IGNORED

Comparing the NES and 7800 on a technical level

DracIsBack

Based on my experiences owning an Atari 7800 at the time, the system felt more like a slightly upgraded Atari 2600 compared to the NES. Maybe that was because I only owned a few 7800 titles and they were the ports of Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Pole Position II and Food Fight (while I had over a couple dozen 2600 carts). I can appreciate the 7800's capabilities more now.

Based on my experiences owning an Atari 7800 at the time, the system felt more like a slightly upgraded Atari 2600 compared to the NES. Maybe that was because I only owned a few 7800 titles and they were the ports of Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Pole Position II and Food Fight (while I had over a couple dozen 2600 carts). I can appreciate the 7800's capabilities more now.

Just look at the line-up differences and what each system offered at the time:

Atari 7800 offerings...

1986:
01. Dig Dug
02. Galaga
03. Ms. Pac-Man
04. Pole Position II
05. Xevious
1987:
06. Asteroids
07. Ballblazer
08. Centipede
09. Choplifter!
10. Desert Falcon
11. Food Fight
12. Hat Trick
13. Impossible Mission
14. Joust
15. One-On-One Basketball
16. Robotron: 2084
17. Summer Games
18. Winter Games

18 games by the end of 1987; or better put in perspective - for the holiday season of 1987.
NES offerings...

1985:
01. 10-Yard Fight
02. Baseball
03. Clu Clu Land
04. Duck Hunt
05. Excitebike
06. Golf
07. Gyromite
08. Hogan's Alley
09. Ice Climber
10. Kung-Fu
11. Pinball
12. Soccer
13. Stack-Up
14. Super Mario Bros.
15. Tennis
16. Wild Gunman
17. Wrecking Crew
1986:
18. Donkey Kong
19. Donkey Kong 3
20. Donkey Kong Jr.
21. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
22. Mario Bros.
23. Popeye
24. Balloon Fight
25. Gumshoe
26. Mach Rider
27. Urban Champion
28. Tag Team Wrestling
29. Chubby Cherub
30. M.U.S.C.L.E.
31. Ninja Kid
32. 1942
33. Commando
34. Ghosts 'n Goblins
35. Gradius
36. Karate Champ
1987:
37. Athletic World
38. Trojan
39. Pro Wrestling
40. Slalom
41. Volleyball
42. Rush'n Attack
43. Track & Field
44. BurgerTime
45. Castlevania
46. Ikari Warriors
47. Kid Icarus
48. Mighty Bomb Jack
49. Rygar
50. Section Z
51. Solomon's Key
52. Arkanoid
53. Athena
54. Elevator Action
55. The Legend of Kage
56. Metroid
57. The Legend of Zelda
58. The 3-D Battles of WorldRunner
59. Deadly Towers
60. Double Dribble
61. Lode Runner
62. Raid on Bungeling Bay
63. Ring King
64. Sky Kid
65. Spelunker
66. Spy Hunter
67. Sqoon
68. Stadium Events
69. Star Voyager
70. Stinger
71. Tiger Heli
72. Winter Games
73. Rad Racer
74. Alpha Mission
75. Lunar Pool
76. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
77. Zanac
78. BreakThru
79. The Goonies II
80. Gotcha! The Sport!
81. Jaws
82. The Karate Kid
83. Kid Niki: Radical Ninja
84. Star Force
85. Super Pitfall
86. Top Gun
87. Side Pocket
88. Mega Man
89. Wizards & Warriors

89 games by the end of 1987. Even for the most die hard of Atari fan and loyalist, that was a very hard pill to swallow.
The breadth and depth of the NES library by 1987 was something the 7800 would not see during its entire retail lifespan. Consequently, the 7800 platform potential was paled back then in comparison to the kinetic demonstration of the NES platform. It's one of the reasons I've been and continue to be a supporter of the 7800...so much untapped potential.
The homebrew community for the 7800, both software and hardware, does amazing work in allowing the console to shine in a way overlooked or entirely missed, BITD. It's very cool to be able to appreciate the 7800 capabilities more now.
  • Like 3

Atari 7800 offerings...

1986:
01. Dig Dug
02. Galaga
03. Ms. Pac-Man
04. Pole Position II
05. Xevious
1987:
06. Asteroids
07. Ballblazer
08. Centipede
09. Choplifter!
10. Desert Falcon
11. Food Fight
12. Hat Trick
13. Impossible Mission
14. Joust
17. Summer Games
18. Winter Games

18 games by the end of 1987; or better put in perspective - for the holiday season of 1987.
NES offerings...

