IGNORED

Favorite Dreamcast game

Whenever this topic comes up (and it comes up a lot :ponder: ) I always have to put a good word in for Demolition Racer: No Exit. :thumbsup:

This one was the only game to come home with me when I first bought a DC and it will be the last one to ever leave. :love:

Shoot, forgot about that one. Yes, Demolition Racer: No Exit is awesome, and a great precursor to what became the Burnout series.

• 4 weeks later...

Satisfied of my recent Sega Saturn infatuation, I hooked up the DC again. Found this thread so I'll add to it. The Dreamcast has so many great games, the only reason I haven't played them recently is that I burned out of them from overplay in the 2000's. But it was really nice to see how well so many games hold up today such as:

Virtua tennis - man, I could not stop trying out this game yesterday. Its quick to start and very fun.

Toy Commander - Caf Jr started & beat this game in about 2 hours yesterday (he remembers a lot from before). I finally saw the ending and it was pretty awesome - you can Youtube it if you want. I don't know if its sweet, funny, mildly disturbing, or all of the above.

Crazy Taxi - this version has never been bettered because it still has the original stores and Offspring tunes, unlike recent re-releases. So much to master and eternally fun game.

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - me & the boys took turns. The DC controller is bad for these Capcom fighters, I really with I'd have bought something better because this game is just as awesome as the best SF games and thankfully even more unique and animated and filled with strategies. Hugo is awesome to behold.

Other than those I also played a round of Mr. Driller which is a great time waster, and GigaWing and GigaWing 2. GW2's visuals are better than I'd remembered, I mean "WOW". But I kind of prefer the gameplay in GW1. I'm not ready to try out Mars Matrix again!

What, no love for Super Explosive Bangai-o!!!!! all of you, go play this. now. the newer ones (DS, XBXLA) don't do this version justice. Explosions! so many missles!! And I'll throw in for Capcom Vs. SNK 2 being the best fighter ever made. I'm a huge fighter fan, and there hasn't been anything even close ever since.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Sega Marine Fishing, what a great game that is.

From the fun fishing action, to the mini-games, collectable/unlockables, and the awesome aquarium mode to swim around and view your catches and unlocks....its a brilliant game.

You also have to play Rez on the Dreamcast....so unbelievable.

MvC2 is awesome also.

What, no love for Super Explosive Bangai-o!!!!! all of you, go play this. now. the newer ones (DS, XBXLA) don't do this version justice. Explosions! so many missles!! And I'll throw in for Capcom Vs. SNK 2 being the best fighter ever made. I'm a huge fighter fan, and there hasn't been anything even close ever since.

Oh yeah, best version out there! If you can play it, that is. I think I was playing all my DC on a computer monitor & that one didn't have VGA support or something.

Wait, C Vs. SNK 2 over Garou MOTW? Even with the roll cancels and such, and the EO version kind of mucking it up? Interesting.

Edit: am I thinking of 1?

Yeah, I'd probably second capcom vs. snk 2 over MOTW, and I am the happy owner of MVS MOTW. The EO version of cvs2 wasn't on DC at all to my knowledge. And while MOTW has an excellent fighting system and a good balance between characters, Capcom Vs. SNK 2 had modern backgrounds, and a roster that really gives it the edge in my book. I like the 'groove options' as well. It 'mixes things up' a bit, while injecting what appears to be some history into the mix.

Besides, one of those games has Mai Shiranui and the other one doesn't...

Talk about a scenery downgrade.

Capcom Vs. SNK 2 is my favorite fighter. MOTW is excellent, but I consider it a competitor to the older Street Fighter III games--which is still pretty amazing given that it was running on the crusty old Neo Geo and not some new-fangled arcade system.

Edited by Reaperman

Wait, C Vs. SNK 2 over Garou MOTW? Even with the roll cancels and such, and the EO version kind of mucking it up? Interesting.

Edit: am I thinking of 1?

Yeah, I'd probably second capcom vs. snk 2 over MOTW, and I am the happy owner of MVS MOTW. The EO version of cvs2 wasn't on DC at all to my knowledge. And while MOTW has an excellent fighting system and a good balance between characters, Capcom Vs. SNK 2 had modern backgrounds, and a roster that really gives it the edge in my book. I like the 'groove options' as well. It 'mixes things up' a bit, while injecting what appears to be some history into the mix.

Besides, one of those games has Mai Shiranui and the other one doesn't...

