I created this tape in the first place. Seems to me that there a couple of programs around to permit saving from disk to tape. ISTR the McGoverns had one called CASSTRAN and someone in Germany posted the other to a TI group years ago. I will try and find either one of these programs to confirm that is how I created the Tombstone City tape. I think that one or both programs allowed copying in either direction.

Jacques

CASSRANS together with CASSLOAD are on Lima disk 0080b.dsk that can be found on the wht site under usergroups/lima.

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

thankyou becouse you try to help me but no, i am sure the programs are in TI Basic or XB, and i have the error in loading immediately after the first initial long whistle; it happen on 12 programs at now :(

it's a real strange problem becouse the tape is perfect and sound seems to be too... :(

anyway very interesting your suggestion on EA program on tape ;)

Hi Ciro!

Iv'e now got 2613 entries in Gamebase TI99/4A - I'm looking to get more stuff and I reckon there is more european cassette based games out there than I currently have - can you upload your TI99 stuff?

i am sorry OX but at now i can't upload or distribuite any program, you did a great job and i think it's would be very nice if you release out the GB as is, if will be possible we can add after missing any games ;) and create new TI99 GameBase version like M.A.M.E. :D

Hi guys,

today i write to you becouse maybe someone can halp me with any suggestions.

i'm converting some cassette tape programs to disk... so i load the program with my ti99 and my cassette recorder and after i save the program loaded on my floppy disk.

well, i have an error on some programs in different cassette...

the error is not in the data loading but always after the first long whistle...

for example in one cassette all programm load ok except for two with the same error after the whistle, and in another cassette there are three with this error.

anyone know how solve this problem ?

thankyou,

Cix ;)

Does your cassette player have tone control ?

Does your cassette player have tone control ?

hi Mark !! :D

Yes my recorder is the classic Texas Instruments Recorder, i tried to adjust the tone control but i have the same problem...

it change when i lower a lot the volume... the error will not after the first long whistle but after about 2 min. while read... but the volume is very lower... so i think it's normal...

i tried to load the program before with lower volume and after long whistle with highter volume... but the result is an error again after about two minuter while loading... ;)

Here is a link to a Windows utility that I've used to get those pesky files off old tapes. It works for almost any type of file that can be saved on tape -- Mini-Memory; TI Logo I & II; SA Adventure; TOD Modules; and many more. You just need a decent Windows audio program to save your file as an 8bit 44khz wave file uncompressed with no clipping. I used Audacity 3.1 to do this -- took a little while to tweak everything to record properly.

Ti-99/4a Cassette to PC Convertor V3.1

http://run.to/gods

Hope this helps

I have reread this thread from the beginning and I wonder if these are extremely long cassette programs. To load these you usually you have to remove the XB cartridge and sometimes do a CALL FILES(1). There are a few articles in MICROpendium describing how then to save such files to disk. It often involves saving half the program to one disk file and saving the other half to a second file and then merging the two. One article indicated that you could delete one line (perhap a REM line) and then do a CALL FILES(3) to reinstate access to disk. I have never tried this.

Jacques

Here is a link to a Windows utility that I've used to get those pesky files off old tapes. It works for almost any type of file that can be saved on tape -- Mini-Memory; TI Logo I & II; SA Adventure; TOD Modules; and many more. You just need a decent Windows audio program to save your file as an 8bit 44khz wave file uncompressed with no clipping. I used Audacity 3.1 to do this -- took a little while to tweak everything to record properly.

Hope this helps

I have used Tape994a and CS1er to convert BASIC files, but never MiniMemory dumps -- does that work? I actually have a couple of MiniMemory dumps which I desperately need to liberate from the serial magnetic media.

Hope this helps

ok Torrax... good info.... i will try it in this week.

thankyou ;)

I have reread this thread from the beginning and I wonder if these are extremely long cassette programs. To load these you usually you have to remove the XB cartridge and sometimes do a CALL FILES(1). There are a few articles in MICROpendium describing how then to save such files to disk. It often involves saving half the program to one disk file and saving the other half to a second file and then merging the two. One article indicated that you could delete one line (perhap a REM line) and then do a CALL FILES(3) to reinstate access to disk. I have never tried this.

Jacques

thankyou jacques for the info but the problem is not memory not enought, i have the problem before of the run of the program, it's while the tape recorder read the tape...

anyway thankyou for the good info ;)

Hope this helps

I have used Tape994a and CS1er to convert BASIC files, but never MiniMemory dumps -- does that work? I actually have a couple of MiniMemory dumps which I desperately need to liberate from the serial magnetic media.

Well... can you help me to understand how load minymemory programs ?... maybe i have someone on some cassette but i never loaded... ;)

Okay the "Ti-99/4a Cassette to PC Convertor" has made an FIAD EA5 Program Image of my LINES/Line-By-Line Assembler tape (same image on both sides). And the same with my Mini-Writer 1.0 cassette. Looks like we just need a disk based EA5 Program loader utility for the Mini-Mem to reload these files back into it. BACKUP 1 - REUSABILITY 0 (as is w/no extra utils).

I think there's a program called JLOAD or something like that to do this. Forgot how cassette limited the mini-memory was. Can anyone jog my memory on any other User Group based Mini-Memory utilities.

