IGNORED

Best Adventures on the Atari ST?

Hi Guys - this should be a quickie, but I fear I maybe taking the can opener to the proverbial can of worms! - I'm looking for Graphic/text type adventures for my ST - you know the type - Level 9 did a few for the A8, wondered if they also did ST adventures too? or any other good writers for that matter? Hopefully adventures on the ST would have a bit of a better parser than the old "two word" commands of adventures on A8's - thats not to say A8 adventures were crap - some were awesome! So, any ideas folks? and also can you name and shame some stinkers too? Cheers all!

Thanks a lot guys - will look into those titles - just out of interest - what is the magnetic windowing system? not heard of it. I heard Another world is a good game - although my copy dont work! - will look out on evilbay - is it just me or are the disks for the ST not as reliable as the old 5" jobs they used on 8 bit machines? 99.9% of my A8 stuff works - where as I'd say only 75% of my ST stuff works - mind you - most of it has come 2nd hand from the bay of evil! lol! - cant complain though - my last lot cost me about £15 and for that I got a box of about 50 games - about 40 of which are working - may offer the remaining ones for free to fellow Atarians to see if they'll work on other machines.

Thanks a lot guys - will look into those titles - just out of interest - what is the magnetic windowing system? not heard of it. ...

Don't let that name confuse you :twisted: It is just system of firm Magnetic Scrolls . Basically, it is custom WIMP for playing games. So, Windows, Icons, Mouse, Pull-down menus . Most similar to MAC 'Windows' . I guess that they made platform independent main code for it, as games were made for most of 16-bitters.

There are couple other games for ST with WIMP, as Deja Vu 1-2, Uninvited, Shadowgate . But they use regular GEM, AES .

Edited by AstFan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

is it just me or are the disks for the ST not as reliable as the old 5" jobs they used on 8 bit machines? 99.9% of my A8 stuff works - where as I'd say only 75% of my ST stuff works

It's not just you, I have had terrible luck with 3.5" disks overall, a lot of ST ones have gone bad and I only had somewhat better luck with the HD disks for PC. And yet 5 years ago my mom found a bunch of A8 5.25" disk games that were buried under a bunch of junk in an outdoor shed for 10 years in an extremely humid and cold damp area close to Seattle. I was shocked to see that about 65% of those disks still worked.

• 4 weeks later...