IGNORED

ColecoVision on your Android Phone/Tablet

retroillucid

Yah! I got the same problem...2.2...my phone won't even let me download it. AS they just gave us a 2.2 upgrade a few months ago, I don't expect 2.3 will be coming anytime soon.

Only compatible with Android OS 2.3 and up. I have 2.2. :x

-B

I did some research and supposedly OS 2.3 ("Gingerbread") is supposed to be going out over the air this summer. We'll see...

I was really looking forward to trying it out :(

-B

On an Evo running 2.3... Not working-- just hangs so far. Tried a few different roms, all the same result.

Edit: ok, after some seraching around, it appears you need a COLECO.ROM fil ein your SD root. That got me running. Appears to work fairly well, although the grid-style keyboard ont eh touch screen is kinda weird to get used to. Your fingers cover part of the playfield! :)

Edited by Murph74

Tested on Galaxy S2 with Android 2.3.3 :

With COLECO.ROM at the root of the internal storage the application launches ok, I can select a ROM (rom main title is displayed) and event start play the game but freeze my phone each time I enter in the "setup" menu :-(

• 2 months later...

Awesome idea, Todd! To be honest, I don't play it much cuz it's so awkward to have on screen controls while trying to see the screen! :)

Yeah it kind of sucks using a controller and the screen as a monitor, but I hate touch screens for classic gaming. I am wondering if some of the tablets have USBs and allow for a controller to be plugged in. I know there is a site that sells a kit to convert controllers to USB. Maybe someone can post it. That would be a lot easier than trying to make a CV controller bluetooth.

You mean this? http://www.retrousb....?products_id=48

I never thought about USB accessories to be honest-- i always just assumed it was a charging port. :)

Here's a pre-made BT solution possibly. Could be 'hacked' to a CV controller maybe?

http://pocketnow.com/review/bgp100-bluetooth-gamepad

Edited by Murph74

Thanks I ordered one of those USB kits. I will start a thread and discuss the results, once I get it installed and tested.

I have seen the bluetooth controllers before, but for me nothing except the original ColecoVision controller feels right.

You might want to start your research on your phone first-- appears there's quite a few phones that don't offer USB hosting services, meaning USB won't work the same as it would on a PC.

That's ok, my iphone doesn't even have a USB port. I am going to use the USB controller on my Laptop. I have had several people ask me about installing the USB kit on a refurbed controller in the past, and want to know how well it works. I mostly use Ubuntu, but have Win XP on this laptop so I can give results for those 2 OS es.

Be pretty cool to hang out at the coffee shop playing ColecoVision on your laptop using a real CV controller.

While this may be taking this thread in a different direction, why not just get a cheap Playstation Portable (PSP-1000). A friend of mine gave me his a while back and I never used it until finally looking into ColecoVision emulators for use on it last year. What I found is that you don't have to "HACK" your PSP, rather download a program called "Half-Byte Loader" and copy it to the SD Card with the PSP ColecoVision emulator and rom files. That's it, your ready to play CV games where ever you go and for that matter a whole slew of other console, computer and arcade games via other emulators available for the PSP.

The PSP even has a Mini-USB port, so maybe using a real CV controller with it could be a possibility even though I have found the PSP controls to be quite good... except for games like Mouse Trap where you have to bring up the on-screen keypad.

I need my joystick to play ColecoVision, personally a gamepad just doesn't do it for me. Nor does using my left hand to move my character and my right to push the jump/fire button

Turn the dang PSP upside down then! :grin:

You'll get the control setup that you like and the other benefit to playing the games upside down would be an entirely new experience with each and every ColecoVision game. :-o

But seriously Yurkie, I hear you re. your preference as to the control layout and also wanting to use a real CV Hand Controller.

Most people probably think my hang up

With right joystick/left buttons is insane. If I didn't hate the Left hand pad, right buttons thing so much I would have had a PSP on release day, and would probably be a modern gaming geek. I can overcome my distaste and play other systems, but I always think that I wish could move my guy with my right hand.