IGNORED

Atari CX10 vs CX40 vs Slik Stik vs GemStick - My Review

SlowCoder

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on the Epyx stick:

atari_joysticks_epyx500xj.jpg

It's one of my favorites. :)

I had high hopes for that, but it gave me hand cramps. I took it back to the store.

I got mine for $1 in a thrift store so... That might be one of the reasons I'm so happy with it. :)

I had high hopes for that, but it gave me hand cramps. I took it back to the store.

I got mine for $1 in a thrift store so... That might be one of the reasons I'm so happy with it. :)

Yep, I bought mine back when it was new at the stores.

If the Epyx stick is anything like the NES one, it has a nice click to it, but the button is in an odd place and it's terrible with diagonals.

I haven't seen the NES one, but the Atari version I have has you grip the base, and has the button right where your index finger naturally rests.

Diagonals can be a little awkward with it, but I wouldn't say they're terrible.

That's where the buttons are on the NES, but it has two instead of one. It looks similar to the atari version. It's not so natural to me since the buttons are on the side rather than the top and they are oddly shaped.

If the Epyx stick is anything like the NES one, it has a nice click to it, but the button is in an odd place and it's terrible with diagonals.

I haven't seen the NES one, but the Atari version I have has you grip the base, and has the button right where your index finger naturally rests.

Diagonals can be a little awkward with it, but I wouldn't say they're terrible.

That's where the buttons are on the NES, but it has two instead of one. It looks similar to the atari version. It's not so natural to me since the buttons are on the side rather than the top and they are oddly shaped.

I had one of these for my C64. Loved it as a kid, nice and confertable and a great joystick. Now, with adult hands, I'm not sure it would fit as well.

i got just about all the wicos and suncoms

the wicos have lots of throw cause they have leaf switches inside

the only wico i hate is the black max and severly dislike the ergo

the bat, the ball,the grip,the boss are all great

i hate nearly all the suncoms be it the starfighter or even the much acclaimed tac 2

i like the tac-3 but i have one that is similar called the tac3 and it kinda sucks the hyphen makes all the difference i suppose

my favorite stick is the championship pro its got microswitches and it truely is arcade action

ive never liked the atari or gemstick ive broken so many shafts

i also like the joystick called hot stuff it has an autofire switch i have so many joysticks it makes me a tad sick to my stomach

The thing I don't like about the Wicos is I can't adapt to the way I have to control them. I control a joystick like I hold a pencil. I only use my thumb, index finger, and middle finger to grip it. My hand moves just like I'm writing or drawing. The dome around the base of the stick and the length of the stick makes it impossible to hold it that way. I feel like the only way I can hold it is grip all four fingers around it and put my thumb on top. It feels as ackward as trying to write holding a pencil that way. The only one that comes close to comfortable is the one with the ball on top. I put the stick in between my index finger and middle finger with them touching the bottom of the ball. I use my thumb to hit the button on top. Everything else about the Wicos I like. I like the colors, the feel of the buttons, and how solid they are. If Wico made a CX-40 clone I would probably like it more than the TAC-2.

Send me one and maybe I will. ;)

It's a very fancy controller... I have two of them, but they shouldn't be handled rough. The red plastic on the control stick can break if you rough house with it. It's ok but sometimes it feels a little akward to hold, but it feels better/more natural then the regular atari Joysticks.

The red plastic on the control stick can break if you rough house with it...

Get a Competition Pro 5000 then.

competition_pro_5000.jpg?w=283&h=300

Un-break-able!

How are the Competition Pro 9000 and new Competition Pro Retros?

There's a USB Competition Pro now too. I found out about their existance by accident when I was trying to search for Competition Pro 9000.

No idea about the 9000, but I know that some 5000 retros are real crap while others are rock solid (like the ones in your link I guess) like the originals (which you can find on a fleamarket at least here in Germany quit easily). The USB version is bad, because it updates only 15 times/second which is too slow for fast and precise gaming.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

No idea about the 9000, but I know that some 5000 retros are real crap while others are rock solid (like the ones in your link I guess) like the originals (which you can find on a fleamarket at least here in Germany quit easily). The USB version is bad, because it updates only 15 times/second which is too slow for fast and precise gaming.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just go for the original 5000.

I've had a few Slik Stiks and they often have grease on the inside. You can clean it out.

I bet you could repair that TAC-2 with a little welding.

Thanks, does it function better with grease?

I use mine without grease but I assume new grease makes them function better than old grease.

Cool, it's definitely new grease in there.

I've had a few Slik Stiks and they often have grease on the inside. You can clean it out.

I bet you could repair that TAC-2 with a little welding.

Thanks, does it function better with grease?

I use mine without grease but I assume new grease makes them function better than old grease.

Cool, it's definitely new grease in there.

On the 2 or 3 I've resurrected I just clean the grease out. I'm not sure why it's in there unless to try to prevent corrosion.