IGNORED

TRS-80 Model 2...any games?

BassGuitari

I understand the TRS-80 Model 2 was pretty much strictly a business machine, and that as such, no game software was ever released for it (to my knowledge). But has anyone ever converted games or game code for other systems (TRS-80 Model I?)to run on a Model 2? How feasible would it be to convert the code of standard BASIC games of the day (Star Trek, Blackjack, Hammurabi, etc)?

I just got one of these beasts (actually a "Tandy 2," along with a Disk Expansion unit...three 8" floppy drives, yikes!) this weekend and I'd like do have some fun with it. I need to track down a BASIC boot disk or something, first, anyway -it boots to "insert diskette"- but I'm curious as to what the possibilities of playing games on this machine might be.

:)

Sure there were games for the TRS-80. Scroll down the left side column to see some examples They were in black and white or green and were really nothing to write home about but they existed. Many of the games also later appeared on the Coco.

EDIT - Sorry, didn't read that you were talking about the Model II. Yep, that's the business one. It sucks. :D

Edited by AtariLeaf

I seem to recall that an early version of Nethack (Hack?) was available on the Model II (or perhaps that was the Model 16, it's been a long time...).

Can the Model II run CP/M? If so, this would expand the selection of text-mode games a bit.

Getting new software onto the machine may present a challenge, however.

According to one of the Adventure International catalog scans I have, the Scott Adams adventures were ported to the Model 2.

Adventure 1-12 on one disk for a mere 129.95$.

Probably rather rare. I wouldn't rule out that there are more games. Infocom for example apparently didn't bring out specific versions of their games though, this was probably one of the systems that was supposed to run their CP/M releases.

Edited by Gatherer of Data
  • Like 1

I just got one of these beasts (actually a "Tandy 2," along with a Disk Expansion unit...three 8" floppy drives, yikes!) this weekend and I'd like do have some fun with it. I need to track down a BASIC boot disk or something, first, anyway -it boots to "insert diskette"- but I'm curious as to what the possibilities of playing games on this machine might be.

:)

Ohh but do indeed post some pics of this find! My daddy used to have one of these. I clearly remember playing a lunar lander game on it. But otherwise gaming was next to non-existent here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

There was a Star Trek game released for it, and seemingly legitimately licensed as well.  

See page 64 of the 1980 TRS-80 Applications Software Sourcebook:

STARTREK (TM) FOR THE MODEL II MIN REQ:MOD2-64K-1DISK 

A LARGE VERSION WITH GRAPHICS 
DESCRIPTION: TM DESIGNATES TRADEMARK OF THE PARAMOUNT PICTURES CORPORATION

SOURCE: CLM ASSOCIATES

53 WESTWOOD AVENUE
BRIDGETON, NJ 08302

PHONE: (609) 451-7964 

SUPPLIED AS:

CASS -----

DISK PRICE: 19.95 

SOURCE LIST -----

I haven't been able to find any other information about it.  Interesting that back in that time, providing the source code was still so common that it was a normal field in a listing.

• Like 2

The Model II archive has some TRSDOS games:

https://github.com/pski/model2archive/tree/master/Software/Games

The Xenix prebuild image also has some games but could be tough to load on a real machine.

https://github.com/pski/model2archive/tree/master/Software/Xenix/700-3039 - XENIX Multi-User Operating System/v03.03.00/HD_Images

https://github.com/pski/model2archive/tree/master/Software/Xenix/Xenix_Games

Wheel of Fortune (wof) is pretty good.

Found some more in page 33 of the H&A CompuTronics Catalog #12:

(24) COMPUTER GAMES (SBSG) Mean Checker Machine. Star Trek III. Concentration. Treasure Hunt. Banco. Dog Star Adventure ........ $74.95

(25) INTERACTIVE FICTION ... is a story-teller using a computer, so that you, the reader, can actually take part in the story instead of merely reading.... $49.95.

