IGNORED

Why the hate for "phone" controllers?

Is the Video Game Critic right about how much the Sega sports pad sucks? Anyone try this thing? http://videogamecritic.net/masterfl.htm#Great_Ice_Hockey

Wow, he gave it the full F-!!

I've noticed you referenced him a couple of times. I too am very fond of his reviews- he doesn't always like the games I like, but he usually hates the games I hate. :D I had to laugh when he wrote that the XEGS was designed by a gay interior decorator.

He has an account on AA, you should PM him sometime.

I'm a regular reader of the Critic's reviews. I occasionally post on his message board.

Now, in terms of the 5200, I really cannot recall using any of those phone buttons (other than Start). Were those more of a novelty?

For the most part, however...Realsports Baseball makes great use of them. You can pick your pitches, control the speed, etc..

Also, Defender alone warrants the keypad. While it's the same exact game on the 8-bit, having to reach for the keyboard to use hyperspace is more than a chore. By the time you hit the key on the keyboard you're dead. With the keypad you can just hit any random number on the nupad with your thumb.

Frogger also makes use if the numpad for those who can't play with pressing the fire button at the same time as you move in a direction. The 2 is up, 8 is down, 4 and 6 for left and right. Works well if you have the overlay, not so much without.