1985:
01. 10-Yard Fight
02. Baseball
03. Clu Clu Land
04. Duck Hunt
05. Excitebike
06. Golf
07. Gyromite
08. Hogan's Alley
09. Ice Climber
10. Kung-Fu
11. Pinball
12. Soccer
13. Stack-Up
14. Super Mario Bros.
15. Tennis
16. Wild Gunman
17. Wrecking Crew
1986:
18. Donkey Kong
19. Donkey Kong 3
20. Donkey Kong Jr.
21. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
22. Mario Bros.
23. Popeye
24. Balloon Fight
25. Gumshoe
26. Mach Rider
27. Urban Champion
28. Tag Team Wrestling
29. Chubby Cherub
30. M.U.S.C.L.E.
31. Ninja Kid
32. 1942
33. Commando
34. Ghosts 'n Goblins
35. Gradius
36. Karate Champ
1987:
37. Athletic World
38. Trojan
39. Pro Wrestling
40. Slalom
41. Volleyball
42. Rush'n Attack
43. Track & Field
44. BurgerTime
45. Castlevania
46. Ikari Warriors
47. Kid Icarus
48. Mighty Bomb Jack
49. Rygar
50. Section Z
51. Solomon's Key
52. Arkanoid
53. Athena
54. Elevator Action
55. The Legend of Kage
56. Metroid
57. The Legend of Zelda
59. Deadly Towers
60. Double Dribble
61. Lode Runner
63. Ring King
64. Sky Kid
65. Spelunker
66. Spy Hunter
67. Sqoon
68. Stadium Events
69. Star Voyager
70. Stinger
71. Tiger Heli
72. Winter Games
73. Rad Racer
74. Alpha Mission
75. Lunar Pool
77. Zanac
78. BreakThru
79. The Goonies II
80. Gotcha! The Sport!
81. Jaws
82. The Karate Kid
84. Star Force
85. Super Pitfall
86. Top Gun
87. Side Pocket
88. Mega Man
89. Wizards & Warriors

89 games by the end of 1987. Even for the most die hard of Atari fan and loyalist, that was a very hard pill to swallow.
The breadth and depth of the NES library by 1987 was something the 7800 would not see during its entire retail lifespan. Consequently, the 7800 platform potential was paled back then in comparison to the kinetic demonstration of the NES platform. It's one of the reasons I've been and continue to be a supporter of the 7800...so much untapped potential.
The homebrew community for the 7800, both software and hardware, does amazing work in allowing the console to shine in a way overlooked or entirely missed, BITD. It's very cool to be able to appreciate the 7800 capabilities more now.

Honestly I was surprised to find out that there are that many games for the 7800. I thought that there were around 11.

Edited by mbd30

I love the Atari 7800 but anyone that doesn't concede the NES was the superior machine without question has their head in the clouds.

The NES ruled for the whole generation and even somewhat into the next. The NES did everything it needed to do, was supported

by everyone as it was the machine to be on and continued to grow as it's retail lifespan carried out. The 7800 wasn't and isn't anything

compared to the NES. Full stop.

• Like 2

I love the Atari 7800 but anyone that doesn't concede the NES was the superior machine without question has their head in the clouds.

The NES ruled for the whole generation and even somewhat into the next. The NES did everything it needed to do, was supported

by everyone as it was the machine to be on and continued to grow as it's retail lifespan carried out. The 7800 wasn't and isn't anything

Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. There are games ported to both systems where the 7800 version is better.

Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. There are games ported to both systems where the 7800 version is better.

That is a clear case of the extreme minority. The sun shines on the dog's asshole once in a while too but that isn't common place.

There's no such thing as "universally superior".

The 7800 cannot replicate pixel for pixel the most impressive NES side scrollers, just as the NES can't move around anywhere near as many objects on the screen. The NES has brighter colours, the 7800 has more colours. The NES typically has higher resolution but no NES game matches the resolution of the highest resolution 7800 games. The NES has far superior sound, unless the 7800 was used as designed and has a sound chip in cartridge.

But put all that aside for a second. The NES has a better library because the NES was the most popular system and had better developer support. Developers who pushed the system, learned how to glean more out of the system and invested in development to make their games stand out. Full stop.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 9

There's no such thing as "universally superior".

The 7800 cannot replicate pixel for pixel the most impressive NES side scrollers, just as the NES can't move around anywhere near as many objects on the screen. The NES has brighter colours, the 7800 has more colours. The NES typically has higher resolution but no NES game matches the resolution of the highest resolution 7800 games. The NES has far superior sound, unless the 7800 was used as designed and has a sound chip in cartridge.

