IGNORED

Got screwed by GameStop today

Their is a chain here called gamerdoc and when you buy something there they open up an account based on your name and phone number, they input what ever you buy into your account and you have a lifetime warranty on what ever games you buy. All last gen games are $3 unless priced otherwise. http://www.gamerdoc.com/

Hell that doesn't sound too bad, are you saying last gen as in...anything that isn't Xbox 360 PS3 or Wii?

If so I might need to forward you my wish list icon_wink.gif

Edited by Itchy Koala
  • Like 1

This reminds me of the Funcoland days. I cheered when those ass clowns went out of business and it sounds like these guys are going down the same road.

(From Wikipedia)

"The company (Gamestop Corp) operates retail stores under the name GameStop, EB Games, Babbage's, Micromania, MovieStop, Planet X and FuncoLand."

Probably a reason why it perked your memory.

• Like 1

I've never bought used from Amazon since very often their new prices are so low.

I haven't shopped at GameSlop in years and haven't missed it a bit. For used titles:

I hit the many flea markets that are available in my area and always find GREAT deals.

We also have two Play 'n Trade's locally that carry used software/hardware for systems going back to the Atari 2600. Play n' Trade is a bit cheaper than GameSlop, gives more on trade-in's, and run a lot of specials, especially Buy 2 - Get 1 Free.

Pawn Shops and 2nd Hand stores are another source of cheap systems and games.

Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other charitable stores are still another source.

Plus I trade games with my sons who are also avid gamers.

Between all of the above options, I have no need (or desire) for shopping at GS.

Mendon

Good advice. That's what I miss most about CA, all those flea markets! If I have a game with scratches the video stores around me only charge $2 to resurface if that's an option.

Edited by thegamezmaster

Good advice. That's what I miss most about CA, all those flea markets! If I have a game with scratches the video stores around me only charge $2 to resurface if that's an option.

Of free if you care or take the time to develop a good rapport with the clerks of a video rental store or independent music store :)

Of free if you care or take the time to develop a good rapport with the clerks of a video rental store or independent music store :)

Yep, same with places around here. It doesn't cost anything to do it so theres no reason to be greedy and charge for it. Customers appreciate that icon_smile.gif

This reminds me of the Funcoland days. I cheered when those ass clowns went out of business and it sounds like these guys are going down the same road.

Aw, no. Funcoland was rad before Gamestop bought them out. I remember gettin' NES carts for 10¢ there. Couldn't get 'em for under $5 after the gamestop buyout.

Aw, no. Funcoland was rad before Gamestop bought them out. I remember gettin' NES carts for 10¢ there. Couldn't get 'em for under $5 after the gamestop buyout.

Yeah they had good prices back in the day and their newspaper style price list was pretty cool. I swear they hired the biggest A-holes they could find though.

@Mord

Thanks for that info. I always figured they went out of business because they treated their customers like crap.

+1 for bringing the word assclown back into the modern lexicon.

I think I visited a Funcoland only once. Gamestop killed 'em? Regretfully Gamestop sells new games so they are harder to kill.

I'd love to see some indy stores selling new product. But the small American business is dead, or close to it.

Its funny that they would claim a game needs resurfacing. I've never once bought a game from gamestop that showed any sign of every having been resurfaced. I always ask to see the discs before buying them on the rare occasion I actually buy from them, 90% of the time I say no thanks because they end up looking like the original owner took a fucking piece of sand paper to it. I've also started holding the discs up to strong light as well as I once got extremely screwed by them when they sold me a game with quite a bit of damage to the top of the disc.

• Like 1

Their is a chain here called gamerdoc and when you buy something there they open up an account based on your name and phone number, they input what ever you buy into your account and you have a lifetime warranty on what ever games you buy. All last gen games are $3 unless priced otherwise. http://www.gamerdoc.com/

Hell that doesn't sound too bad, are you saying last gen as in...anything that isn't Xbox 360 PS3 or Wii?

If so I might need to forward you my wish list icon_wink.gif

Well the one here has a pretty slim selection of games so you should try to find other AA members that have one in their area http://www.gamerdoc.com/locations.aspx :P

I do as well the only problem is some independent shops never lower their prices. you see games sitting on the self so long that is has sun damage. They are used already so for last generation games it's a toss up of buying it at a independent shop for $5-$15 or get it at EB/GS for $5 and under.

Really? Your GameStop sells last generation games for under $5?

Damn.

I was looking at Gamecube games at my GameStop a few weeks ago. They had rows and rows of them in paper envelopes, no boxes or manuals, just the discs. I don't think I saw a single game under $6.99, and most of them were $9.99 and up.

This is why I haven't purchased anything at GameStop in years.

• Like 1

I do as well the only problem is some independent shops never lower their prices. you see games sitting on the self so long that is has sun damage. They are used already so for last generation games it's a toss up of buying it at a independent shop for $5-$15 or get it at EB/GS for $5 and under.

Damn.

I was looking at Gamecube games at my GameStop a few weeks ago. They had rows and rows of them in paper envelopes, no boxes or manuals, just the discs. I don't think I saw a single game under $6.99, and most of them were $9.99 and up.

For the longest time none of the Gamestop stores in my area threw away cases, and I was wondering what all the commotion was about. The first time I walked in and saw the damn envelopes made me want to cry icon_frown.gif.

Edited by Itchy Koala

The concept of used games was more appealing back in the days of cartridges. With used discs you never know if what you get is going to be playable. Even when cleaned, a scratched disc might very well have lingering imperfections that will make your game freeze up at any point.

I'd love to see some indy stores selling new product. But the small American business is dead, or close to it.

The small business in America at this point is production. You have to have a way to make something and sell to make money or contract to get labor done. The mom and pop shop is dead. You can't really run a retail store as a small business anymore. Thank WalMart for that one. The small business can't buy enough bulk to compete with the big box stores so mom and pop are screwed.

Also, the companies that make games might complain about GameStop but they also supply them well enough to put any small timer down hard. There is no way you could get the right deals to get new games into your store on launch and compete with the larger retail changes, it just can't happen anymore.

If you deal with the devil, you're going to get burned, as the old adage goes. Gamestop is the devil as far as their buying/reselling of games (new and used) goes. I avoid them like the plague, especially with so many better options out there. Most of the better options require some patience though, so I guess that's why people still deal with Gamestop's BS.

Damn.

Well in the last 12 months or so many games have dropped in price. One week I see a game for $10 the next week (with the sticker stating a price change the day before) it was $1. I must have gotten at least 30 games for $1 each by now :D

This is for mostly the Original XBox games but I've seen it with some Gamecube games being $5 and under as well. But their gamecube games selection is being phased out.

Weird thing is some Original XBox games are cheaper then PS2 version which most of the time would have sold more. I picked up one game for $5 and the PS2 version was $15.

Of course the stores in my area have a moronic pricing system which explains some of it. Where "new" copies are cheaper then used games.

Even this Gen games, Last week I saw Goldeneye Wii used $34.99 "new" $27.99