You can also hex edit the data into the MINIMEM.NV image; rename it; rename all associated files needed for your emulator; and tweak any necessary .XML files. Bit of work required there. But remember to keep a backup of all original .NV modified files in a separete folder. As this data can be trashed very easily. The safest is a disk based loader as mentioned above.

Tyler

Jacques

thankyou jacques for the info but the problem is not memory not enought, i have the problem before of the run of the program, it's while the tape recorder read the tape...

It may be that Jacques is on to a potential problem related to loading from cassette and VDP memory size. Try unplugging your Floppy disk controller and reloading the tape.

Jacques

It may be that Jacques is on to a potential problem related to loading from cassette and VDP memory size. Try unplugging your Floppy disk controller and reloading the tape.

perfect, i solved !!

i loaded a french Basic "p'TI Man" Game ! PacMan Clone :D

i unplagged the PEB and loaded... now i will try to load it with the PEB but without 32Kb, if not will fuction i will try to save it on a CF7 Card...

i will keep in touch ! :D

thankyou...

Edited by ti99userclub

You just need a decent Windows audio program to save your file as an 8bit 44khz wave file uncompressed with no clipping.

I used Audacity 3.1 to do this -- took a little while to tweak everything to record properly.

Hi Torrax,

about your infor i tried to do something but, on audacity site is written that the latest version is 1.3.13, you sure have the 3.1 or is a mismatch ?

more i can't set 8bit 44khz.

i can choice mono, 8bit, 8khz or 11khz, i can set only mono, 16bit, 44khz...

can you help me to understand where i wrong ?

thankyou,

Ciro.

UpDate:

Ok, i am in Panic !! .... HELP ! :D

if PEB is disconnected completly the program load OK, and i can play with it.

but the program not load with error if:

- The PEB is Connected and power ON without 32Kb o other cards, only Controller Interface and Disk Controller;

- The PEB is connected but is power off;

- The CF7 Card i connected;

the TI computer is always without any cartridge inserted. :???:

... have you any idea ? :idea:

the one i can try is to save the track in a wave mode as Torrax wrote me... but can't set audacity with that value :(

i need suggestion please... :(

UpDate:

Ok, i am in Panic !! .... HELP ! :D

if PEB is disconnected completly the program load OK, and i can play with it.

but the program not load with error if:

- The PEB is Connected and power ON without 32Kb o other cards, only Controller Interface and Disk Controller;

- The PEB is connected but is power off;

- The CF7 Card i connected;

the TI computer is always without any cartridge inserted. :???:

... have you any idea ? :idea:

the one i can try is to save the track in a wave mode as Torrax wrote me... but can't set audacity with that value :(

i need suggestion please... :(

Try typing a CALL FILES(1) and then NEW and then LOAD CS1

If that doesn't work then load the program form cassette, remove any and all uneeded code such as REM statements, resave to tape and then try the above again.

If that doesn't work the I believe your OOL.

Try typing a CALL FILES(1) and then NEW and then LOAD CS1

If that doesn't work then load the program form cassette, remove any and all uneeded code such as REM statements, resave to tape and then try the above again.

If that doesn't work the I believe your OOL.

LOL :lol:

thankyou for suggestions...

however i downloaded another wave recorder software, i will try this too ;)

about your infor i tried to do something but, on audacity site is written that the latest version is 1.3.13, you sure have the 3.1 or is a mismatch ?

more i can't set 8bit 44khz.

i can choice mono, 8bit, 8khz or 11khz, i can set only mono, 16bit, 44khz...

can you help me to understand where i wrong ?

Just a mismatch on the version. I have 1.3.13beta (unicode) on Windows 7. You can use either 16bit or 32bit when you initially record. When you have selected the area you want to save, select the "Export Selection" in the file menu. Click on options, select a header of "WAV (Microsoft)", and the encoding to "Unsigned 8 bit PCM". Click "Okay", and enter a filename. The program will resample every thing to the correct format.

Under preferrences (CTRL-P) and Quality, you can set the default quality sample to 16 or 32 bit float (I used 32). In Interface change the meter/waveform range to -96dB (PCM range of 16 bit samples). Also in the View menu turn on "Show Clipping". I'd suggest playing a tape and check your sound levels in the input level meter.

Let me know if this works.

Just a mismatch on the version. I have 1.3.13beta (unicode) on Windows 7. You can use either 16bit or 32bit when you initially record. When you have selected the area you want to save, select the "Export Selection" in the file menu. Click on options, select a header of "WAV (Microsoft)", and the encoding to "Unsigned 8 bit PCM". Click "Okay", and enter a filename. The program will resample every thing to the correct format.

Under preferrences (CTRL-P) and Quality, you can set the default quality sample to 16 or 32 bit float (I used 32). In Interface change the meter/waveform range to -96dB (PCM range of 16 bit samples). Also in the View menu turn on "Show Clipping". I'd suggest playing a tape and check your sound levels in the input level meter.

Ok perfect, now sound good !! :D

i done all setting correct, saved program and converted... :D

Thankyou for the Help, now i am trying to do the same with other programs !! :D

thankyou for real.

Ciro

Ok perfect, now sound good !! :D

i done all setting correct, saved program and converted... :D

Thankyou for the Help, now i am trying to do the same with other programs !! :D

thankyou for real.

Ciro

Nice, will you be uploading these programs Ciro?