But put all that aside for a second. The NES has a better library because the NES was the most popular system and had better developer support. Developers who pushed the system, learned how to glean more out of the system and invested in development to make their games stand out. Full stop.

Which begs the question: Should Atari have axed the ST early when it became clear that it was becoming a dead letter here in the US and instead have focused on longer development cycles on the 7800 instead? Because it seems like the Tremiels simply thought that handing over port jobs to independent contractors was enough to get games onto the system.

Which begs the question: Should Atari have axed the ST early when it became clear that it was becoming a dead letter here in the US and instead have focused on longer development cycles on the 7800 instead? Because it seems like the Tremiels simply thought that handing over port jobs to independent contractors was enough to get games onto the system.

Good question.

Always felt to me like the Tramiels considered the video game department to be the business unit that funded the computer division's R&D. They treated it like a cash cow so the profits could help the ST line.

To be fair, the ST was dead in the USA but successful internationally for a number of years.

That didn't stop them from buying Federated.

Yeah - that was a bit of a boondoggle, wasn't it? Tramiel was used to be able to distribute his computers through mass merchants during his Commodore days, and when he got to Atari, that was a whole lot harder. Many of them weren't carrying computers at all and the computer stores weren't all that big on carrying Atari's computers. So they bought up Federated Electronics to try and fill the void in the USA.

You've probably already heard it, but in case you haven't, check out the Antic: The Atari 8Bit podcast where they interview Atari Corp's corporate council on Federated. It's pretty interesting.

Atari 7800 offerings...

1986:
01. Dig Dug
02. Galaga
03. Ms. Pac-Man
04. Pole Position II
05. Xevious
1987:
06. Asteroids
07. Ballblazer
08. Centipede
09. Choplifter!
10. Desert Falcon
11. Food Fight
12. Hat Trick
13. Impossible Mission
14. Joust
17. Summer Games
18. Winter Games

NES offerings...

1985:
01. 10-Yard Fight
02. Baseball
03. Clu Clu Land
04. Duck Hunt
05. Excitebike
06. Golf
07. Gyromite
08. Hogan's Alley
09. Ice Climber
10. Kung-Fu
11. Pinball
12. Soccer
13. Stack-Up
14. Super Mario Bros.
15. Tennis
16. Wild Gunman
17. Wrecking Crew
1986:
18. Donkey Kong
19. Donkey Kong 3
20. Donkey Kong Jr.
21. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
22. Mario Bros.
23. Popeye
24. Balloon Fight
25. Gumshoe
26. Mach Rider
27. Urban Champion
28. Tag Team Wrestling
29. Chubby Cherub
30. M.U.S.C.L.E.
31. Ninja Kid
32. 1942
33. Commando
34. Ghosts 'n Goblins
35. Gradius
36. Karate Champ
1987:
37. Athletic World
38. Trojan
39. Pro Wrestling
40. Slalom
41. Volleyball
42. Rush'n Attack
43. Track & Field
44. BurgerTime
45. Castlevania
46. Ikari Warriors
47. Kid Icarus
48. Mighty Bomb Jack
49. Rygar
50. Section Z
51. Solomon's Key
52. Arkanoid
53. Athena
54. Elevator Action
55. The Legend of Kage
56. Metroid
57. The Legend of Zelda
59. Deadly Towers
60. Double Dribble
61. Lode Runner
63. Ring King
64. Sky Kid
65. Spelunker
66. Spy Hunter
67. Sqoon
68. Stadium Events
69. Star Voyager
70. Stinger
71. Tiger Heli
72. Winter Games
73. Rad Racer
74. Alpha Mission
75. Lunar Pool
77. Zanac
78. BreakThru
79. The Goonies II
80. Gotcha! The Sport!
81. Jaws
82. The Karate Kid
84. Star Force
85. Super Pitfall
86. Top Gun
87. Side Pocket
88. Mega Man
89. Wizards & Warriors

You can't make that comparison, because the communist Nintendo didn't allow firms who did games for NES also releasing them for other consoles like the 7800.

Edited by high voltage

You can't make that comparison, because the communist Nintendo didn't allow firms who did games for NES also releasing them for other consoles like the 7800.

It’s funny how Atari Corp couldn’t actually prove this allegation in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Huh? The comparison was to show the factual number and name of games available for both systems by the end of 1987. Nowhere in the post is there commentary on any legal or circumstantial justification, or explanation, why that was the case. The comparison was technical in nature.

Having relatively few new games available with an overall lack of variety for the 7800, by the end of 1987 (Whatever the reason(s)), was much to my chagrin, not pleasure.