Talk about a scenery downgrade.

Capcom Vs. SNK 2 is my favorite fighter. MOTW is excellent, but I consider it a competitor to the older Street Fighter III games--which is still pretty amazing given that it was running on the crusty old Neo Geo and not some new-fangled arcade system.

Them's Fightin' words! In a good way!

Yeah, EO was the GCN version with specials mapped to the C stick for babies.

One thing that bugs me about the game? The announcer.

My personal top 20:

Guilty Gear X

Guilty Gear XX accent core

Samurai Shodown 2

SF 2 CE

SSF 2 turbo

SF2

MOTW

Samurai Shodown

Capcom vs. snk 2

SF Alpha 2

Marvel Vs. Capcom

Night Warriors darkstalkers rev

X-men COTA

Guilty Gear

Guardian Heroes

SF alpha

Capcom vs. SNK 1

Shodown 3-6

SF IV

Tatsunoko capcom

KOF 95, 96, 97, 94

haven't played Blazblue yet; presumably it would be pretty high on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reworking my way from the start through Dreamcast Test Drive: Le Mans.

There is something about this racer that connects with me and did so from day 1 years ago. I can't succinctly describe what it is , but the game is just plain enjoyable to me on multiple levels - I even watch the replays with the wonderful camera system. There are not only the daytona-usa-style cameras, but also rotate, wheel-view, rear-view and TV-style presentation cameras. back in the day, it looked soooo photo-real. Now today it is no longer photo-real, but it still gives the illusion of being a real world race with how the physics and movement are tuned.

TDLM doesn't have the insane sense of speed that some games like Daytona USA and Burnout series have. But the game's refresh rate seems to be a solid, never-drop-a-frame 30fps. The sense of speed builds a sense of anticipation as you pass a car or drive under a sign. Its easy to notice the fine attention to detail of the various cars and their driving patterns, the bg elements and textures on the grass and roads. Tire marks left in the grass are still there in subsequent laps - that really impressed me back in the day.

The gameplay is a near-perfect mix of arcade with just enough sim details. You can adjust your downforce (low,normal,high settings) - on a course with many curves, setting a full downforce will pay off. You can adjust how much fuel you are carrying. For a 5-lap short track, if you cut back your fuel to 3/4 tank, your car won't be as weighed down at the beginning - it affects your performance! In longer races you'll have to pit to refuel and/or change your tires. And there is the choice of soft/hard/ice/rain tires too, which you should match to the track's current weather condition.

Speaking of weather, I just love the morning or dusk races where all the cars' lights are on. On a straight stretch, when you look in your rear-view mirror you can see all the lights trying to catch up to you. The car's AI is, perhaps not 100% realistic, but 100% perfect for this kind of game. You'll engage in bumping and rubbing and sometimes a car will pretty much run you into the grass. I haven't played enough to determine if a car will remember you if you do that to them - its been nearly 8 to 10 years since I played this game at length so I can't recall all the details of it. I'm not sure I'll have time to play all the championship but I must say, so far the game holds up just as well as I remember.

I never played the PS2 port but if I find it I will pick it up to compare.

Soul Calibur hooked up to a vga monitor!

Ready to Rumble, Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, VF 3, Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawk, Sega GT, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, ...

Basically a lot of good fighting and driving games on there. Always look for the ones that support vga because it makes a huge difference.

Man, this is a toughie, I love the DC so much...

But I will second the motions for Demolition Racer: No Exit, Toy Commander, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Sword of the Berzerk, Rush 2049, Typing of the Dead and Space Channel 5

And also recommend Plasma Sword, Confidential Mission, Dynamite Cop, Cannon Spike and Ooga Booga

It will always be Shenmue because of how I ended up playing it for long hours at a time. I remember being in one of these long sessions and keeping Ryo the main character out late and sneaking into the house. After a couple of times, the housekeeper confronted me about it when I got home one time. I hadn't until then realized Ryo was staying out that late.

It truly was a one of a kind game. I see why people like Shenmue 2 better (more action), but I would recommend starting with the original.

Edited by Numan

So much great games on Dreamcast , it is hard to choose.

But i would say in various styles :

Crazy Taxi

Soul Calibur

The Skies of Arcadia (really fantastic RPG imho)

Shenmue 1 & 2

Virtua Tennis

Ikagura

Rez

Stunt GP

Head Hunter

Samba di amigo

chu chu rocket (simple but addictive!)