IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 preorder starts now.

Simius

If they are not available anymore from Simius, Lotharek is offering the IDE Plus 2.0 as well.

Robert

I notice that some of the pictures on his site are of Revision B and others of Revision C. He also states that the 800XL requires a 5V PBI mod, which isn't necessary if the missing cartridge signals cable is used with the Revision C.

Difference is presence of additional 50-pin header for ribbon cable to PBI edge connector and 8-pin header for cartridge signal in rev.C only. This is significant only if interface is connected to XL-series computer. With 65/130XE it's doesn't matter.

Edited by Simius

If they are not available anymore from Simius, Lotharek is offering the IDE Plus 2.0 as well.

Robert

I notice that some of the pictures on his site are of Revision B and others of Revision C. He also states that the 800XL requires a 5V PBI mod, which isn't necessary if the missing cartridge signals cable is used with the Revision C.

I think all interfaces he offers are rev. C. As for the photos, these probably have been found on the net, and may even be partially rev. A.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that the backup battery is soldered in place, presumably because of clearance issues with the HDD. It would have made much more sense to install a battery holder on the underside of the board where there would be no clearance issue, and it would also be easy to change the battery. All that it would have required would have been another though-hole for the + battery connection.

An alternative would have been to mount the HDD further from the circuit board to allow clearance for a battery holder.

There are numerous cosmetic and practical design issues with the IDE Plus, not least the positioning of the RTC battery. Most notable is the apparent supposition that the owner will not wish to mount the unit in a case. Clearance between the back of the ECI connector and the side of the HDD or CF adapter is almost non-existent, and the fact the external cartridge slot is mounted on a protruding section of PCB makes finding a casing which also permits access to the SDX switch next to impossible. The overall compact design is laudible and the functionality excellent, but it puzzles me that such an otherwise professional piece of equipment is presented in a package which is so hard to house.

There are numerous cosmetic and practical design issues with the IDE Plus, not least the positioning of the RTC battery. Most notable is the apparent supposition that the owner will not wish to mount the unit in a case. Clearance between the back of the ECI connector and the side of the HDD or CF adapter is almost non-existent, and the fact the external cartridge slot is mounted on a protruding section of PCB makes finding a casing which also permits access to the SDX switch next to impossible. The overall compact design is laudible and the functionality excellent, but it puzzles me that such an otherwise professional piece of equipment is presented in a package which is so hard to house.

Yes, both ends of the circuit board are almost touching the XE case when it's plugged in. Making the Cart/ECI connectors only 5mm longer would have helped. If they had extended the other side of the circuit board as well, making the entire side the same as where the cartridge port is, there would have been room for a battery holder there without it being under the HDD, and a larger switch and power supply connection could have been installed as well if desired. This may have increased the cost but it would have been much easier to fit into an enclosure.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Are these still available and how much for one that i could fit into my 800xl.

Forgive me but i'm still new to all the modding side of Atari.

Ta

Daz

I don't know if/when there will be another run by the developers but, as mentioned in post #50, the IDE +2.0 is also available from Lotharek. These don't fit into an Atari, they connect to the PBI/ECI connection on an XL/XE.