Then on page 42, it lists the following as available on 8" disks for CP/M machines:

Bridge Master

BRIDGE MASTER is our most popular DYNACOMP program -- a comprehensive bridge program designed to provide hours of challenging competition. The program plays the North hand as your partner and East-West as your opponents. Bidding features include the Blackwood convention, Slayman convention, pre-emptive openings, and recognition of demand bids and jump-shift responses. After playing a specific hand you may replay the same hand, with the option of switching cards with your computer opponents. This feature allows you to compare your bidding and playing skills to those of the program. A unique feature of BRIDGE MASTER is its scorekeeping capability. Points scored for each hand are calculated and bonuses for game contracts and slams are awarded as in duplicate bridge. Doubled contracts are scored based upon a computer-assigned vulnerability. Individual hand scores are tabulated and an accumulative score card is displayed at the conclusion of each hand played. The score card displays a summary of total hands played, total points scored, number of contracts made and set, and % bids made. The program saves the scores to a disk file and can display the last hand played -- so you can come back to a game at any time. Requires 24K memory (48K on Atari). Price: $29.95 (diskette), $32.45 (8" CP/M disk).

Blackjack Coach

Learn and practice your blackjack skills with the "Coach" giving advice. Test various playing and betting strategies. Program will analyze just which parts of your strategy work and which do not. Includes 30-page tutorial manual. Price: $29.95 (cassette), $33.95 (diskette), $36.45 (8" CP/M disk).

Flight Simulator

This realistic mathematical simulation allows you to take off, fly, navigate, and land an airplane.· The FLIGHT SIMULATOR realistically portrays the problems associates with stalls, land.ing with the nose wheel first, crosswinds, etc. You can practice touch-and-go landings, take a cross-country trip, or just practfce exercising the flight controls; flaps, trim, elevators, ailerons and throttle. All versions run in 16K memory. Price: $19.9'5 (cassette), $23.95 (diskette), $26.45 (8" CP/M disk).

Starbase 3.2

This is a new and exciting program related to the classic "Star Trek" type computer simulations of interstellar warfare, with many significant enhancements. Your tactics and strategy are put to the ultimate test as you direct your forces in a conflict on a battlefield that stretches across light-years of space. Price: $13.95 (cassette). $17.95 (diskette). $20.45 (8" CP/ M disk).

Oh, and bear in mind that a June 1983 US dollar is worth $3.10 in January 2024 dollars.  So that first item, "COMPUTER GAMES", in today's money cost $232.34 plus another half-cent (but who's counting??)

• Like 1

I dimly recall that the Flight Simulator game was the subject of an article in Byte magazine in about 1982. It may have published the listing or just reviewed the game. I do not have the issue handy to verify.

The Bridge game seems really complex. I wonder how many copies were sold of such a very niche title.

Found two more listings on Page 200 of the Applications Software Sourcebook Vol. 4 from 1982.  It looks like three listings at first but the first two are duplicates, so I've skipped the redundancy.  That first listing is a package of four games.

Model II Graphics Games for 1 or 2 players

Min Req: Mod 2 64K - 1 Disk

Description: You are in the space frigate Toramo. Escape from the deadly alien in the maze of the ship's superstructure. Nerve-shattering pressure. This plus 3 other exciting, arcade-like games of skill.

Source:

LDA (also given as LDA Associates)

11078 Viacha Dr.

San Diego, CA 92124

Phone:

(714) 292-5924

Supplied as:

CASS: --------

DISK: 55.00

SOURCE LIST: -------

And here's the second listing:

Model 2 game by The Information Utility

Min Req: Mod 2 64K - 1 Disk

A quality action game for beginners or experts. 1 or 2 players. Features include automatic speed up.  5 speed levels, on-screen scoring. Strategy is required. Surround your opponent or play alone and beat your record.

Source:

Larry A. Coulter

Box 441

Pequot Lakes, MN 56472

Phone:

(218) 568-4449

Supplied as:

CASS: ---------

DISK: 55.00

SOURCE LIST: ----------

This sourcebook was open access.  Anyone could pay $10 to get a program listed in it.  It's funny how either the submitters, or Tandy's data entry people, seemed to put a description of the game, rather than the title, in the TITLE field of the database or form, so we may never know what the actual names of these games were!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2011 at 9:03 PM, AtariLeaf said:

EDIT - Sorry, didn't read that you were talking about the Model II. Yep, that's the business one. It sucks. :D

LOL!   My only experience with Model IIs was in high school.  They were mostly used by the teaching staff for recording grades and printing.

Luckily we the students got to use the Model IVP in the typing/computer lab.

• 4 weeks later...