• Like 1

It’s funny how Atari Corp couldn’t actually prove this allegation in court.

The jury was technically "hung" on several points. In the end, Atari agreed not to appeal, Nintendo agreed not to sue to recover costs. And most importantly, Nintendo dropped the requirement.

At the time, it wasn't just Atari Corp suing. It was also Tengen (Atari Games), and they were being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission.

Here's an article from the time

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/business/fi-1361_1_video-game-market

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

The 7800 may have been able to compete in terms of graphics, but the sound was awful unless the cartridge used a POKEY chip, and the controllers were uncomfortable and outdated.

The sound was terrible because they used the exact same sound chip that was used for the 2600. And don't forget about the Atari 7800 game-pad!

The jury was technically "hung" on several points. In the end, Atari agreed not to appeal, Nintendo agreed not to sue to recover costs. And most importantly, Nintendo dropped the requirement.

At the time, it wasn't just Atari Corp suing. It was also Tengen (Atari Games), and they were being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission.

Here's an article from the time

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/business/fi-1361_1_video-game-market

The main point I was making was that Tremiel wanted Nintendo to be declared a monopoly over the issue of the exclusives rule. Tremiel didn’t get this because the jury found that having exclusive deals isn’t against the Sherman Antitrust Act. It’s from this case that the legality of Console exclusives from Third Parties exist. It’s why Microsoft and Sony throw billions at third parties in order to nab them from the competition.

As an aside: From what I’ve read, the jury only deadlocked over the ancillary issue of claims that Nintendo had forced department stores to drop competitors products by way of retail pullout threats. But because that had acquitted Nintendo over the monopoly issue, the judge was forced to acquit Nintendo on these charges because the ancillary charges needed the primary accusation to stick.

• Like 1

Basically, on a business level, it comes down to this... Nintendo came out swinging and never really stopped swinging. Atari came out kind of tentative, got backed into a corner, and subsequently overwhelmed by Nintendo. On a technical level, the systems were not *that* far apart from one another (sound chip disparities aside), in my eyes anyway. 7800 really should have had POKEY on board, though... it got robbed, in that regard.

• Like 4

The main point I was making was that Tremiel wanted Nintendo to be declared a monopoly over the issue of the exclusives rule. Tremiel didn’t get this because the jury found that having exclusive deals isn’t against the Sherman Antitrust Act. It’s from this case that the legality of Console exclusives from Third Parties exist. It’s why Microsoft and Sony throw billions at third parties in order to nab them from the competition.

As an aside: From what I’ve read, the jury only deadlocked over the ancillary issue of claims that Nintendo had forced department stores to drop competitors products by way of retail pullout threats. But because that had acquitted Nintendo over the monopoly issue, the judge was forced to acquit Nintendo on these charges because the ancillary charges needed the primary accusation to stick.

Reality is that - legal wranglings aside, Nintendo generated enough 'heat' from their 1980s dealings that they dropped many of the controversial items. The entire library was no longer exclusive to Nintendo; Developers could release as many games as they wanted on the system. Developers could manufacture their own cartridges at their own pricing. Nintendo settled the price fixing allegations regarding Super Mario Bros 3. Nintendo backed off on a lot of the retail aggressiveness allowing competitors to have equal footing etc.

... And the Genesis rose up against the mighty Nintendo ...

• Like 1

back when Nintendo hit the market it seems the taste in games were changing that people wanted a more complex experience with a game. Like super Mario bros and more so the legend of Zelda it seems more and more people wanted a game you could sit down and play for a few hours not just ten minutes. Atari seemed to needed to come up with something of their own like Zelda a more immersive game.

Honestly I was surprised to find out that there are that many games for the 7800. I thought that there were around 11.

Certain games were listed as available, but couldn't be found in stores anywhere. Impossible Mission and Summer Games took forever to make it to any stores near me. Like, I think 1989.

Lots of later games like Scrapyard Dog, Alien Brigade, Midnight Mutants I don't remember ever seeing in stores near me, and didn't find them until much later in the early 2000's when ebay came along.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is a clear case of the extreme minority. The sun shines on the dog's asshole once in a while too but that isn't common place.

This is the type of opinion that's common on Facebook even in Atari groups by people who allegedly are Atari fans. One guy always slagged on the 7800 any time the NES was cited and of course dissed the 5200 every chance he got.

It's like, yeah, the NES had a superior library thanks to Nintendo's illegal monopolistic practices. Had Atari Inc survived and launched the 7800 at Christmas 1984 as originally planned, Nintendo would've never become anything outside of Japan even to this day...

Edited by Lynxpro